CO2, Mini, or Frame pump?

Mini pumps are frustrating and hard work and CO2 would be a reasonable idea if frame pumps didn't weigh a lot less than a full water bottle. So I use a frame pump that is actually a floor pump - it gets me to 120psi in less than 2 minutes and offers almost infinite redundancy.

I carry a Nashbar combo inflator. Use the pump to check the tube and seat the bead, then hit it with the CO2. Takes either a road or mountain bike tire up to normal pressure. Nice to have the pump to fall back on if you run out of cartridges.

alienator said:
My wife and daughter were in Milan two years ago, and they said it was like a garbage dump. Muy dirty city.
Stayed in Riccione and rode in the hills of Emilia-Romagna. The roads and towns looked almost litter-free....but it could be my standards are low :)

dhk2 said:
Stayed in Riccione and rode in the hills of Emilia-Romagna. The roads and towns looked almost litter-free....but it could be my standards are low :)

Nah, your standards aren't low: it was just the way Milan was, at least that summer. They thunked that the rest of what they saw of Italy was clean.

Got a tip for you guys! CO2 cost about $3 unthreaded and $4 threaded, right? Go any sports shop that is NOT in NYC or LA and purchase a case of 50 CO2 BB gun cartrigdes. It cost about $25 so that comes out to roughly $0.50 per cartridge. SAVES A LOT OF $$$. I tell the costumers this all the time when the boss isn't around.

alienator said:
Nah, your standards aren't low: it was just the way Milan was, at least that summer. They thunked that the rest of what they saw of Italy was clean.
Unfortunately big Italian cities are not well kept at all, and the entire concept of maintaining public spaces has not sunk into the mindset here (public space = everyone's property = no one's property = who cares if I litter).

Inshallah one day this will change... :(

artemidorus said:
Mini pumps are frustrating and hard work and CO2 would be a reasonable idea if frame pumps didn't weigh a lot less than a full water bottle. So I use a frame pump that is actually a floor pump - it gets me to 120psi in less than 2 minutes and offers almost infinite redundancy.
Care to provide a bit more information? Would be curious about the make and model, if you do not mind. Grazie.

2 tubes, 2 CO2 Cartridges, puncture repair outfit and a combi mini-pump/CO2 inflator. If you're having a bad day you're having a bad day. More than 2 punctures and the repair kit comes out and use the mini-pump (which is awful) but enough to get the tire up to ride to a shop/home or find a fellow cyclists that will help!

Pumping up a tire/Piercing a CO2 canister on a hot day or after a long cycle.......hmmmmm easy choice!

Incidently who throws their spent catridges at the road side!!!! It really takes a lot to carry it back home where it came from you lazy f*ck!!!!! Some people chuck the tubes as well!!!! Grrrrrrr.

rowskein said:
Incidently who throws their spent catridges at the road side!!!! It really takes a lot to carry it back home where it came from you lazy f*ck!!!!!
Now now, you're starting to sound like Alienator:D.

rowskein said:
Pumping up a tire/Piercing a CO2 canister on a hot day or after a long cycle.......hmmmmm easy choice!
Denying yourself of additional training credits? And I thought that you were out for TRAINING. :confused:

Powerful Pete said:
Care to provide a bit more information? Would be curious about the make and model, if you do not mind. Grazie.
I use the Topeak Mountain Morph, because it has a wider bore and pumps larger volumes than the Road Morph. I'm a fairly big boy, so I can still take it to 120psi fairly quickly. If you were Roberto Heras, you might prefer the Road Morph.
Topeak gear, in my experience, is never rubbish.

rowskein said:
Incidently who throws their spent catridges at the road side!!!! It really takes a lot to carry it back home where it came from you lazy f*ck!!!!! Some people chuck the tubes as well!!!! Grrrrrrr.
He's already admitted that he was joking.

Yes, these (link) are great. I've got the alloy version (65grams) on my race bike.
Never had to use it racing but testing it at home it was sweet:)

CAMPYBOB said:
http://www.topeak.com/products/Mini-Pumps/MicroRocketCB

54 grams (55 with the rubber valve hole plug) and enough carbon fibre for three extra style points.

I've pumped up about a half-dozen roadside tube changes with it and I doubt it takes two minutes to get up to rideable pressure. There's nothing wrong with CO2 inflators. On long training rides that roam far from home I carry one just in case the pump fails.

Ha.
I'm such a newbie, I just bought a standard floor pump about a week and a half ago, and even had problems trying to figure THAT out :eek:
Little did I know there is more than one type of valve on a tire...thank goodness for youtube.

Now I have to pick between a mini pump or CO2?! Man am I behind...

SpeakRed said:
Ha.
I'm such a newbie, I just bought a standard floor pump about a week and a half ago, and even had problems trying to figure THAT out :eek:
Little did I know there is more than one type of valve on a tire...thank goodness for youtube.

Just get yourself a Topeak Two Timer. You'll get the best of both worlds.

SpeakRed said:
Ha.

Well, you also need to be careful when choosing pumps for other reasons. You need to determine whether HM (high modulus) or SEHM (special extra high modulus) barrel on your pump. You need to determine, then, whether the fiber matte needs nanotubes in the resin. Also, depending on where you live, it may be necessary to use ceramic bearings.

alienator said:
Well, you also need to be careful when choosing pumps for other reasons. You need to determine whether HM (high modulus) or SEHM (special extra high modulus) barrel on your pump. You need to determine, then, whether the fiber matte needs nanotubes in the resin. Also, depending on where you live, it may be necessary to use ceramic bearings.
My LBS should know all of this...right? To be honest I don't know what any of it means :(

SpeakRed said:
My LBS should know all of this...right? To be honest I don't know what any of it means :(
Your LBS probably won't know what this is either, but don't worry, you are just trying to buy it, not design it. Alienator sometimes forgets that not everyone is a doctoral candidate. The best thing is to try and ignore his posts if you don't understand them.

SpeakRed said:
Alienator is screwing with you. Other than knowing what kind of valve your tubes use, Schraeder or Presta, you are OK with any mini pump. Most minipumps today are compatible with both types of tubes. As a general rule, smaller pumps are lighter but take more work pumping to get the tires inflated to proper pressure. A relatively larger minipump (or frame pump) can be easier to use, but is more of a hassle (weight and bulk) to ride with. A CO2 cartiridge inflator is light and easy to use, but you only get one shot to fill your tire. You need one cartiride for every flat you get. So most of us carry two or three cartridges.