co2 pump advice needed

njclifford

Apr 27, 2006
Hey guys, looking at a co2 pump.

Want to know what people own and love or hate.

I am also wanting the differences between threaded and unthreaded... and also the dual pumps.

Can you use the standard Soda CO2 canisters (would be a LOT cheaper!)

AM looking at the Air Chuck.. means I nead threaded (more expensive). ANy thoughts?

Also, for people in OZ, where can you bulk buy canisters from? Local bike shop is charging $9 for ONE 16gm threaded! THANKS

Nick

njclifford said:
Hey guys, looking at a co2 pump.

Want to know what people own and love or hate.

I am also wanting the differences between threaded and unthreaded... and also the dual pumps.

Can you use the standard Soda CO2 canisters (would be a LOT cheaper!)

AM looking at the Air Chuck.. means I nead threaded (more expensive). ANy thoughts?

Also, for people in OZ, where can you bulk buy canisters from? Local bike shop is charging $9 for ONE 16gm threaded! THANKS

Nick
I use a combination Co2 dispenser/mini hand pump. It's almost the same size as just a Co2 dispenser. I buy a box of threadless Co2 cartridges from Walmart. They are in the air gun department. I forget, but I think they cost around 25 cents each. I carry two tubes and two Co2s, plus 10 glueless patches. The mini pump takes a lot of strokes, but you don't have to use it until your third flat.

The air chuck is the way to go with threaded 16g catridges(you can get these off of ebay for cheaper). Don't even bother with 10 or 12g catridiges from walmart because they won't give you the tire pressure that you need depeding on if you use something around 125 to 150.

Also I use the "titan-one" mini pump that is made of titanium and carbon, it's not a mutipump so there's no CO2 involved, but you get is something that weighs around 70 grams and attaches to the water cage bosses. This is my favorite pump for training as it gets the job done fast and has has minimal weigth. I think they make an all carbon pump that gets close to 60 grams and both pumps will get you 130psi.

The innovations air chuck is great for racing if you don't have wheel support, but that's the only time I carry around a CO2 pump, there just too wastful and expensive for daily training. Total weight for a air chuck and one 16g catridge is around 80 grams, I just store mine in my mini seat wedge.

I went CO2 so I could stick the whole thing (including three carts plus tubes and tools) in my seat bag and get it off my frame - my bike is too pretty to put a pump on and if you hang one from your bottle cage it might rub your leg while you're pedalling.

12g untreaded carts are the cheapest and most available so I got an inflator that would use them - I think it's a SuperFlate or something. Takes my 23c tire up to about 90 psi and that's plenty to finish the ride after a flat - you surely don't need 150psi! If you have bigger tires and want to use 16g carts Pedro's makes a good one that'll use both.

I don't understand the "top it off with a pump" concept at all - the hardest part is the last 20 strokes - if you're going to do that what's the point of having CO2 at all?

I've had three flats on the same ride exactly zero times in 23 years of riding. Two flats in the same ride probably five times. Three carts two tubes and a patch kit in my seatbag is plenty of safety margin.

heathb said:
The air chuck is the way to go with threaded 16g catridges(you can get these off of ebay for cheaper). Don't even bother with 10 or 12g catridiges from walmart because they won't give you the tire pressure that you need depeding on if you use something around 125 to 150.

Also I use the "titan-one" mini pump that is made of titanium and carbon, it's not a mutipump so there's no CO2 involved, but you get is something that weighs around 70 grams and attaches to the water cage bosses. This is my favorite pump for training as it gets the job done fast and has has minimal weigth. I think they make an all carbon pump that gets close to 60 grams and both pumps will get you 130psi.

The innovations air chuck is great for racing if you don't have wheel support, but that's the only time I carry around a CO2 pump, there just too wastful and expensive for daily training. Total weight for a air chuck and one 16g catridge is around 80 grams, I just store mine in my mini seat wedge.
The maximum psi for a Michelin Pro2 race 700x23 clincher is 116psi. Inflated with the freezing air of a 12g Co2, it expands to 95psi when warm and then, more as riding increases it's temperature. Five strokes from a Seconed Wind combination mini pump/Co2 dispenser, before you inject the Co2, will get you over 100psi. And then, riding takes it higher. I feel sorry for anyone who's bike and/or body weight requires more than that. My inflation approach allows me to stow it, and two 50gram tubes, in one jersey pocket, with space left over. While beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, I think out of site looks better than hanging a bag under your seat and a pump on the side of a beautiful down tube. What I carry in my jersey pockets, including a cell phone, has been all I needed in 50,000 miles, without ever having to make a call for help.

Just get a good quality mini-pump you can put in your pocket. and a proper floor pump for the shed at home. The bit of effort you have to put into pumpig up the occasional tyre will do you good.

I use the zefal airflash Co2 with regulator, to control the flow, works with both the threaded 12g (road) and 16g (mtb) cannisters. The regulator allows you to put a bit of air in intially to tube so you don't pinch it getting the tire to fit and then use the rest of the Co2 to fill the tyre. The presta / schrader valve adaptor that comes with it, allows you to top up the air at the petrol station. Its also very compact being only the size of the Co2 cylinder, it doesn't look like this until your ready to use it.

zefalairflash.jpg

otherworld said:
Just get a good quality mini-pump you can put in your pocket. and a proper floor pump for the shed at home. The bit of effort you have to put into pumpig up the occasional tyre will do you good.
If pumping a mini-pump "will do you good", why did you buy a floor pump?

lks said:
If pumping a mini-pump "will do you good", why did you buy a floor pump?
A mini pump will get your tyres up to about 90 or 100 psi without too much difficulty which is plenty for continuing the training ride or getting home etc. Most mini pumps don’t have a gauge though and certainly not a reliable one if they do. One has a floor pump (with gauge) at home to do most of the tyre work more efficiently, to the correct and usually slightly higher pressure and also to take to the track where much higher tyre pressures are used.