CO2 Pump

ddallam

Oct 4, 2003
I'm thinking about getting a CO2 pump. Can anyone tell me how much pressure a CO2 cartridge puts into an empty 700c clincher tube? Are there different size cartridges, and if so do they apply different pressures? I read somewhere on this forum that some recommend emptying out the CO2 and refilling with air "when you get home". What's the reason for this? Thanks.

ddallam said:
I'm thinking about getting a CO2 pump. Can anyone tell me how much pressure a CO2 cartridge puts into an empty 700c clincher tube? Are there different size cartridges, and if so do they apply different pressures? I read somewhere on this forum that some recommend emptying out the CO2 and refilling with air "when you get home". What's the reason for this? Thanks.
A 16 gram cartidge will get a 23mm road tire up to 100-120 psi. The reason for re-pumping your tires is that C02 is a smaller molecule than the N2 that makes up most of ambient air, so it leaks through the tube faster.

CO2 is okay for the quick fix. A 12 g cartridge will give you about 95 psi and the 16 g will give you about 115-120 psi but need to be careful with the max tire pressure. I had an incident where I used the 16g cyclinder and blew a hole on the sidewall of my tire leaving me completely stranded for an hour until my wife rescued me.

dfvcad said:
... be careful with the max tire pressure. I had an incident where I used the 16g cyclinder and blew a hole on the sidewall of my tire leaving me completely stranded for an hour until my wife rescued me.
That's a good point. When the CO2 expands on its way out of the cartridge, it gets really cold. The tire pressure will increase when it warms up, so you want to stop a little short of the pressure you want. It's worth it to get an inflator that has a good valve for controlling the gas flow.

My Co2 Pump has saved me on numerous occassions, and a couple of stranded Cyclists I've come across on my travels....

I use a 16 gram Cartridge with my innovations Pump...I don't know how much pressure they pump up to but it's best to pump in short bursts in my experience, not one long one, you reduce the risk of bursting the Tire and it prevents the Gas from freezing in the Valve...it doesn't get TOO cold...and check the tire for hardness in between, also, try and hold the Cartridge upright when pumping....

It's true that a Co2 Pump is only a quick fix, let all the Co2 out when you get home and pump the Tire up with real air....otherwise your tire will be flat again in a few Days....

A couple of tips....
1. Inflate the new Tube with your mouth before you put it into the Tire to help prevent a pinch flat, don't waste Gas...

2. When you buy your Inflator, buy a couple of extra Cartridges and use one to practice at home before you need to use it on a ride at the side of the road...there's nothing worse than experimenting or figuring out how to use something at the side of the road...in the rain...when it's starting to get dark....

If you use a Co2 inflator correctly they really do work!!

ddallam said: