Coaches: Bend over, USAC will drive!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Moreusacrap, May 14, 2003.

  1. Moreusacrap

    Moreusacrap Guest

    in the latest act of brilliance from one olympic plaza, usac has pretty much butt raped all of their
    licensed coaches. you see, they worked out a deal with carmichael training systems so all licensed
    members can get free coaching.

    so basically, anybody thinking about hiring a coach is going to go cts to see if they like it. so,
    for those trying to make money doing this, no more new clients.

    prediction: within 1 month, cts will be announced as the official coaching firm of usa cycling.
    wait... that means chris and craig griffen get their jobs back

    until next week....

    Tags:

  2. Sam

    Sam Guest

    Bet not on any of those predictions.

    "MoreUSACrap" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > in the latest act of brilliance from one olympic plaza, usac has pretty
    much
    > butt raped all of their licensed coaches. you see, they worked out a deal
    with
    > carmichael training systems so all licensed members can get free coaching.
    >
    > so basically, anybody thinking about hiring a coach is going to go cts to
    see
    > if they like it. so, for those trying to make money doing this, no more
    new
    > clients.
    >
    > prediction: within 1 month, cts will be announced as the official
    coaching
    > firm of usa cycling. wait... that means chris and craig griffen get their
    jobs
    > back
    >
    > until next week....

  3. Kenbhart

    Kenbhart Guest

    Is there an "official declaration" of this somewhere? I would like to get some free coaching before
    they realize their mistakes and take it away...

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (MoreUSACrap) writes:

    >in the latest act of brilliance from one olympic plaza, usac has pretty much butt raped all of
    >their licensed coaches. you see, they worked out a deal with carmichael training systems so all
    >licensed members can get free coaching.
    >
    >so basically, anybody thinking about hiring a coach is going to go cts to see if they like it. so,
    >for those trying to make money doing this, no more new clients.
    >
    >prediction: within 1 month, cts will be announced as the official coaching firm of usa cycling.
    >wait... that means chris and craig griffen get their jobs back
    >
    >until next week....

    | Ken B Hart @ aol.com |

  4. Soidirectr

    Soidirectr Guest

    Carmichael Training Partners With USA Cycling

    MAY 15, 2003 -- COLORADO SPRINGS, C0 (BRAIN)--USA Cycling members can get free and reduced-cost
    training assistance from Carmichael Training Systems under an agreement USAC and the coaching group
    just signed.

    As a start, all new and renewing USA Cycling members will get one month of free Carmichael Training
    Systems (CTS) coaching via a USAC-licensed coach, a free copy of the CTS Train Right video, and a 25
    percent savings on continued coaching, said Sean Petty, vice president of marketing for the cycling
    association.

    "There are several strong components of the partnership, ranging from membership programs, coaching
    seminars, event participation, camps and scholarships. The key benefit is designed to help USA
    Cycling members improve their performance with the assistance of CTS coaches," Petty said.

    "Whether a rider's goal is to win their category, finish ahead of their friends or just have more
    fun cycling, this is an opportunity for all USA Cycling annual members, regardless of skill level,
    to experience the value of a structured plan and coaching," he added.

    USAC will recognize CTS as an official sponsor and the official training partner of USA Cycling.

    For more information visit www.usacycling.org or www.trainright.com.

  5. J Dash Me

    J Dash Me Guest

    This can't be legal.

  6. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    "J DASH ME" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > This can't be legal.

    One has to wonder...

    Andy Coggan (who is old enough to remember when VeloNews was the official publication of the ABLA,
    and how Competitive Cyclist successfully sued to end that relationship)

  7. Jim James

    Jim James Guest

    Pretty outrageous. I bet Sam's phone is going crazy ver the latest CTS Blue Light Special! Can't
    wait to see USAC back pedal away from this one. Who would have agreed to this partnership? Create an
    entire department to educate coaches and then have them all bend over so the old guard can once
    again profit. Brilliant...Has anything good ever come out of the Springs?

    _JJ_

    [email protected] (MoreUSACrap) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > in the latest act of brilliance from one olympic plaza, usac has pretty much butt raped all of
    > their licensed coaches. you see, they worked out a deal with carmichael training systems so all
    > licensed members can get free coaching.
    >
    > so basically, anybody thinking about hiring a coach is going to go cts to see if they like it. so,
    > for those trying to make money doing this, no more new clients.
    >
    > prediction: within 1 month, cts will be announced as the official coaching firm of usa cycling.
    > wait... that means chris and craig griffen get their jobs back
    >
    > until next week....

  8. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    I don't think that there's any question that this arrangement is unfair to all non-CTS,
    USAC-licensed coaches (who represent maybe 2-3% of all USAC members, and pay perhaps 5% of all
    license fees?). If the point of the program is to promote coaching (for the benefit of either riders
    or coaches), it's too bad that it wasn't handled this way (an idea suggested to me by somebody else,
    but one that I think is a very good one): provide all licensed riders with a certificate redeemable
    for 1 month (or whatever) of free coaching by *any* participating USAC-licensed coach. If the issue
    is one of perceived coaching quality, you could limit the program to, e.g., only those who hold
    elite coaching licenses. Similarly, there would be no requirement that a coach would have to
    participate - just the opportunity to do so. (Of course, such a program wouldn't generate the income
    for USAC that the deal with CTS probably does, but I'd hate to think that USAC basically sold out
    part of their constiuency in pursuit of the almighty dollar.)

    As it stands, I'm not sure what would motivate somebody to renew their coaching license with an
    organization that is basically steering customers away from them and to somebody else...

    Andy Coggan

    "Soidirectr" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Carmichael Training Partners With USA Cycling
    >
    > MAY 15, 2003 -- COLORADO SPRINGS, C0 (BRAIN)--USA Cycling members can get
    free
    > and reduced-cost training assistance from Carmichael Training Systems
    under an
    > agreement USAC and the coaching group just signed.
    >
    > As a start, all new and renewing USA Cycling members will get one month of
    free
    > Carmichael Training Systems (CTS) coaching via a USAC-licensed coach, a
    free
    > copy of the CTS Train Right video, and a 25 percent savings on continued coaching, said Sean
    > Petty, vice president of marketing for the cycling association.
    >
    > "There are several strong components of the partnership, ranging from membership programs,
    > coaching seminars, event participation, camps and scholarships. The key benefit is designed to
    > help USA Cycling members
    improve
    > their performance with the assistance of CTS coaches," Petty said.
    >
    > "Whether a rider's goal is to win their category, finish ahead of their
    friends
    > or just have more fun cycling, this is an opportunity for all USA Cycling annual members,
    > regardless of skill level, to experience the value of a structured plan and coaching," he added.
    >
    > USAC will recognize CTS as an official sponsor and the official training partner of USA Cycling.
    >
    > For more information visit www.usacycling.org or www.trainright.com.

  9. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    Note also that Performance Bike is offering a similar deal to its Team Performance members. That is
    certainly quite proper in a business sense. I do have a vague recollection that Adam Myerson was
    doing some writing for the Performance email magazine last year. I can only assume that CTS is in
    the process of squeezing out the competition and apparently doing a good job of it.

    There was an argument made by the old Competitive Cyclist that given the ABL/USAC monopoly on
    governance of the sport, the granting of official/formal status to one producer was an illegal
    tie-in violating anti-trust laws. The trial court ruled against CC, IIRC, and an appeal by VeloNews
    (under Barbara George) and USAC was abandoned. That may still be a valid argument against the
    USAC/CTS deal but litigating it is not inexpensive---just ask Les Earnst.

> [...]
    > > Petty, vice president of marketing for the cycling association.
    > >
    > > "There are several strong components of the partnership, ranging from membership programs,
    > > coaching seminars, event participation, camps and scholarships. The key benefit is designed to
    > > help USA Cycling members
    > improve
    > > their performance with the assistance of CTS coaches," Petty said.
    > >
    > > "Whether a rider's goal is to win their category, finish ahead of their
    > friends
    > > or just have more fun cycling, this is an opportunity for all USA
    Cycling
    > > annual members, regardless of skill level, to experience the value of a structured plan and
    > > coaching," he added.
    > >
    > > USAC will recognize CTS as an official sponsor and the official training partner of USA Cycling.

  10. Moreusacrap

    Moreusacrap Guest

    >Is there an "official declaration" of this somewhere? I would like to get some free coaching before
    >they realize their mistakes and take it away...

    everybody should. get your videos and sell them on ebay.

  11. Omc

    Omc Guest

    > Note also that Performance Bike is offering a similar deal to its Team Performance members. That
    > is certainly quite proper in a business sense. I do have a vague recollection that Adam Myerson
    > was doing some writing for the Performance email magazine last year. I can only assume that CTS is
    > in the process of squeezing out the competition and apparently doing a good job of it.

    Performance is an offical sponsor of USA Cycling as well as United Airlines. Performance has
    exclusive access to the USAC membership list, no other cycling companies may purchase this list.
    United Airlines has a similar arrangement. The assumption is that those companies pay for the
    "rights" to become the exclusive sponsor of USAC. How do you decide what is a legal relationships
    with USAC or an attempt to squeeze out the competition ? Not exactly a fan of CTS, but are they any
    different than the Performance contract. Colorado Cyclist, Excel have no access to those members
    even if they wanted to purchase the list. Just how much sponsorship dollars does USAC bring in from
    these exclusive agreements ? Sponsorship dollars are important to all governing bodies at the OTC,
    but this one with CTS sure shoves into the grey area !

    OMC

  12. "TritonRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am amazed at the lack of outrage here. When the government hands Halliburton oil contracts
    > without competition, the left (most of this board) bitch up a storm, when USAC does exactly the
    > same thing and hands shit over to thier buddies the noise is fairly muted.

    Grow up. Complaining about something like oil contracts, many millions of dollars of public money,
    the integrity of our political system and the role of private corporations in setting foreign policy
    is a fair bit more important than our little sport, or the livelihood of a couple hundred coaches.
    The latter is important sure, but your lame dig at the "left" is way, way out of proportion.

    JT

    NB: reply-to address is munged

    Visit http://www.jt10000.com

  13. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "OMC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Note also that Performance Bike is offering a similar deal to its Team Performance members. That
    > > is certainly quite proper in a business
    sense. I
    > > do have a vague recollection that Adam Myerson was doing some writing
    for
    > > the Performance email magazine last year. I can only assume that CTS is
    in
    > > the process of squeezing out the competition and apparently doing a good
    job
    > > of it.
    > >

    > Performance is an offical sponsor of USA Cycling as well as United Airlines. Performance has
    > exclusive access to the USAC membership list, no other cycling companies may purchase this list.
    > United Airlines has a similar arrangement. The assumption is that those companies pay for the
    > "rights" to become the exclusive sponsor of USAC. How do you decide what is a legal relationships
    > with USAC or an attempt to squeeze out the competition ? Not exactly a fan of CTS, but are they
    > any different than the Performance contract. Colorado Cyclist, Excel have no access to those
    > members even if they wanted to purchase the list. Just how much sponsorship dollars does USAC
    > bring in from these exclusive agreements ? Sponsorship dollars are important to all governing
    > bodies at the OTC, but this one with CTS sure shoves into the grey area !
    >
    > OMC

    I think Bill Crowther answered some of your post quite well in asking how much CTS paid for the
    right to this deal, at the expense coaches licensed by USAC. Performance does indeed pay a fee for
    exclusive use of a marketing/mailing list. The difference is that there is no other cataloger being
    trained and sanctioned by USAC and potentially being put out of business by USAC's actions.

  14. FWIW, he was JIM McFadden. Randy Legeai (who is old enough to remember riding to races with
    Jim McFadden)

    "Magni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > CC actually lost in court but threatened a cosly appeal at which point VN settled and was no
    > longer included in the license fee. The federation then started it's own in-house publication and
    > the CC owner/editor, Gary McFadden, became the USCF house organ's editor after closing down CC. He
    > also closed down CC after completeing a major subscription drive at races throughout the country.
    >
    > "Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "J DASH ME" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > > This can't be legal.
    > >
    > > One has to wonder...
    > >
    > > Andy Coggan (who is old enough to remember when VeloNews was the official publication of the
    > > ABLA, and how Competitive Cyclist successfully sued to end that relationship)

  15. John Lopez

    John Lopez Guest

    Funny, I am getting duplicate copies of Excel now. One is for the address I gave them and one is for
    the address only the USCF uses

    address contains extraneous information that doesn't prevent the delivery of the catalog. In other
    words, Performance isn't the only company with USCF's mailing list. -John