Coaching for South Africas booming cycling population

bikeshop

Nov 26, 2004
This past weekend I took part in an Expert Clinic for USA cycling coaches in Atlanta Georgia, USA. (I am an expert level cycling coach with USA cycling).
At the clinic I had the pleasure of meeting a young college student from South Africa who was telling me that South Africa had a booming cycling scene but an overall small number of qualified coaches to help people properly design training plans and improvement. I was curious if this was the situation. I have been coaching a young lady from Walvis Bay Namibia for a year now and we work extremely well together. I am interested in expanding my coaching business overseas and would love to concentrate on this market if it does truly have the need.
Does anyone there in South Africa have an opinion on this?
If so I would love to hear your insight.
Thanks so much for any help.
David Grigsby
USAC Expert level coach
www.everybodysbikecoach.com

It's true the market is booming here. But as far as online coaching goes...I am not so sure. Maybe try posting on www.thehubsa.co.za

How does online coaching work? What benifits would I get from a personal online coach as compared to say, following a structered eating plan and the Carmicheal DVD's for training and for questions and advice post on forums. Not slagging online personal coaching, just intrigued on how it works etc.

phazer said:
It's true the market is booming here. But as far as online coaching goes...I am not so sure. Maybe try posting on www.thehubsa.co.za

How does online coaching work? What benifits would I get from a personal online coach as compared to say, following a structered eating plan and the Carmicheal DVD's for training and for questions and advice post on forums. Not slagging online personal coaching, just intrigued on how it works etc.
Thanks Phazer. I will try the query on thehubsa.
Actually I get that question all the time and its a very valid one. I copied and pasted the points below from my website. (I really wasnt trying to turn this post into an ad so I am sorry it has turned into one).
Like most coaches I began as a recreational rider wannabe racer and did exactly what you just did with a diet and training plan (mine was a Greg Lemond plan back in the day, today its Carmicheal, tomorrow it will be someone elses). But what I found is that the improvements were slow and not very dramatic. I finally got a coach and let him guide me, test me, and adjust my plan according to the feedback I gave and it was a revelation. I was so floored by the results that I decided to become a coach.
Online coaching is simple. The athlete and the coach use the same interactive website. The coach builds a program based on all the information gathered from the athlete about his or her background, current training or athletic status, goals, training time, strengths and weaknesses, etc. Then the workout is posted on a calendar for the athlete to log into. Each time an athlete completes the specified workout and logs the results, the coach reviews it and makes any necessary comments or adjustments. Its a work in progress rather than a pre-made, one-size-fits-all training plan written by a person who coaches someone famous and knows nothing about you.
I found out first hand that the training plan that made Greg Lemond a 3-time TDF champion couldnt get me to the podium in a small local race. After 6 months with my first coach, I was winning state titles. :)
Individualization: Coaches use their expertise to create individualized training programs that meet your specific needs.

Feedback: Coaches provide experienced feedback and evaluation of your training and racing.

Measurement: Coaches can measure improvement in your performance through physiological and performance testing.

Motivation: Coaches provide the guidance and advice that are necessary to maintain confidence and motivation.

Perspective: Coaches offer a trained perspective that may be different than your own.

Improvement: For all of the above reasons, a coach can take you to a higher level of performance. Take your cycling to the next level!

Dave