Coast To Coast ( advice wanted)

Skunk

Apr 29, 2003
I am in my early forties. I took up cycling a year ago and haven't hardly had a day not on the bike since. I hadn't done any exercise in my adult life since early twenties and drank loadsa beer and smoked loadsa fags.
Anyway, I'm now planning to do a coast to coast in England - 150 miles/240 kilometres over a weekend in early August.
Any advice on training and what to take would be appreciated. I don't think I'll need panniers as my wife is meeting up with me each night in the camper van so spare clothes etc. shouldn't be a problem.
I currently ride a hybrid - Dawes Discovery and cycle 13 kilometres to work each way to work monday to friday and do a couple of twenty mile/ 30k rides, one at the weekend and one evening, and play 5-a-side footie a couple of evenings a week. I've cut down a lot on the beer and only have the occassional ciggie now - I know what you're gonna say about that, but I'm trying.
I'm planning on travelling by van to the start on Friday and doing a half day of 25miles/40k and then 2 full days of 50 miles/80k and a last half day agian of 25 miles/40k.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Sorry if something similar has been posted elsewhere ut I'm a first time poster and I couldn't see anything similar, though there are a lot of boards to look at.
Cheers.
Happy trails.

You won't have any problems completing the ride as long as you are prepared well!

Your longest single ride is 50 miles so its important that your diet on the bike is good and you drink a lot of water as you ride. Recovery between rides will also be dependant upon a good diet between rides.

As your longest rides to date have been 20 miles, its important that you try to put in one longer ride a week (perhaps adding 3-5 miles every couple of weeks). When you are happy to ride 40 miles in one session, the extra 10 miles you'll need to find for the coast to coast will be in your legs.

Other things that might help are riding your too and from work at a higher intensity and do some climbing work. These will help you maintain a higher pace during the ride (so its over sooner) and give you more confidence.

Cheers for that. the longest I've done is 42 miles/3 hours. I try and keep upping the tempo but doing more time is harded because of a three year old ball of energy that needs a lot of attention. I read a bit on energy drinks on here, is there one anyone would recommend just for a 3/4 hour steady cycle.

You shouldn't really need an energy drink for a ride of that duration unless you are 'low on stores' before you start. Plain water will do.

When you decide on what you will have on your longer ride (e.g. PSP, etc.) you can practice taking it on these shorter rides.

Good luck!