Coaster Brake for 3 spd hub

On Mar 13, 2:45 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> Does anyone know if you can convert the Shimano 3-spd coaster brake
> hub into a roller brake?
>
> thanks,
>
> alan.

Well, it's *possible*, if you have a fully-equipped machine shop and a
couple months of spare time. Both the internals and the external shell
are different between the coaster-brake and the roller-brake version.

Here's an exploded view of the coaster-brake version:
http://tinyurl.com/35fnax
and here's one for the roller-brake version:
http://tinyurl.com/32r5lu

It would be *far* easier and cheaper to simply buy a roller-brake hub.

Jeff

[email protected] wrote:

> Does anyone know if you can convert the Shimano 3-spd coaster brake
> hub into a roller brake?

You can't do it. I question why you'd even want to-- the Shimano
roller brake is a mushy, fade-prone piece of junk that will let you
down when you need it most.

It would be much easier (though I have not done it myself) to disable
the coaster brake and install a rim brake.

What's your problem with the coaster brake anyway?

Chalo