Coaster Brake in Winter

cmcanulty

Guest
I ride junker one speed coaster brake bikes in winter and have
problems with the brakes. It is very cold and snowy here and lots of
road slop and salt. Each winter the brakes are OK for a while and then
the bikes get the brake stuck on and it freewheels backwards . I
overhaul the hub and it works a short while and again brake is full on
and pedal goes freely back. Any help, Carol M

cmcanulty wrote:
> I ride junker one speed coaster brake bikes in winter and have
> problems with the brakes. It is very cold and snowy here and lots of
> road slop and salt. Each winter the brakes are OK for a while and then
> the bikes get the brake stuck on and it freewheels backwards . I
> overhaul the hub and it works a short while and again brake is full on
> and pedal goes freely back. Any help, Carol M

The retarder assembly needs oil, not grease, in cold temperatures.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 05:52:25 -0800, cmcanulty wrote:

> I ride junker one speed coaster brake bikes in winter and have
> problems with the brakes. It is very cold and snowy here and lots of
> road slop and salt. Each winter the brakes are OK for a while and then
> the bikes get the brake stuck on and it freewheels backwards . I
> overhaul the hub and it works a short while and again brake is full on
> and pedal goes freely back. Any help, Carol M

Use a low temperature grease, like Lubriplate Mag-1.

Matt O.

Matt O'Toole wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 05:52:25 -0800, cmcanulty wrote:
>
>> I ride junker one speed coaster brake bikes in winter and have
>> problems with the brakes. It is very cold and snowy here and lots of
>> road slop and salt. Each winter the brakes are OK for a while and then
>> the bikes get the brake stuck on and it freewheels backwards . I
>> overhaul the hub and it works a short while and again brake is full on
>> and pedal goes freely back. Any help, Carol M

> Use a low temperature grease, like Lubriplate Mag-1.
>
> Matt O.

After struggling with frozen derailleurs and grinding rim brakes in the
past I find coaster brake bikes fit the winter riding bill rather well.

I use snowmobile synthetic grease on both my Shimano and F&S coaster
brakes, seems to work OK within the limits of my riding temperatures
from +33C down to -24C with slop, sand and salt added to the mix.

Marcus