Coaster brake removal?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Jens Arnfast, Apr 15, 2004.

  1. Jens Arnfast

    Jens Arnfast Guest

    Hi,

    I've got a rear hub with 7 integral gears and a coaster brake - and I
    _hate_ coaster brakes - I want to free-wheel! :)

    Being naïve I thought I only needed to cut of the brake arm but that
    wasn't enough.. *sigh* now I can ride backwards (like those fancy little
    trickbikes)

    So.. can I open up the hub and remove the brake cone - or maybe cut it a
    bit so I obtain free-wheel action instead of braking or backwards motion?

    --
    Cheers,
    -jens

    Tags:

  2. Jens Arnfast wrote:

    > I've got a rear hub with 7 integral gears and a coaster brake - and I
    > _hate_ coaster brakes - I want to free-wheel! :)

    I've been able to freewheel on all the coaster brakes I've used. Do you
    mean you want to be able to pedal backwards while coasting? If so, why?

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    Now is the time for all good men to come to.
    -- Walt Kelly

  3. Jens Arnfast

    Jens Arnfast Guest

    Benjamin Lewis wrote:
    >>I've got a rear hub with 7 integral gears and a coaster brake - and I
    >>_hate_ coaster brakes - I want to free-wheel! :)

    > I've been able to freewheel on all the coaster brakes I've used. Do you
    > mean you want to be able to pedal backwards while coasting? If so, why?

    That is what I ment, sorry for being unclear.

    Why? .. uhm.. yeaah.. I just want to - ok? ;-)

    The coaster brakes just annoy me - kinda takes the fun out of riding for me.

    --
    -jens

  4. Jens Arnfast wrote:

    > Benjamin Lewis wrote:
    >>> I've got a rear hub with 7 integral gears and a coaster brake - and I
    >>> _hate_ coaster brakes - I want to free-wheel! :)

    >> I've been able to freewheel on all the coaster brakes I've used. Do you
    >> mean you want to be able to pedal backwards while coasting? If so, why?

    > That is what I ment, sorry for being unclear.
    >
    > Why? .. uhm.. yeaah.. I just want to - ok? ;-)

    Hey, that's a good enough reason for me. I was just curious.

    > The coaster brakes just annoy me - kinda takes the fun out of riding for
    > me.

    And that's the biggest concern. <--- (not sarcasm, btw)

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    Now is the time for all good men to come to.
    -- Walt Kelly

  5. Jens Arnfast

    Jens Arnfast Guest

    Benjamin Lewis wrote:
    >>The coaster brakes just annoy me - kinda takes the fun out of riding for
    >>me.

    > And that's the biggest concern. <--- (not sarcasm, btw)

    It sure is.

    My bike has been locked down for over a year now.. then I decided to
    spend a little time getting it running again - spent a few bucks on new
    tires, tubes and what-not.

    And during the first "test-drive" I figured out why I hadn't used it for
    so long - that *bleeping* coaster brake!

    So, I'm betting if I don't remove it now the bike will stand unused for
    another year :-/

    ... and the fact I'm too much of a cheap-ass to throw out a otherwise
    good bike :)

    --
    -jens

  6. Jens Arnfast wrote:

    > Benjamin Lewis wrote:
    >>> The coaster brakes just annoy me - kinda takes the fun out of riding
    >>> for me.

    >> And that's the biggest concern. <--- (not sarcasm, btw)

    > It sure is.
    >
    > My bike has been locked down for over a year now.. then I decided to
    > spend a little time getting it running again - spent a few bucks on new
    > tires, tubes and what-not.
    >
    > And during the first "test-drive" I figured out why I hadn't used it for
    > so long - that *bleeping* coaster brake!
    >
    > So, I'm betting if I don't remove it now the bike will stand unused for
    > another year :-/
    >
    > .. and the fact I'm too much of a cheap-ass to throw out a otherwise good
    > bike :)

    Fixing a bike the way you like it yourself is way more mentally rewarding
    than buying a new one, even if you have all the money in the world to spend
    on getting it custom made to your more exact specifications.

    --

  7. Jens Arnfast writes:

    > I've got a rear hub with 7 integral gears and a coaster brake - and
    > I _hate_ coaster brakes - I want to free-wheel! :)

    > Being na?ve I thought I only needed to cut of the brake arm but that
    > wasn't enough.. *sigh* now I can ride backwards (like those fancy
    > little trickbikes)

    > So.. can I open up the hub and remove the brake cone - or maybe cut
    > it a bit so I obtain free-wheel action instead of braking or
    > backwards motion?

    That won't work because the driver element is on a steep helix that in
    one direction activates the plate or internal shoe brake and the other
    wedges into the drive side. Without it there is neither brake nor
    drive. I'm not sure what motivates your dislike for coaster brakes.
    I find them an admirable invention, the multiple plate type being the
    best. I recall both New Departure and Bendix had clutch type disks
    while some older type that had expanding shoes could take more heat
    but had poorer response.

    Jobst Brandt
    [email protected]

  8. I doubt it. A new hub would be easier.

    - -

    "May you have the wind at your back.
    And a really low gear for the hills!"

    Chris'Z Corner
    http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

  9. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 20:11:50 GMT, [email protected]
    wrote:
    >I'm not sure what motivates your dislike for coaster brakes.
    >I find them an admirable invention, the multiple plate type being the

    It's nice to have admirable parts, but it's more important (in this
    context) to have fun.

    It's also nice to unwind tired/painful legs by pedalling
    resistance-free backwards (even while stopped), and helpful to
    prepare the pedal position while stopped (if you forgot to before
    stopping).
    --
    Rick Onanian

  10. Before you cut up any more internal geared hubs, let me know and I'll buy it
    from you. They cost a fortune new.
    BUBBA

    Jens Arnfast <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've got a rear hub with 7 integral gears and a coaster brake - and I
    > _hate_ coaster brakes - I want to free-wheel! :)
    >
    > Being naïve I thought I only needed to cut of the brake arm but that
    > wasn't enough.. *sigh* now I can ride backwards (like those fancy little
    > trickbikes)
    >
    > So.. can I open up the hub and remove the brake cone - or maybe cut it a
    > bit so I obtain free-wheel action instead of braking or backwards motion?
    >
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > -jens

  11. Jens Arnfast

    Jens Arnfast Guest

    Jens Arnfast wrote:
    > I've got a rear hub with 7 integral gears and a coaster brake - and I
    > _hate_ coaster brakes - I want to free-wheel! :)

    Just an update.

    Today I successfully opened the hub and removed the brake cone - and it
    still works (without the brake part that is ;-)).

    The hub is an Sachs Super 7 and the internal organs are quite impressive :)

    --
    -jens