Coaster-braked road-bike

comebackkid

Aug 10, 2022
A bike I put together from various parts I collected. It is a 1979 Schwinn LeTour frame and rims. I laced a Bendix coaster rear hub into the rear wheel out of a Schwinn Breeze ladies bike, a stem and seat-post from a Schwinn World Sport, Bars and tires from a Schwinn Sprint, and Sugino cranks off an old Motobecane I used to race in the 1990s. This bike works really, really well. the gearing is 52/20, the brake stops it well, and it is very stable and is easy to ride hands-off. The only money I spent was for a new chain and the rear sprocket, and I paid $10 for the one parts bike I got the tires, tubes and bars off.

letour first ride a.jpg

looks awesome man

The more simple things are, the better they look, when form follows function. And it makes for a simple riding experience too, just jump on and go with no need for any special shoes, and all you need to look at for maintenance is give the tires a squeeze and look at the chain to make sure it is not too slack. There is nothing to go wrong or adjust. I wish I had this bike 40 years ago.

"Impressive build! I'm particularly intrigued by the use of a Bendix coaster hub in your LeTour. I've been toying with the idea of upgrading the rear derailleur on my 80's Peugeot and your bike has given me some food for thought. What are your thoughts on modern derailleurs with vintage frames?"