Coasting %

wyllisx2

Jun 30, 2003
Just curious as to an approximate amount of time you coast. I'd say I avergae about 5% or less. I pedal almost constantly.

Mostly just downhill, or the occasional uphill near the top if I'm at the end of my ride and dead tired :)

Any other time, keep the legs moving and the heart pumping.

wyllisx2 said:
Just curious as to an approximate amount of time you coast. I'd say I avergae about 5% or less. I pedal almost constantly.
I find it overall easier on my legs if I keep pedalling.

fixed said:
I never coast. NEVER. 70 miles today....no coast.

fixed

Ya ya ya... Mr. Fixed Gear, are you telling me that your routes are so flat as to make 130 gear inches (assuming your SS is around 55X11) always peddable?(that's not really a word, but it should be)

It's been my experience that fixed gear types just move their legs on steep downhills and then CLAIM they never stopped pumping. ;-)

Under trainning I almost don't coast at all, but racing it's another story, I have to coast when the pack slows down or when the tire that I'm following it's taking water in order to avoid crashing.

cuervo said:
Under trainning I almost don't coast at all, but racing it's another story, I have to coast when the pack slows down or when the tire that I'm following it's taking water in order to avoid crashing.
i coaste when my heart rate passes its set zone only to bring it back into my Tz
thats when i'm training with my cardiosport other than that depends what i hope to achieve from a training session,
i may drop a few gears and spin a little, or on my mtb i stck it on the smaller rings and spin it constantly then put it in bigger gears to make my energy run a little further.

closesupport said:
i coaste when my heart rate passes its set zone only to bring it back into my Tz
thats when i'm training with my cardiosport other than that depends what i hope to achieve from a training session,
i may drop a few gears and spin a little, or on my mtb i stck it on the smaller rings and spin it constantly then put it in bigger gears to make my energy run a little further.
Like cuervo said, I coast often while in the pack. It's just for short periods.

Also, long downhills of course. Once the speed goes over about 30 mph, I'll tuck in well and focus on the road ahead. At 50 mph, everybody coasts....

dhk said:
Like cuervo said, I coast often while in the pack. It's just for short periods.

Also, long downhills of course. Once the speed goes over about 30 mph, I'll tuck in well and focus on the road ahead. At 50 mph, everybody coasts....
not everyone, i always feel that i can go that little more when im at top speed, if i reach 45mph then i'm staying there as long as possible, well until either my legs give out or my oxygen supply says give it up idiot.

downhills i may pedal slower but i rarely stop pedalling, since im out cycling and thats what cyclings about, plus the weather here there is no deffinate that it won't be too wet to play on my baby tommorrow

Whitney said:
Sure!

Two times I coast,

Barfing
Peeing

Whit
you coaste when you barf.... i just tilt my head to the right, hopefully there aint a car there. but i dont care, it would be different if i tilted to the left and on a pedestrian, that i would not beable to live with.

as for peeing i ain't mastered that yet i don't think i would lie to complete my ride with a wet ****, an since hanging it down my short is out the question then i'll hold on or stop.

I haven't been riding long but I find that if I coast on hills my legs seem to feel much better then if I'm pushing down every hill and then have to climb right back up the other side it just seems to make me more tired. For someone in much better shape this could be alot different.

I try not to. Since (I 've read) it helps flush out lactic acid build up in your legs. Just the same as taking a day off and riding easy. You want those lactic acid to be flushed out for the next grind. Unless of course like the others say during pack riding, you want to be safe out there.

wyllisx2 said:

I try to keep my legs moving all the time. When racing, I do the same thing. Coast when it is dangerous to pedal (eg, corners, if you pedal you'll die, etc).

The key for me, is simply to soft pedal. I find it helps drastically with lactic acid removal and also helps me to smooth out my pedal stroke.

i coast on downhills if i need to regain energy...and also when i i get the occasional bee stuck in a vent on my hemlet..

heheheha said:
You can stop pedaling?:)
ive been on the track once or twice, and believe you me coasting is a habit that i am trying to avoid.

Plus stopping pedalling is not wise. s i try to avoid doing so if i can help it, however i might drop the gear on a smaller cog and reduce pedalling.

I must say, I do a fair bit of coasting, but I thought (being still new to this) that if you were pedalling and there was ZERO resistance, it was pretty futile and you might as well coast? :confused:

Touch the brakes if you have to in a paceline, even soft-pedal, but don't stop pedaling! Continuing to pedal dampens the yo-yo effect for the riders behind you. Coasting is only for when you're going to stop. I rarely coast on downhills, except if I've been going over 40 for a couple of miles. And yes, I've been known to pedal at 50+ mph. There's always an extra mph out there somewhere!

i coast when approaching stop signs or pedestrians that dont seem to hear when i call out that im passing. otherwise i pedal all the time.