Coasts & castles

Skunk

New Member
Apr 29, 2003
I am interested in doing the coasts and castles route but understand it is 200 miles. I can't afford the time off work for that distance. Does anyone have any idea of the mileage on this route from Newcastle to Berwick. I would like to travel circa 100 miles. If anyone has done this route, do you think that distance is feasible in 2 days, what is the terrain like? I have just completed the C2C in 2 and a half days but found that a hard slog (150 miles) but it was chuffin' hot.
Cheers for any advice.
I did post a while ago for advice on doing the coast to coast as I am a bit of a novice so thanks for all who offered advice and encouragement - it was appreciated.

"Skunk" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I am interested in doing the coasts and castles route but understand it is 200 miles. I can't
> afford the time off work for that distance. Does anyone have any idea of the mileage on this route
> from Newcastle to Berwick. I would like to travel circa 100 miles. If anyone has done this route,
> do you think that distance is feasible in 2 days, what is the terrain like? I have just completed
> the C2C in 2 and a half days but found that a hard slog (150 miles) but it was chuffin' hot.
> Cheers for any advice. I did post a while ago for advice on doing the coast to coast as I am a bit
> of a novice so thanks for all who offered advice and encouragement - it was appreciated.

Haven't done Coast & castles (yet), but I do have the sustrans map. A quick check reveals it to be
92 miles from the centre of Newcastle to Berwick with no significant hills. HTH

Cheers for that. Sounds ideal. I didn't wanna invest in a map until I knew the basics.

Skunk <[email protected]> wrote in news:3f37c0dc$1_2 @news.chariot.net.au:

> I have just completed the C2C in 2 and a half days but found that a hard slog (150 miles) but it
> was chuffin' hot. Cheers for any advice. I did post a while ago for advice on doing the coast to
> coast as I am a bit of a novice so thanks for all who offered advice and encouragement - it was
> appreciated.

I will go and look up the thread on google.

Do you have anything to add to what you learned? I am looking for something to do over the august
bank holiday, C2C would maybe fit nicely!

Fragg

The memory is fresh so if you ask away, I will try and answer any questions.
I started cycling a year ago and do about 100 miles a week on a hybrid. i average about 14 miles per hour on the road. I found some of the hills a slog with the hardest being over Hartside - about 5 miles in total. There were about half a dozen stiff climbs. The total distance was about 150 miles. The route was really well signposted and i don't reckon we would have needed a map. About half of the route is off road, but the worst surface was a tree strewn fire road so it was no problem on a hybrid, and there was hardly any A-road cycling at all. There was plenty of cycle friendly accommodation on route though I'd guess that you would have to book in advance for the bank holiday if the weather stays as it is.
If you want to know owt else, just post here.

>Haven't done Coast & castles (yet), but I do have the sustrans map. A quick check reveals it to be
>92 miles from the centre of Newcastle to Berwick with no significant hills. HTH

From Newcastle to the coast and then north along the coast to... hmmm... area of Blyth - relatively
flat, much industry, beaches & sand dunes at coast. North of Blyth gets more rural and whilst
Northumberland may have no *significant* hills e.g. *mountains*, Northumberland does have hills and
they can be deceptive! I know I used to live there and I've walked/climbed a few in my youth :)

North Northumberland is a *beautiful* part of the world. If you do it, try to find time to spend
at Cragside (first house in the world with electric light - hydro-electric powered) and visit
the Cheviots.

Personally, I'd advise taking more than two days if you can. More to enjoy the lovely landscape,
countryside and people than difficulty of ride.

Indeed, one of these days the Unfit Family will have to do a World Cycling Tour Of Northumberland.

~~~~~~~~~~
h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$**o$l.c$$*o$*m*$ by getting rid of the
overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~

"wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Indeed, one of these days the Unfit Family will have to do a World Cycling
Tour
> Of Northumberland.

Didn't you tell the nice lady on the radio that you completed the 30km of the randoniereeeeeree
(sp?) in about an hour?

30 km/hr is not unfit.

Stop trying to kid us.

Have a look at the route on the Sustrans web site.

Skunk wrote:

> I am interested in doing the coasts and castles route but understand it is 200 miles. I can't
> afford the time off work for that distance. Does anyone have any idea of the mileage on this route
> from Newcastle to Berwick. I would like to travel circa 100 miles. If anyone has done this route,
> do you think that distance is feasible in 2 days, what is the terrain like? I have just completed
> the C2C in 2 and a half days but found that a hard slog (150 miles) but it was chuffin' hot.
> Cheers for any advice. I did post a while ago for advice on doing the coast to coast as I am a bit
> of a novice so thanks for all who offered advice and encouragement - it was appreciated.

Wallace Shackleton,

Kinross, Scotland.

Cycling in Kinross-shire www.cyclekinross.org.uk

Perth & Kinross Cycle Campaign www.bycycle.org.uk