Cobblestone Bike Preparation

Funseeker

Jul 6, 2010
Hello. I just now joined. Having only been riding a road bike a couple years I'm looking forward to some good info. To start that I've a question.

This morning there was a brief TV blurb on special prep for the bikes used on the cobblestones. I walked into the room just as it was finishing. Can anyone fill me in?

You install a little engine in your bike :D

I think was something to do with tire pressure.

Hidden motors; another bit of pseudo drama for the TDF. As if the riding itself isn't enough.

From what I caught just as I walked in it sounded like they made some structural and tire changes.

They normally go with a slightly wider tire. 700x25 think i've even heard of 28's being mounted.

They also mentioned putting some bar gel under the handlebar tape.

I wonder, did any of the bikes have suspension systems?

If you're referring to bikes used on the tour. No. No suspension systems whatsoever. Contodor's team is using Specialized road frames with their trademark "zertz" inserts on the seatstays and possibly their forks.

The mods for the Classics and the cobblestones are many:
  • Tires up 27-28mm
  • Higher spoke count wheels
  • Low profile alloy rims
  • An extra layer or two of bar tape
  • Switch to a fork with a metal steerer
  • Frames with longer chain stays
  • Cantilever brakes
  • device to prevent chain drop

Those are a few. Of course some teams may change very little while others change a lot.

People did try Rock-Shox (mountain bike) forks in the 90's but the trend didn't last. I'm sure Duclos-Lasalle won Paris-Roubaix using them.