cockpit upgrades raceface

nismo driver

Aug 31, 2004
heres the situation, i just recently purchased a jamis dakar and its a bit of a hog (32.75lbs) so im considering putting it on a diet, im planning on starting with the most affordable parts, ad things that will hopefully increase comfort. (its isnt really that uncomfortable)..

i looking at going with raceface dues line up for the bars, stem, headset, and seat post.. my current aheadset kind of sucks, its clicky and get loose and thats only after half a dozen rides..

my main question is going from a 120mm 10 degree stem to a short 110mm or 100mm 6 degree stem. what general effects does a shorter stem have?

im 6'2" and its a 19 inch frame so to set the seat height right im leaning over pretty good, will a shorter stem lessen that even if its a lower degree of rise?

i do realise that all these parts (headset, stem, bars and seatpost) will cost about 200 bucks and only drop about half a pound, but i do also plan on changing the bottom bracket and cranks, fork and shock so eventually it will bring it closer to 28 lbs, and i plan on using all the old parts to put together a hardtail training bike..

or should i just get a lighter wheel set?

one more..

regular or over size bars?

is there an advantage to the 31.8 mm bars? are alivio shifters and tektro levers compatable with the thicker bars?

nismo driver said:
heres the situation, i just recently purchased a jamis dakar and its a bit of a hog (32.75lbs) so im considering putting it on a diet, im planning on starting with the most affordable parts, ad things that will hopefully increase comfort. (its isnt really that uncomfortable)..

i looking at going with raceface dues line up for the bars, stem, headset, and seat post.. my current aheadset kind of sucks, its clicky and get loose and thats only after half a dozen rides..

my main question is going from a 120mm 10 degree stem to a short 110mm or 100mm 6 degree stem. what general effects does a shorter stem have?

im 6'2" and its a 19 inch frame so to set the seat height right im leaning over pretty good, will a shorter stem lessen that even if its a lower degree of rise?

i do realise that all these parts (headset, stem, bars and seatpost) will cost about 200 bucks and only drop about half a pound, but i do also plan on changing the bottom bracket and cranks, fork and shock so eventually it will bring it closer to 28 lbs, and i plan on using all the old parts to put together a hardtail training bike..

or should i just get a lighter wheel set?

if you are spending that much have you considered changing the wheelset only? will cost about the same and could lose you a lot more weight. also look at tyres, stock ones can be very heavy. if your reason for upgrading is to slim down then go with slim bars. easton EA70's are pretty light. as you mentioned fork and shok make a big difference but also cost big bucks!

I am 6ft 4 and ride a 21" frame, but prefer a stem that is about 100mm length with 10deg rise. its all preference. try a different size and see how you like it. better to borrow than buy!

another thing: if you are seriously trying to slim down, also consider chopping down the seatpost to your length but make sure you leave enough for it to be held.