coconut oil

jjiam25

Jun 29, 2005
I read on here about coconut oil, and its benefits of taking it. But how do you take it, I tried to put it in my "shake" but it turned to solid, and was no good. So what should I put it in to take it, that won't turn it into a solid?

jjiam25 said:
I read on here about coconut oil, and its benefits of taking it. But how do you take it, I tried to put it in my "shake" but it turned to solid, and was no good. So what should I put it in to take it, that won't turn it into a solid?
Aha....someone else tried that as well.:)
I experienced that myself a few weeks back, but typically I or my wife uses it as cooking oil for veggies or put on your veggies after they have been steamed. Anything that will heat it up to the melting point and absorb into the food. I have even spread it on a warm piece of toast like using butter or put in my morning dose of oatmeal.

I am now in my 2nd phase of leaning out. Meaning I have further restricted my calories and since I do not restrict protein I am restricting carbs (not on low carbs, but have lowered carbs) except of my days of riding long distance. I have started to add straight MCT oil to my protein drinks and this 2nd phase is working great. I have leaned another 2 lbs and I feel like I am holding onto lean mass okay. Using the oil I can mix straight into the protein drink without problems and there is virtually no taste to the brand that is on the link. Since MCT also spares glycogen use I am experimenting with using this oil in my sports drinks for longer rides. The only thing about using it in my sports drink is stomach distress/discomfort and that it may impact the absorbtion rate of the simple and medium chain carbohydrates in the endurance drink. I am not sure if I want that type of impact, but I am going to try it. I tried it last weekend and did okay, but I did not mix in enough carbs for a 70 mile ride so that was a slight mistake that was easily fixed with a shot from a gel pak.

i use this stuff very often. organic and virgin. :D

the issue of liquidification: remember the # 76 in reference to degrees (f).

flavors neutral, you can mix it with many things.

i also speculate since it's the only food i know of that doesnt need liver involvement to use it for energy, that it may play a useful (& underestimated) role in recovery.

anyone have ideas on this?

I put it in my oatmeal each morning, stir fry my vegetables with it and pop my popcorn in it. My wife puts it in brownies and some cakes and cookies. We pretty much put it in anything heated that calls for other oils.

We get the unrefined oil and it adds a great coconut taste to most foods.