Coconut: Substituting sweetened for UNsweetened ???

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Weiler, Mar 14, 2004.

  1. Weiler

    Weiler Guest

    Hello. I have a recipe that calls for UNsweetened coconut. I
    have sweetened coconut on hand. Anyone have any idea how
    much sugar I would need to "delete" from the recipe to make
    the equivalent ???

    thanks ...Kristina

    Tags:

  2. Jarkat2002

    Jarkat2002 Guest

    >Hello. I have a recipe that calls for UNsweetened coconut.
    >I have sweetened coconut on hand. Anyone have any idea how
    >much sugar I would need to "delete" from the recipe to make
    >the equivalent ???
    >
    >thanks ...Kristina

    I'm not sure .. But you would have to account for moisture
    content as well, unsweetened coconut is far dryer than
    sweetened.

    ~Kat

    www.marchforchoice.org

  3. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >[email protected] (Weiler)
    >
    >Hello. I have a recipe that calls for UNsweetened coconut.
    >I have sweetened coconut on hand. Anyone have any idea how
    >much sugar I would need to "delete" from the recipe to make
    >the equivalent ???
    >
    >thanks ...Kristina

    Here we go again... POST THE RECIPE... without the recipe
    all anyone can offer is wild speculation.

    ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
    NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
    devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

  4. Scott

    Scott Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Weiler) wrote:

    > Hello. I have a recipe that calls for UNsweetened coconut.
    > I have sweetened coconut on hand. Anyone have any idea how
    > much sugar I would need to "delete" from the recipe to
    > make the equivalent ???

    According to
    <http://www.practicalpantry.com/staples/page17.html>

    "Do not use sweetened and unsweetened coconut
    interchangeably. To remove sugar from sweetened coconut,
    soak it in a mixture of half milk and half water for an hour
    or two in the refrigerator. Drain well and pat dry."

    please mail OT responses only