Coda (Cannondale) Freehub Question??

Can anyone give me some advise on how to remove a Coda "Performance"
freehub body?
This is what came with my wife's "Silk Path".
The bearing cup that's inserted into the drive side of the freehub body
appears to be pitted.
Also the perimeter of the inside hole of the bearing cup appears to
have a track worn into it.

It appears to have some sort of attaching bolt that's accessed from the
left side? But I'm not sure if this is an "allen" bolt or some
proprietary splined pattern. Also I'm not sure if it's right or left
hand thread.

Any help would be greatly appreciated?

John

<[email protected]> a écrit:

> Can anyone give me some advise on how to remove a Coda
> "Performance" freehub body?

> This is what came with my wife's "Silk Path".

> It appears to have some sort of attaching bolt that's accessed
> from the left side? But I'm not sure if this is an "allen" bolt or
> some proprietary splined pattern. Also I'm not sure if it's right
> or left hand thread.

The last Coda freehub body I removed needed a 12mm allen key inserted from
the left. The bolt had the form of a twelve pointed star, six of which
engaged with the allen key. The thread was right-handed.

A number of different designs are used in Coda hubs, and yours may be
different.

James Thomson

James Thomson wrote:

> The last Coda freehub body I removed needed a 12mm allen key inserted from
> the left. The bolt had the form of a twelve pointed star, six of which
> engaged with the allen key. The thread was right-handed.
>
> A number of different designs are used in Coda hubs, and yours may be
> different.

Yes! This makes perfect sense. The bolt does indeed have the star
pattern you refer to.

Thanks so much James.
(Now all I have to do is find a 12mm allen key.)

John

[email protected] wrote:
> James Thomson wrote:
> >
> > The last Coda freehub body I removed needed a 12mm allen key inserted from
> > the left. The bolt had the form of a twelve pointed star, six of which
> > engaged with the allen key. The thread was right-handed.
> >
> > A number of different designs are used in Coda hubs, and yours may be
> > different.

> Yes! This makes perfect sense. The bolt does indeed have the star
> pattern you refer to.
>
> Thanks so much James.
> (Now all I have to do is find a 12mm allen key.)
>
> John

grab a cheap set of large metric allen sockets at any auto supply
joint, like Autozone. Five bucks, tops.

Nashbar's got a replacement freehub on sale for $20, I think there's a
good chance it'll fit if ya want a new mech: http://tinyurl.com/h27hw

"landotter" <[email protected]> a écrit:

> Nashbar's got a replacement freehub on sale for $20, I think there's a
> good chance it'll fit if ya want a new mech: http://tinyurl.com/h27hw

If John's got the hub I described, a Shimano body won't fit. The Coda hub
has a 12mm allen bolt entering the threaded, male-splined freehub body from
the hub side, something like this:

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/tech/kitlist/CO.1.2.Coda 800 Rear hub.pdf

The Shimano hub has a 10mm bolt entering the threaded, male-splined hub from
the freehub body side.

James Thomson

James Thomson wrote:
> "landotter" <[email protected]> a écrit:
>
> > Nashbar's got a replacement freehub on sale for $20, I think there's a
> > good chance it'll fit if ya want a new mech: http://tinyurl.com/h27hw

> If John's got the hub I described, a Shimano body won't fit. The Coda hub
> has a 12mm allen bolt entering the threaded, male-splined freehub body from
> the hub side, something like this:
>
> http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/tech/kitlist/CO.1.2.Coda 800 Rear hub.pdf
>
> The Shimano hub has a 10mm bolt entering the threaded, male-splined hub from
> the freehub body side.
>
> James Thomson

D'oh!

Is it a Shimano patent issue? Life would be so much nicer if parts
interchanged better. Ugh. I'm just old enough to remember running those
cool Suntour thumbies with my Shimano kit. Everything just got along. :p

"landotter" <[email protected]> a écrit:

> Is it a Shimano patent issue?

Yes: Shimano's patent specifies that the hub shell is threaded, and that the
fixing bolt should pass through the freehub body into the threaded part of
the hub shell. SunTour subsequently arranged things in reverse to evade
Shimano's patent, and the Coda hub is of the SunTour patern.

http://tinyurl.com/ghxzo

United States Patent 4,580,670
Nagano April 8, 1986

Hub for a bicycle

Abstract

A hub for a bicycle wherein a tubular support, having at its outer
peripheral surface a non-circular cross-section, is provided at a hub shell
which is supported rotatably to a hub shaft, a driven cylinder of a
freewheel is fitted and fixed to the tubular support. The hub shell is
provided with an elongate inner screw-threaded portion. A screw-threaded
cylinder is provided which is adapted to have at one end an outer
screw-threaded portion screwable with the inner screw-threaded portion and
to have at its other end a projection which is engageable with one end of
the driven cylinder, so that the screw-threaded cylinder is screwed with the
hub shell to fix the driven cylinder to the hub shell.

Inventors: Nagano; Masashi (Izumi, JP)
Assignee: Shimano Industrial Company Limited (Osaka, JP)

Appl. No.: 06/563,773
Filed: December 21, 1983

James Thomson