Coeliac friendly restuarants?

In article <[email protected]>,
"K. Reece" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "al" <{ask_me}@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:FSQVb.4121$xc5.2580@news-
> binary.blueyonder.co.uk...
> > We're not talking about eating in Park Lane hotels here, just normal restaurants. It would be
> > nice after walking around London city all day to know of a few restaurants that were guaranteed
> > to know what they're
> talking
> > about on such matters.
>
> > I'm sure it is - however most people have never heard of it and those that have know little
> > about it I've found!

> If most people have never heard of it why would you expect to find a restaurant that caters to it
> or even knows about it?
>
> Kathy

Because, with any luck, a GOOD chef will...... Special dietary needs should be part of the education
of any decent chef.

I hope.

I know the chef's that work for our hospital are well versed in a number of dietary specialties.
They have to be. :)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, "al"
> <{ask_me}@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> > Basically no matter what you order it can be a problem unless the chef knows that it must be
> > kept away from gluten sources. I myself fell victim some years back by making a nice stir fry
> > and just before it was ready I reckoned a splash of soy would bring out the flavour better ...
> > had to go in the bin then!! :(
>
> You are sensitive to soy? Interesting. I must watch that. So far, so good tho'.

Not soy but soy sauce -- most soy sauces contain wheat.

Miche

--
If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud. -- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

In article <[email protected]>,
Miche <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Katra
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > > Maybe I am missing something, but isn't something like a salad with Russian dressing (or a
> > > vinigarette), steak (or chicken, or seafood), with a potato and a green vegetable wheat free?
> > >

> > Yes, but most wheat allergic people also cannot handle potatoes. ;-)
>
> Are you serious or joking?
>
> Miche

Serious... I've discussed this with others, I think, here, and with the cooks at work...

It's not universal but some folks that are wheat sensitive are also sensitive to the
nightshade family.

'taters make me sick as a dog, and tomatos don't agree with me much either, but I refuse to give
those up! I just take Xantac prior to consuming them.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

"al" <{ask_me}@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "K. Reece" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > If most people have never heard of it why would you expect to find a restaurant that caters to
> > it or even knows about it?
> >
> > Kathy
> >

> Well if the Harvester chain have and a Chinese in Dublin, then there must
be
> quite a few more. At the very least (and often is the case),
restaurateur's
> who's family has been touched by it are likely to be sensitive to it. And when I say it's not very
> well known about - I don't mean it's virtually unheard of!!
>
> Anyway .. back to my original question - I was just wondering if like
minded
> people could point out some good places they'd been to in the London area. There must be a few of
> you out there!!

I think you're probably very lucky to have even found those restaurants!

Kathy

In article <[email protected]>,
zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:

> Katra wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>, "al" <{ask_me}@blueyonder.co.uk>
> > wrote:

> >>Yes, if it's just like that. You'd be surprised to learn how often something is added to a dish
> >>though. Sauces are usually a no-no. Deep-frying always a problem (contamination). Grilled on the
> >>same surface as things like bread or breaded meats.
> >

> > Lots of folks don't understand Coeliac disease... The wheat intolerance is pretty total. Most,
> > if not all, gravies and sauces are made with flour, and any breaded item is OUT. A lot of salad
> > dressings also have flour as a thickener. Breaded chicken and seafood, same thing.
> >

> >>Basically no matter what you order it can be a problem unless the chef knows that it must be
> >>kept away from gluten sources. I myself fell victim some years back by making a nice stir fry
> >>and just before it was ready I reckoned a splash of soy would bring out the flavour better ...
> >>had to go in the bin then!! :(
> >

> > You are sensitive to soy? Interesting. I must watch that. So far, so good tho'.
>

> A lot of soy sauces have wheat in them; I'm not sure if it's malted or fermented or what.
>
> Bob

Oh. Then go for Bragg's liquid aminos. ;-) Amazing taste and wheat free...

It is an unfermented soy sauce.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

Soy is not the problem, it's how it's made. Read the label. most will clearly state that it
contains wheat.

For Grins: the next time eveyone goes shopping, read the label on everything from cans to cold cuts.
you'll be amazed at what contains wheat or "modified food starch" which cannot be eaten by Celiacs
before checking with the company to find the source of the starch. You'll even be amazed to find it
in soda pop!

Cold cuts are another misnomer. The ones you see on sale for $.99 are nothing more than meat
flavored cereal, in my opinion. Ask the waiter to pass you the bulk item and read what's in it. The
purely meat ones are in the $6.00 a pound category.

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 21:48:43 -0000, al <{ask_me}@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Anyway .. back to my original question - I was just wondering if like minded people could point out
>some good places they'd been to in the London area.

If I was wandering around London, and I was hungry, I would simply stop at the nearest Indian
restaurant. Just pick a curry dish and I've got a gluten-free meal. You may stumble upon some
restaurants with cuisine from other hot climates, like Malaysian, and those are worth checking out.
Just ask what on the menu has no soy sauce or wheat.

Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

In article <[email protected]>,
Miche <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Katra
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>, "al" <{ask_me}@blueyonder.co.uk>
> > wrote:
>
> > > Basically no matter what you order it can be a problem unless the chef knows that it must be
> > > kept away from gluten sources. I myself fell victim some years back by making a nice stir fry
> > > and just before it was ready I reckoned a splash of soy would bring out the flavour better ...
> > > had to go in the bin then!! :(
> >
> > You are sensitive to soy? Interesting. I must watch that. So far, so good tho'.
>
> Not soy but soy sauce -- most soy sauces contain wheat.
>
> Miche

Guess I'd not run into that since I use Bragg's. ;-)

But thanks for the warning!

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

Katra <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Miche
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>, Katra
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Yes, but most wheat allergic people also cannot handle potatoes. ;-)
> >
> > Are you serious or joking?
>
> Serious... I've discussed this with others, I think, here, and with the cooks at work...
>
> It's not universal but some folks that are wheat sensitive are also sensitive to the
> nightshade family.

"Some" is way different from "most". Do you have any kind of formal numbers here, eg a cite from a
medical study?

> 'taters make me sick as a dog, and tomatos don't agree with me much either, but I refuse to give
> those up! I just take Xantac prior to consuming them.

Fair enough.

Miche (noting that the one person she knows with nightshade allergies is fine with wheat)

--
If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud. -- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

>Not soy but soy sauce -- most soy sauces contain wheat.

cheaper ones do for sure.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See http://www.knight-
toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

"No One" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Soy is not the problem, it's how it's made. Read the label. most will clearly state that it
> contains wheat.
>
> For Grins: the next time eveyone goes shopping, read the label on everything from cans to cold
> cuts. you'll be amazed at what contains wheat or "modified food starch" which cannot be eaten by
> Celiacs before checking with the company to find the source of the starch. You'll even be amazed
> find it in soda pop!

You'd also be amazed by how often things come and go out of the little book she gets from the Irish
Coeliac society. It tells you what brands are safe to eat, but sometimes they'll change
manufacturing plant or share a plant with a new product and it will come off the list. It's
incredible how often these things change. You might like eating sweets in a box of Roses one day,
only to find out you can't buy them anymore as they're off the list all of a sudden.

I guess I don't have as much trouble with Wheat allergy as, one, I _rarely_ eat out as I have
trouble finding places that know how to cook worth a damn, (most food is WAY overcooked and heavy on
the starches, and SALT!!!) and no bread or wheat containing foods are allowed in the house.

Yes, I read labels. ;-) Guess soy's not been an issue because I use Bragg's liquid aminos. I like
the flavor better.

I live primarily on fresh meats and fresh veggies from the produce section, and eggs, and a few
select dairy products that are pure.

So if it's that much of an issue, why take her out at all?

Eat at home and cook for her.

<shrugs>

Oh, and if your local hospital does not know about gluten free diets, you need to find a different
hospital. :p I've talked to the cooks at ours and it's never been a problem.....

But, we have some excellent GI docs that are hard asses. <g> Good thing........

K.

In article <[email protected]>, "No One" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Soy is not the problem, it's how it's made. Read the label. most will clearly state that it
> contains wheat.
>
> For Grins: the next time eveyone goes shopping, read the label on everything from cans to cold
> cuts. you'll be amazed at what contains wheat or "modified food starch" which cannot be eaten by
> Celiacs before checking with the company to find the source of the starch. You'll even be amazed
> to find it in soda pop!
>
> Cold cuts are another misnomer. The ones you see on sale for $.99 are nothing more than meat
> flavored cereal, in my opinion. Ask the waiter to pass you the bulk item and read what's in it.
> The purely meat ones are in the $6.00 a pound category.
>
> > > You are sensitive to soy? Interesting. I must watch that. So far, so good tho'.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

Katra <[email protected]> wrote:

> Oh. Then go for Bragg's liquid aminos. ;-) Amazing taste and wheat free...
>
> It is an unfermented soy sauce.

I would, but it's not available here.

Fortunately I have two choices for soy sauce -- San-J tamari and Ceres organic soy sauce.

Miche

--
If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud. -- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

In article <[email protected]>,
Miche <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Katra
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>, Miche <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> > > Are you serious or joking?
> >
> > Serious... I've discussed this with others, I think, here, and with the cooks at work...
> >
> > It's not universal but some folks that are wheat sensitive are also sensitive to the nightshade
> > family.
>
> "Some" is way different from "most". Do you have any kind of formal numbers here, eg a cite from a
> medical study?

Sorry, I mis-spoke. I did a serious 'net search and could not find any numbers so classify it as
anecdotal. ;-) I won't defend an error...

Suffice it to say that I've hung out on the IBS list for awhile and have seen lots of people that
are sensitive to both at the same time...

Are they truly associated? Maybe, maybe not, but there seem to be a lot of IBS sufferers who are...

> > 'taters make me sick as a dog, and tomatos don't agree with me much either, but I refuse to give
> > those up! I just take Xantac prior to consuming them.
>
> Fair enough.
>
> Miche (noting that the one person she knows with nightshade allergies is fine with wheat)

Might be just coincidental then. ;-)

Food allergies can be _such_ a pain, and take so very long to narrow down! I kept a food log for a
year and a half at my dogs suggestion.

Life is less painful now.

K.

--

Steve Knight <[email protected]> wrote:

> >Not soy but soy sauce -- most soy sauces contain wheat.
>
> cheaper ones do for sure.

So do some of the expensive ones.

Miche

--
If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud. -- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

In article <[email protected]>,
Miche <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Katra
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Oh. Then go for Bragg's liquid aminos. ;-) Amazing taste and wheat free...
> >
> > It is an unfermented soy sauce.
>
> I would, but it's not available here.
>
> Fortunately I have two choices for soy sauce -- San-J tamari and Ceres organic soy sauce.
>
> Miche

Look on line. Trust me, it's worth it! Seriously good stuff, IMHO.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

Katra <[email protected]> wrote:

> Food allergies can be _such_ a pain, and take so very long to narrow down! I kept a food log for a
> year and a half at my dogs suggestion.
>
> Life is less painful now.
>
> K.

Ugh. That should have read "Docs" suggestion! As in Family doctor...

Damn keyboard. ;-)

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

Katra <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Miche
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>, Katra
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Serious... I've discussed this with others, I think, here, and with the cooks at work...
> > >
> > > It's not universal but some folks that are wheat sensitive are also sensitive to the
> > > nightshade family.
> >
> > "Some" is way different from "most". Do you have any kind of formal numbers here, eg a cite from
> > a medical study?
>
> Sorry, I mis-spoke. I did a serious 'net search and could not find any numbers so classify it as
> anecdotal. ;-) I won't defend an error...

That's cool, we all make mistakes.

> Suffice it to say that I've hung out on the IBS list for awhile and have seen lots of people that
> are sensitive to both at the same time...
>
> Are they truly associated? Maybe, maybe not, but there seem to be a lot of IBS sufferers
> who are...

My "IBS" went away when I stopped eating wheat.

> > > 'taters make me sick as a dog, and tomatos don't agree with me much either, but I refuse to
> > > give those up! I just take Xantac prior to consuming them.
> >
> > Fair enough.
> >
> > Miche (noting that the one person she knows with nightshade allergies is fine with wheat)
>
> Might be just coincidental then. ;-)

Might be.

> Food allergies can be _such_ a pain, and take so very long to narrow down! I kept a food log for a
> year and a half at my dogs suggestion.
>
> Life is less painful now.

And that's a good thing. I've found exactly the same, even though I've never kept a food log.

Miche

--
If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud. -- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

In article <[email protected]>,
Katra <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Miche
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>, Katra
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > Oh. Then go for Bragg's liquid aminos. ;-) Amazing taste and wheat free...
> > >
> > > It is an unfermented soy sauce.
> >
> > I would, but it's not available here.
> >
> > Fortunately I have two choices for soy sauce -- San-J tamari and Ceres organic soy sauce.
> >
> > Miche
>
> Look on line. Trust me, it's worth it! Seriously good stuff, IMHO.

No thanks, I'm happy with what I have.

Miche

--
If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud. -- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

"Katra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Katra
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > Food allergies can be _such_ a pain, and take so very long to narrow down! I kept a food log for
> > a year and a half at my dogs suggestion.
> >
> > Life is less painful now.
> >
> > K.
>
> Ugh. That should have read "Docs" suggestion! As in Family doctor...
>
> Damn keyboard. ;-)
>
> --
> Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...
>
> >,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&include=0&userid =katra

Oh, and here I was impressed by your dog.............. kili