coffee drinkers

shming123

May 1, 2004
how many of you drink coffee? isn't it (caffeine) supposed to enhance performance? But what if you have coffee everyday, would its benefits on performance wear off?

i drink maybe 2-3 cups per day..

i used to think that caffiene would help me during a ride but i have come to the conclusion that if it does help, its effects are too negligible to notice. (that could be just me though) coffee doesnt keep me awake at night as it is supposed to, unless i drink 4 cups late at night, but even then its the toilet that keeps me up...

caffiene make me urinate a lot so i use it wat work but avoid it when cycling.

I drink one or two cups in the morning, so by the time I ride later in the day, it makes no difference. I have heard tha caffiene helps to burn fat though.

juf2m said:
I drink one or two cups in the morning, so by the time I ride later in the day, it makes no difference. I have heard tha caffiene helps to burn fat though.
does anyone use that Coffee Mate creamer? (french vanilla, hazelnut, etc..) They changed the fat free line and added splenda to it.. yuck! IMO, its not near as good as it used to be before they added splenda to it.

No, I've never tried it. I just take cream, or get flavoured coffee already brewed. I actually like Splenda, but I know a lot of people hate it!

Brunswick_kate said:
Straight up, black, no sugar, keep it coming...

Agree no point in ruining good coffee with sugar or powdered creamers. Straight up double espresso here. One in the morning, another at 5 PM or after dinner does it for me. A good crema shot makes my morning and gets me ready to ride.

You said it, sister. I like 'em short and strong, no cream, no sugar, and certainly no flavorings!

Bought me a fancy espresso machine, takes half the kitchen counter. Born with a cup of coffee in my hand. Probably die that way, too. Yup.

Brunswick_kate said:
Straight up, black, no sugar, keep it coming...

If you drink coffee/tea/caffinated soft drink regularly then you become slightly dependant on it to feel normal. The effects of hightened senses etc. fall off with regular use.
If you don't normally have much caffene in your diet then on those occasions when you do have it you will notice a more pronounced effect. I have found this since giving up all except one such beverage per day.

tafi said:
If you drink coffee/tea/caffinated soft drink regularly then you become slightly dependant on it to feel normal. The effects of hightened senses etc. fall off with regular use.
If you don't normally have much caffene in your diet then on those occasions when you do have it you will notice a more pronounced effect. I have found this since giving up all except one such beverage per day.

Good for you; one beverage a day is a low level. I've managed to taper down to about 300 mg or so a day now, with two double espresso's, iced tea or diet cola making up the rest.

Agree that us addicts build up a tolerance to caffeine, and need a certain level in our bloodstreams just to feel normal. I've tried to go "cold turkey" a couple of times, but the withdrawal proved unbearable.

dhk said:
Good for you; one beverage a day is a low level. I've managed to taper down to about 300 mg or so a day now, with two double espresso's, iced tea or diet cola making up the rest.

Agree that us addicts build up a tolerance to caffeine, and need a certain level in our bloodstreams just to feel normal. I've tried to go "cold turkey" a couple of times, but the withdrawal proved unbearable.
Yeah, I suffered a mild headache for about 3 or 4 days (I have been drinking tea/coffee since I was 5 - I am now 22). My general health hasn't really changed all that much since stopping but I do find it easier to get up in the morning now (particularly since training bunches require a 4:45am wakeup)

I got off the caffeine wagon after getting up to multiple cups of coffee and up to half a dozen mountain dews per day. I've enjoyed it - but exams are ruining my solstice. :(

one flat white a day does me fine, usually around the time I actually need to start thinking (as opposed to early morning robot syndrome :D ).. used to drink 5+ cups a day, withdrawl was nasty.. but it was seriously stuffing me up, especially training wise.. beware the dehydrating effect, I think my system is especially sensitive to it though and I found it really a negative affect on my overal training experience..

less'go said:
You said it, sister. I like 'em short and strong, no cream, no sugar, and certainly no flavorings!

Bought me a fancy espresso machine, takes half the kitchen counter. Born with a cup of coffee in my hand. Probably die that way, too. Yup.
i love esspresso's i have a double esspresso each morning x6 sugars, only difference is i hate coffee, especially without sugar, so i have to add plenty of milk and sugar to try and make it bearable to drink, plus i may have 3 or 4 cappaccino's plus 2 or 3 cups of coffeex3 sugars of an evening, I work nights so i need to keep away! Coffee makes it possible for me to remain awake long enough to work, cycle etc.....

tafi said:
yes you do, for 6mths i gave up choclate and caffeine, but the first day i had coffee and choclate i couldn't sleep for hours plus i was bouncing off the walls.

I drink around 4-6 cups a day. Breakfast, tea breaks, lunch, evening. It is worse when I am on a RDO or weekends.

i don't drink coffee very often, because my stomache is very sensetive and it causes a lot of pain for me to drink even a very small amount of weak coffee, and because i worked in a cafe for three and a half years and saw people who where totalt dependent on it every day and it sorta made me afraid of getting hooked on it, i do ocasionaly drink it because i really love the taste of good coffee, i take medecine so my stomach won't hurt to much and don't drink very much at a time, and i get really good quality stuff, and i sometiems will drink it if i am on a long bike ride cuz i have read it helps burn fat and if thats true then thats cool, from what i have read it doesn't work to burn fat if you drink it all the time though, your body gets resistent to it

For some amazing information about coffee and tea and both of their effects on the human body go to www.absoluteacneinfo.com, then click on skin care community (but make sure to go to the new board and not the old one), and then on the link that leads to the Edgar Cayce Treatments forum.

That forum gives great information about how coffee and tea effect the health of individuals, and also as to whats inside both of them that could result in having negative effects for a persons mind/body.

The best part of the information is contained within the thread called "Edgar Cayce On Gland Problems", but there will soon be more information on this subject within the near future.

If any of you are taking Creatine hope I spelt it right. You might want to limit coffee intake as Cafeene is a Creatine antagonist.

I had to quit taking Creatine because it dehydrates me to much.