coffee drinkers

When i used to ride as 16 year old i read in a cycling magazine that coffee and tea were bad for performance (sorry but cant remember the reasons why) although i do know that the tanin in tea reduces the bodies ability to absorb iron which is the main nutrient for production of red blood cells.

fondriest said:
When i used to ride as 16 year old i read in a cycling magazine that coffee and tea were bad for performance (sorry but cant remember the reasons why) although i do know that the tanin in tea reduces the bodies ability to absorb iron which is the main nutrient for production of red blood cells.
Mmmmmm.... Something wrong with this post, each day it changes the date saying i posted it on that day when actually it was posted about five days ago ??!!!??!?!?

I used to drink alot of coffee (5-6 cups a day) but cut back and increased the amount of water I drink. You can develope a tolerance level for the caffine. But what I noticed from using a heart rate monitor is even though I drank alot of coffee, even 1 cup would increase my heart rate. I didn't think that was at all helpful so now I do not drink any coffee before any exercise.

shming123 said:
how many of you drink coffee? isn't it (caffeine) supposed to enhance performance? But what if you have coffee everyday, would its benefits on performance wear off?

Not only do I drink coffee, but I import Estate Arabica beans from Costa Rica, custom roast them and then offer them for sale. The roasting is done by hand on a classic Probat Roaster expertly and in small batches to ensure the highest quality. I ship all orders on the day they are roasted to guarantee maximum freshness.

All of my coffee is available for $12.85 per pound, shipping included! Choose from these best selling blends! :
  • "FULL TILT BOOGIE" Espresso Blend...nutty, sweet and rich crema!
  • "SINGLE TRACK" French Roast...dark roast with good body!
  • "EPIC RIDE" Breakfast Blend...classic medium roast, perfect anytime!
    available in whole bean or ground​
email me at; [email protected] for orders or anything coffee and/or bike related!​

Thank you...Larry​

shming123 said:
how many of you drink coffee? isn't it (caffeine) supposed to enhance performance? But what if you have coffee everyday, would its benefits on performance wear off?
A BBC documentary investigated the effects of caffine on the performance of atheletes in a programme about steriods (they were looking at other more natural substances as a comparison) In their tests they found it did actually have an beneficial effect taken a hour before training. However, from what I understood, the atheletes in the trial didn't drink coffee in large amounts on a regular basis.

As a personal recommendation, I've found that drinking a cup of coffee called 'Rocket Fuel' in a morning, about 30 mins before I cycle, has me flying up the hills on the way to work!!! It has some herb/plant in it begining with 'G' which I can't spell (guruanana or something) and it really does give you a kick.

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't that guarana stuff bad for you? its supposed to raise your heart rate and I think that is what's being used in those diet pills instead of ephedra. Thats what I though, but I could be wrong.

shming123 said:
someone correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't that guarana stuff bad for you? its supposed to raise your heart rate and I think that is what's being used in those diet pills instead of ephedra. Thats what I though, but I could be wrong.

I've not heard of it being bad for you and they do sell it in health shops!!.. not that means anything!! I suppose if you drank it in large quantities, it would be like having too much coffee

Strange as it may seem, but I can have 8-10 cups in a day and none the next without withdrawal. I tend to only drink it in the morning though and probably on average have 3 or 4 cups.

Meek One said:
Strange as it may seem, but I can have 8-10 cups in a day and none the next without withdrawal. I tend to only drink it in the morning though and probably on average have 3 or 4 cups.

Geez....I was having 2-3 (**** instant muck) a day before going cold turkey 2 weeks ago. I was pretty average for a couple of days....headaches, nausea, fatigue.

The thing I've noticed the most since is I am sleeping HEAPS better and I don't have that zombie-like feeling pre-coffee in the mornings anymore. One of the best things I've done, imho.

ed073 said:
Geez....I was having 2-3 (**** instant muck) a day before going cold turkey 2 weeks ago. I was pretty average for a couple of days....headaches, nausea, fatigue.

The thing I've noticed the most since is I am sleeping HEAPS better and I don't have that zombie-like feeling pre-coffee in the mornings anymore. One of the best things I've done, imho.
Good for you! I've tried to break the addiction a couple of times, but couldn't stand the withdrawal symptoms. On a good day now, I "only" have two double espressos.

shming123 said:
I stopped drinking caffeinated coffee well over a year ago. Years of abusive coffee drinking made any affect it had on my body unrecognizable. I could drink a pot of coffee and then goto sleep. So i deceided no more... I also quit with the understanding that *some* improvement may be realized in my bodys ability to move oxygen to muscles when i choose to drink coffee... Here is a snippet from HowStuffWorks.com:

Caffeine and Adenosine
Why do so many people consume so much caffeine? Why does caffeine wake you up? By understanding the drug's actions inside the body you can see why people use it so much.
In the HowStuffWorks article How Sleep Works, the action of adenosine is discussed. As adenosine is created in the brain, it binds to adenosine receptors. The binding of adenosine causes drowsiness by slowing down nerve cell activity. In the brain, adenosine binding also causes blood vessels to dilate (presumably to let more oxygen in during sleep).

To a nerve cell, caffeine looks like adenosine. Caffeine therefore binds to the adenosine receptor. However, it doesn't slow down the cell's activity like adenosine would. So the cell cannot "see" adenosine anymore because caffeine is taking up all the receptors adenosine binds to. So instead of slowing down because of the adenosine level, the cells speed up. You can see that caffeine also causes the brain's blood vessels to constrict, because it blocks adenosine's ability to open them up. This effect is why some headache medicines like Anacin contain caffeine -- if you have a vascular headache, the caffeine will close down the blood vessels and relieve it.

So now you have increased neuron firing in the brain. The pituitary gland sees all of the activity and thinks some sort of emergency must be occurring, so it releases hormones that tell the adrenal glands to produce adrenaline (epinephrine). Adrenaline is the "fight or flight" hormone, and it has a number of effects on your body:

Your pupils dilate.
Your breathing tubes open up (this is why people suffering from severe asthma attacks are sometimes injected with epinephrine).
Your heart beats faster.
Blood vessels on the surface constrict to slow blood flow from cuts and also to increase blood flow to muscles. Blood pressure rises.
Blood flow to the stomach slows.
The liver releases sugar into the bloodstream for extra energy.
Muscles tighten up, ready for action.
This explains why, after consuming a big cup of coffee, your hands get cold, your muscles tense up, you feel excited and you can feel your heart beat increasing.

I drink 7 - 8 mugs a day of Rocket Fuel (a type of coffee with guarana added) and really enjoy it. Its probably more than the average person, but I dont smoke or drink any alcohol so I guess its not so bad as vices go...... :D

Cafeine definatly does stimulate your body (for most people) in a positive way for sporting perfomance why else would the IOC choose to ban amounts more than 600mg? I read that it all depends on the bodies ability to matabolize cafeine as for some people it can dehydrate you more that others. I have also read that you can become immune to the affect it has one you so if you are usin cafeine for it's ergo affect on the body then lay of it for 3 days before your competition then have some cafeine about an hour before your comp. Don't have anymore than 6 cups of coffee or 14 cans of cola though as if you're tested then you're screwed, though for some people it may take less drinks then that depending on how you matabolize cafeine. Also a test in Australia show that with people who were regular coffee drinkers drinking coffee did have a possitive affect and did not dehydrate them. The subjects were cyclist who were put on increasing increments untill fatigue.
All this is from info I read so don't shout at me if it's wrong... I am also studying nutrition and know some of the info is recognised as possibly true over previouse thoughts.

ianhargreaves said:
Cafeine definatly does stimulate your body (for most people) in a positive way for sporting perfomance why else would the IOC choose to ban amounts more than 600mg? I read that it all depends on the bodies ability to matabolize cafeine as for some people it can dehydrate you more that others. I have also read that you can become immune to the affect it has one you so if you are usin cafeine for it's ergo affect on the body then lay of it for 3 days before your competition then have some cafeine about an hour before your comp. Don't have anymore than 6 cups of coffee or 14 cans of cola though as if you're tested then you're screwed, though for some people it may take less drinks then that depending on how you matabolize cafeine. Also a test in Australia show that with people who were regular coffee drinkers drinking coffee did have a possitive affect and did not dehydrate them. The subjects were cyclist who were put on increasing increments untill fatigue.
All this is from info I read so don't shout at me if it's wrong... I am also studying nutrition and know some of the info is recognised as possibly true over previouse thoughts.
BEEP BEEP! NEWSFLASH!

Caffeine is legal now.........so drink as much as you want......

I am just about to make a coffee any want one?
I know I am hogging the space on this thread now so I'll make this breif.
I drink far too much (4-6 cups) and recently managed to cut back down to 1-2cups and realy noticed the difference in my toilet habits. Gosh that stuff makes you pee alot and you don't want that on a long sunday ride.

Are you sure it's legal? Someone at work tried to tell me it is yet in the Athens 04 anything more than 600mg was banned, according to Tri220 it's banned in triathlon, and according to cycling+ it's still banned at 600mg. oh - and complete guide to sports nutiriton's latest release in 04 (Anita Bean) states it's still banned. HHeeeeellllppppp .... I am confused.

yep...I drink coffee to wake me up and beer to calm me down......and I live in the urinal. I'm in heaven

Well depending on your iron and copper levels it could help if iron levels are to high and copper levels are to low the oxalates in coffee can have a beneficial effect by bringing iron down and coffee being a source of copper can raise copper levels. After that it can start to make you anemic. High or low iron can cause fatigue. The bad thing about coffee is that it has two components that are antagonistic to calcium oxalic acid and caffiene.

shming123 said:

closesupport said:
i love esspresso's i have a double esspresso each morning x6 sugars, only difference is i hate coffee, especially without sugar, so i have to add plenty of milk and sugar to try and make it bearable to drink, plus i may have 3 or 4 cappaccino's plus 2 or 3 cups of coffeex3 sugars of an evening, I work nights so i need to keep away! Coffee makes it possible for me to remain awake long enough to work, cycle etc.....

I love good coffee, But I usually drink one to 2 cups of black coffee in the morning [it wakes me up]