Coffee's effect is determined by genetics

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by Woofer, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Woofer

Woofer New Member

Tags:

2. Spunout

Spunout New Member

I don't need to read it. Ever live with a Finlander? Drink coffee all day, another cup before bed and sleep soundly all night. My mother.

Unfortunately, I ended up 50% Belgian and can't drink coffee after noon or else I can't sleep. But beer on the other hand...:D

3. MichaelB

MichaelB New Member

I must admit I never can feel the effect of drinking coffee. When I race (not bikes, cars) I always drink loads of coffee but I honestly cant tell any difference. I've also never noticed any difference with pain killers either!

4. bikeguy

bikeguy New Member

I drink about a liter of cola a day, so I definitely like my caffeine. Doesn't seem to really have much of a stimulant effect though. Now, add a cup of coffee to that and I start to get a little excited. Make it 2 and I'm excited. I've noticed a rather large jump in my interval power (like what's hard without caffeine becomes easy?!) after a cup of coffee + a liter of cola a day, maybe about 10%. You bet I'll be drinking some coffee before my next TT.

-Bikeguy

5. DCWD

DCWD New Member

I've read also that if you aren't a regular caffeine junky, it makes a good recovery drink because it has antioxidants and helps deliver oxygen to your muscles. In that way, it promotes faster healing after a hard effort and can replace NSAID-type pain killers, which may negate some of the positive effects of working out. Maybe I ought to try going off the caffeine for a few weeks to try this out....or maybe somebody with less of an addiction would like to volunteer!

6. Woofer

Woofer New Member

What I meant was comment on the validity of the methods, sample subjects, etc.

The study found that *irregardless* of the effect and length of that effect of caffeine on an individual, there is a genetic component to a person's ability to absorb it and this means that caffeine is literally good for some people, and literally bad for others. This genetic trait is only detectable when searching specifically for it and is not the same as the effect of caffeine that we know and love.

7. bikeguy

bikeguy New Member

We don't have access to the article, but felt like commenting on caffeine's other effects anyway. ;)

-Bikeguy