cog replacement/freewheel

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Nancy Oakes, Mar 9, 2003.

  1. Nancy Oakes

    Nancy Oakes Guest

    Does anyone know how to remove the cogs from a circa 1974 5 spd Maeda Industries Ltd. Pro-Compe 5
    spd freewheel. I would like to change a cog. I did it last time over 25 yrs ago and forgot how.
    (senility?)
    P.S. no, I have not been riding it for 28 yrs, its still in good shape and worth using even if I
    can't change out the cog.

    Thanks Jeff

    Tags:

  2. On Sun, 09 Mar 2003 21:18:43 -0500, Nancy Oakes wrote:

    > Does anyone know how to remove the cogs from a circa 1974 5 spd Maeda Industries Ltd. Pro-Compe 5
    > spd freewheel. I would like to change a cog. I did it last time over 25 yrs ago and forgot how.
    > (senility?) P.S. no, I have not been riding it for 28 yrs, its still in good shape and worth using
    > even if I can't change out the cog.

    The smallest freewheel cogs tend to be threaded on, and because of that they will be very hard to
    remove, since they tighten with use -- and 28 years of sitting around will not make this easier. The
    larger cogs are probably splined and fit on specific parts of the freewheel body.

    Get 2 chain whips, put one on the smallest cog to try to loosen it, and put the other on the biggest
    to hold the freewheel.

    If you don't already have replacement cogs, you may be out of luck. I don't think you will find cogs
    for that freewheel for sale anywhere.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored _`\(,_ | by little
    statesmen and philosophers and divines." --Ralph Waldo (_)/ (_) | Emerson

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Nancy Oakes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone know how to remove the cogs from a circa 1974 5 spd Maeda Industries Ltd. Pro-Compe 5
    > spd freewheel. I would like to change a cog.
    > did it last time over 25 yrs ago and forgot how. (senility?)
    > P.S. no, I have not been riding it for 28 yrs, its still in good shape and worth using even if I
    > can't change out the cog.

    http://www.yellowjersey.org/stfw.html

    They are similar to Suntour Winners in that the last two cogs secure the lower gear splined ones.
    Hold the low gear in a cog vise. Uncrew the high gear with a chain-on-a-stick tool. Unscrew the
    second highest cog the same way. Now you can slip everything else off with your fingers.

    All the cogs and spacers for that system are readily available up to 38t!