Cog-wear gauge

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Neacalban1, Jun 29, 2003.

  1. Neacalban1

    Neacalban1 Guest

    Anyone ever seen one? I know how to measure a chain,either with a ruler, or a tool like Park's, and
    chain-rings aren't too hard to eye-ball, but aside from skipping or grinding,how does one gauge when
    to replace a cassette?

    Tags:

  2. Neacalban1 wrote:

    > Anyone ever seen one? I know how to measure a chain,either with a ruler, or a tool like Park's,
    > and chain-rings aren't too hard to eye-ball, but aside from skipping or grinding,how does one
    > gauge when to replace a cassette?

    Put a piece of chain on the cog under tension, and observe how well (or not) the last link can be
    seated. Look at the Rohloff tool for an idea
    --
    Marten

  3. John McGraw

    John McGraw Guest

    M-Gineering import & framebouw <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Neacalban1 wrote:
    > >
    > > Anyone ever seen one? I know how to measure a chain,either with a ruler, or a tool like Park's,
    > > and chain-rings aren't too hard to eye-ball, but aside from skipping or grinding,how does one
    > > gauge when to replace a cassette?
    >
    > Put a piece of chain on the cog under tension, and observe how well (or not) the last link can be
    > seated. Look at the Rohloff tool for an idea

    The Rolloff Cog gage only works on (I think) 26th & smaller cogs, regardless of what they say. It's
    just not reliable on larger cogs. But as is pointed out above, lg. chain rings are easy to judge. I
    think it works well as does their chain ware gauge. In fact I feel their chain gauge is better that
    the Park. The Park is too easy to bend the pin & get inaccurate readings. The first Park I ever used
    had this condition & indicated that all chains were worn out, evenwhen new.

  4. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    say, if you're using power links for removable chain cleaning and discover chain skip thereafter try
    putting the link back on exactly as it was when removed. Colored paper clips do the job with each
    link on the bent clip with long side of the clip holding thew link half and the short side attaching
    to the proper chain side!!!!. a thought that eases life's difficulties.