Coggan's 1-7 zones on Trial

acoggan said:
I have to admit, I had a really, really hard time trying to figure out what Jeurg meant in any of his posts...
Thank god for that Andy, I thought I was the only one. What do you make of this FaCT stuff

I've been trying to figure out this stuff as well.
For the life of me I can't figure out what on earth he's on about.
I've been reading some stuff on Addiscombe Cc's forum as well, and that's just as confusing...mainly because a pupil of Juerg seems to like answering questions by copying and pasting several pages of Jeurg's ideas, none of which make any grammatical sense :confused:
Anyway, from what I can gather, the whole system seems to be geared around finding your lactate balence point heart rate, which is often very low and way below threshold. It sort of equates to riding rather slowly. Then , you are supposed to train the majority of the time below that heart rate in the hope that you will become more efficient at that low heart rate .....or something:eek:

Seems grossly counter intuitive to me.:)

Andrew ask Hunter he knows Juerg and is a level 1 FaCT Centre.

Also Frank Day knows Juerg.

kant314 said:
Anyway, from what I can gather, the whole system seems to be geared around finding your lactate balence point heart rate, which is often very low and way below threshold.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but from what I've read it seems that LBP would occur somewhere around Coggan L2/L3 in most trained cyclists. Nothing revolutionary there as it's the time proven Euro pro training method, Lydiard approved, as well as backed by the TSS/CTL model (try riding a 200+ TSS L4 ride compared to a 200+ L2/L3 ride). Just repackaged with a new testing protocol and some cool power point slides.
I've adopted a more polarized training method over the last few months with a lot of riding which is probably around LBP. I increase intensity until I just start to "feel the burn" in the legs, then back off a bit. This is usually around 180-230 watts, and I can ride for hours without much fatigue the next day. For reference my FTP is ~280 watts.
IMO, LSD training and endurance miles get a bad rep from the people who noodle around soft pedalling at 50 watts for hours on end. They get about as much training as chatting around the water cooler.

Yes, I pretty much agree.
it seems to be a repackaged LSD formula that FaCT are pedalling, along with a lot of info about training different areas of the oxegen transportation system.

Can't see anything new here, really.

robuk said:
Andrew ask Hunter he knows Juerg and is a level 1 FaCT Centre.

Yes, I know that - in fact, Hunter asked me a bunch of questions back when he was first getting started with lactate testing. However, if I can't understand much of what Juerg is trying to say when it comes "straight from the horses mouth", I don't think hearing it second-hand from Hunter is really going to help much (unless Hunter knows Juerg's native language).

simplyred said:
Uh-oh - HRMs and Power Cranks are endorsed by FaCT... let the battle begin! :D
The battle of what, one handed clapping? ;)

I gotta say that the FaCT guy sure does like rambling on, although the part on EMG activity and muscle overutilization was an interesting read and goes part of the way to explain why Powercrank usage initially is a very slow and very painful situation...