Coggan's sweet spot chart

TiMan said:
what is the physiological reason for this?
It's possible to spend significantly more time in the "sweet spot" than you can spend riding at your FT.

whoawhoa said:
It's possible to spend significantly more time in the "sweet spot" than you can spend riding at your FT.

With that logic would you be willing to say that perhaps 2 hours at 85%(L3) is better then an hour at 100%?
I don't think so based on my experience.

TiMan said:
Dr. Coggan....is this chart telling me that I will see greater training effect for increasing FTP if I ride at 85-95% of my FTP rather than at 100%? ...what is the physiological reason for this?

Thanx

http://www.twowheelblogs.com/2-old-...ional-threshold-power-ride-in-your-sweet-spot

Let me start by saying that the notion of a "sweet spot" is just a subjective impression that I (and many others before me, e.g., Lydiard) have formed. It's therefore difficult to pin things down with exact numbers, and the chart to which you linked is really just my attempt to conceptually relate the idea to the training levels (instead of, say, VO2max). IOW, don't take it too literally (esp. since that's somebody else's modification of my original - rather lame! - "artist's rendering".)

Having said all of the above, I do believe that there tends to be a "sweet spot" with respect to training intensity, which if push came-to-shove I'd say lies between the level 2/level 3 border and functional threshold power (i.e., between 76 and 100% of functional threshold power). Below the lower end of that range, the training stimulus simply isn't as great, whereas above the upper end of that range, either you simply can't do as much total work or the nature of the adaptations themselves begin to change. In between lies a bit of a "sweet spot", in which the combination of volume and intensity appears to be maximized, leading to the greatest adaptation.

So to directly answer your question: no, I don't believe that you should necessarily be training at 85-95% vs. 100% of functional threshold power. However, I do believe that, in general, you're better off not pushing too much above 100%, as that may excessively limit the total amount of training that you can do, and thus the overall benefit obtained.

Final caveat: no matter how much "sweet spot" training you do, at some point you will end up bumping up against your own personal ceiling with respect to how high you can raise your functional threshold power (right, Rick? ;) ). At that point you really have no choice but to crank up the intensity, in hopes of eking a small additional gain even though there might not be much of one to be had. So, I also view the choice of training intensity in the context of one's overall plan/progress...

acoggan said:
Let me start by saying that the notion of a "sweet spot" is just a subjective impression that I (and many others before me, e.g., Lydiard) have formed. It's therefore difficult to pin things down with exact numbers, and the chart to which you linked is really just my attempt to conceptually relate the idea to the training levels (instead of, say, VO2max). IOW, don't take it too literally (esp. since that's somebody else's modification of my original - rather lame! - "artist's rendering".)

Having said all of the above, I do believe that there tends to be a "sweet spot" with respect to training intensity, which if push came-to-shove I'd say lies between the level 2/level 3 border and functional threshold power (i.e., between 76 and 100% of functional threshold power). Below the lower end of that range, the training stimulus simply isn't as great, whereas above the upper end of that range, either you simply can't do as much total work or the nature of the adaptations themselves begin to change. In between lies a bit of a "sweet spot", in which the combination of volume and intensity appears to be maximized, leading to the greatest adaptation.

So to directly answer your question: no, I don't believe that you should necessarily be training at 85-95% vs. 100% of functional threshold power. However, I do believe that, in general, you're better off not pushing too much above 100%, as that may excessively limit the total amount of training that you can do, and thus the overall benefit obtained.

Final caveat: no matter how much "sweet spot" training you do, at some point you will end up bumping up against your own personal ceiling with respect to how high you can raise your functional threshold power (right, Rick? ;) ). At that point you really have no choice but to crank up the intensity, in hopes of eking a small additional gain even though there might not be much of one to be had. So, I also view the choice of training intensity in the context of one's overall plan/progress...

Good reply and thanx!

acoggan said:

very nice post. I have nothing but good things to say about SST ...

But yes - keep going to the well and eventually she'll be dry - at least until rainy season :)

acoggan said:
I found this paragraph the most interesting, and I hope you don't mind elaborating on it some. Is there a physiological reason that you would expect to hit a plateau on l3/low l4 yet be able to gain more FTP with high l4 training? Is it related to FTP, e.g., if you've pushed CTL as high as you feasibly can with sst training, then the only way to improve further is to gradually add intensity while trying to keep CTL the same?

In reality, I really don't think one can just ride at l4 if your route has hills and gusty winds. All of my high tempo workout I find myself pushing at my FT and up for more than 30 minutes over 2 hours+ session.

whoawhoa said:
I found this paragraph the most interesting, and I hope you don't mind elaborating on it some. Is there a physiological reason that you would expect to hit a plateau on l3/low l4 yet be able to gain more FTP with high l4 training? Is it related to FTP, e.g., if you've pushed CTL as high as you feasibly can with sst training, then the only way to improve further is to gradually add intensity while trying to keep CTL the same?

rmur17 said:
very nice post. I have nothing but good things to say about SST ...

But yes - keep going to the well and eventually she'll be dry - at least until rainy season :)
Rick, do you mind sharing how the composition of your training changes in the last months before a peak/goal after a long period of SST?

whoawhoa said:
Is there a physiological reason that you would expect to hit a plateau on l3/low l4 yet be able to gain more FTP with high l4 training?

All I could do is speculate.

whoawhoa said:
What I took that to mean is that after some point the ceiling becomes Vo2Max, i.e. you have trained FT to the point that your limitation is Vo2Max and gains in FT would require higher than L4 intensity to raise Vo2Max or "bump up the ceiling".

acoggan said:
Please forgive my ignorance, but the curves shown really confuse me.
Surely the Maximum Duration (volume) curve should be concave and not convex as shown?

dome said:
Please forgive my ignorance, but the curves shown really confuse me.
Surely the Maximum Duration (volume) curve should be concave and not convex as shown?

I think I see the source of your confusion: you're used to seeing power plotted as the dependent (Y) variable, with time as the independent (X) variable, in which case the curve is concave. However, the "sweet spot" chart has power on the X axis and time on the Y axis, which reverses things - flip the chart around, and I'm sure it will look much more familiar.

acoggan said:
I think I see the source of your confusion: you're used to seeing power plotted as the dependent (Y) variable, with time as the independent (X) variable, in which case the curve is concave. However, the "sweet spot" chart has power on the X axis and time on the Y axis, which reverses things - flip the chart around, and I'm sure it will look much more familiar.
Thank you, I tried that, but to get the power increasing upward on the Y, and time increasing to the right on the X, I have to rotate the page and look at it from the back (mirror image). I then have the same setup as a normal Power Duration Curve, but the curve is still convex instead of concave?

dome said:
The Max Duration curve combines with the Strain curve to show that only a certain amount of 'stress' (combination of strain and volume) can be withstood by the individual. Are you saying it should be concave (upward) in order to show a multiplication with the Strain curve to produce a fixed stress? I would probably agree with that although that probably makes the diagram *more confusing* for many people. :)

I once stated that I thought the Training Effect should be an 'S' curve, low at the low end, rising dramatically through the L2/L3 border, and high (but flattening) at the upper end. If that were the case, then it'd be very easy to see that the sweet spot concept resulted from the combination of the training effect curve and the volume curve.

In the end, it's simply a diagram or sketch and not a mathematical model.

whoawhoa said:
Rick, do you mind sharing how the composition of your training changes in the last months before a peak/goal after a long period of SST?
I had a nice detailed reply written this morning but got a "server too busy" error when I posted it. Arghh...

to just quickly summarize: as I'm 95% a tt'r (and still haven't figured out how much L5 work I should be doing), I switch from four core tempo rides and one LL4 (plus one off-day and one easy day) to:

Mon: Off
Tue: Mid-upper L4 (sometimes split workout, au bloc, TT bike)
Wed: Mid-upper L4
Thu: Tempo usually solo and just steady
Fri: Easy L2
Sat: Hard/long small group tempo+ ride (often with 1+ hrs of sustained L4 with some dodgy L5 :))
Sun: Mid L4 (training TT on TT bike)

So my Tue/Wed rides become shorter and 'harder'. My Thursday and Sat tempo ride are pretty much the same. And my Sunday ride is harder L4. Typically I get in 4-6 hrs of L4 per week with 6-7 hrs tempo.

Avg. weekly IF rises from ~0.83 to ~0.88 when I make this switch.

My key TT's are only 20-25k or ~30MP so I target this duration quite a lot during an L4 focus block as listed above. Specificity is well covered :D

rmur17 said:
My key TT's are only 20-25k or ~30MP so I target this duration quite a lot during an L4 focus block as listed above. Specificity is well covered :D

Rick,

Since your target event is only slightly longer than an elite 10K runner's time, have you considered training like a 10K runner? The link below may help you to structure your training time and intensities. You'll have to translate the papers terminology to AC's levels but that shouldn't be too hard.

http://www.billat.net/articles/492003-billat-training_bioenergetic_character_kenyan-msse.pdf

greg

frenchyge said:
The Max Duration curve combines with the Strain curve to show that only a certain amount of 'stress' (combination of strain and volume) can be withstood by the individual. Are you saying it should be concave (upward) in order to show a multiplication with the Strain curve to produce a fixed stress? I would probably agree with that although that probably makes the diagram *more confusing* for many people. :)

I once stated that I thought the Training Effect should be an 'S' curve, low at the low end, rising dramatically through the L2/L3 border, and high (but flattening) at the upper end. If that were the case, then it'd be very easy to see that the sweet spot concept resulted from the combination of the training effect curve and the volume curve.

In the end, it's simply a diagram or sketch and not a mathematical model.
At first, I thought that the Max Duration curve was nothing other than the well known Power Duration curve.
Then, similarly to your first paragraph, I wondered if it took into consideration that shorter duration higher intensity intervals could be repeated a few times in the same time as a longer duration effort could (TSS concept). But whichever way I try to apply it to a real life Power Duration curve, the curve shape stays the same as the Power Duration curve.
So the Max Duration curve is either incorrectly shaped, or it represents something that I have not understood. And I would really like to understand it.

dome said:
So the Max Duration curve is either incorrectly shaped, or it represents something that I have not understood.
IMHO, it's incorrectly shaped. The concept is that a rider can't handle as much training at higher intensities, which it shows in a way that most people can easily understand.