Coincidence of the year so far...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tim Hall, Mar 5, 2006.

  1. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    This weekend I was holed up at a Scout leader training course held at
    a residential centre in Hassocks, West Sussex. This is about 15 miles
    from where I live, so I cycled down there.

    Mid morning today I had a two hour gap in my schedule, so I mooched
    around, read the paper then decided to go out for a short ride - maybe
    up Ditchling Beacon, maybe along the foot of the downs.

    I popped my jacket on over my uniform and wheeled the bike down the
    drive. A look to the right to check everything was clear. It wasn't -
    two bikes were a spit away, ridden by a family in the local tandem
    club branch.

    They live 25 miles from where I was, had no idea I was in Hassocks at
    all and were just scoping out a ride for later in the year. 10 seconds
    either way and I would have missed them. I joined them in the winter
    sunshine for a quick tootle.

    Next week we're choosing lottery numbers.

    Tim

    Tags:

  2. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Tim Hall wrote:
    > Next week we're choosing lottery numbers.

    SWMBO and I do this. Pick six numbers put the pound in the tin. We win
    back our pound every week.. So far we haven't lost a million.

    ...d

  3. Nobody Here

    Nobody Here Guest

    Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote:
    > They live 25 miles from where I was, had no idea I was in Hassocks at
    > all and were just scoping out a ride for later in the year. 10 seconds
    > either way and I would have missed them. I joined them in the winter
    > sunshine for a quick tootle.

    Hah. A staff member in our department went on holiday to the States
    a few years ago, and amongst many other things visited the Grand Canyon
    for the day. When he arrived at one of the many viewpoints there he
    happened upon another member of the department. Not *that's* a
    coincidence!

    --
    Nobby Anderson

  4. David Martin wrote:
    > Tim Hall wrote:
    >> Next week we're choosing lottery numbers.

    > SWMBO and I do this. Pick six numbers put the pound in the tin. We win
    > back our pound every week.. So far we haven't lost a million.

    My dad does the same thing -- he has a set of numbers which he hasn't
    changed since the first lottery -- I think he's 'won' about £20, but he's
    saved much, much more.

  5. vernon

    vernon Guest

    Simon Bennett wrote:
    > David Martin wrote:
    > > Tim Hall wrote:
    > >> Next week we're choosing lottery numbers.

    > > SWMBO and I do this. Pick six numbers put the pound in the tin. We win
    > > back our pound every week.. So far we haven't lost a million.

    > My dad does the same thing -- he has a set of numbers which he hasn't
    > changed since the first lottery -- I think he's 'won' about £20, but he's
    > saved much, much more.

    By not spending £10 per week on the lottery I bet I've saved even more
    :)

    I'm mindful of the joke about the chap who claims to have saved money
    by walking instead of catching the bus. His mate reckoned he'd have
    saved more if he'd walked instead of talking a taxi. :)

  6. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "vernon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    SNIP
    >By not spending £10 per week on the lottery I bet I've >saved even more:)

    Reminds me of that that female comedienne (the one who died last week) had
    said "By not doing the lottery, I am only just less likely to win than those
    who do it".

    I though it rather good.

    SNIP
    DaveB

  7. Nobody Here

    Nobody Here Guest

    Dave <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "vernon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    > SNIP
    >>By not spending £10 per week on the lottery I bet I've >saved even more:)

    > Reminds me of that that female comedienne (the one who died last week) had
    > said "By not doing the lottery, I am only just less likely to win than those
    > who do it".
    >
    > I though it rather good.

    Naa, that's mathematically incorrect. You're actucally infinitely more
    likely to win the lottery if you buy a ticket compared with someone who
    doesn't. That makes it a dead cert, then :)

    --
    Nobby Anderson

  8. "Nobody Here" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> They live 25 miles from where I was, had no idea I was in Hassocks at
    >> all and were just scoping out a ride for later in the year. 10 seconds
    >> either way and I would have missed them. I joined them in the winter
    >> sunshine for a quick tootle.

    > Hah. A staff member in our department went on holiday to the States
    > a few years ago, and amongst many other things visited the Grand Canyon
    > for the day. When he arrived at one of the many viewpoints there he
    > happened upon another member of the department. Not *that's* a
    > coincidence!
    >
    > --
    > Nobby Anderson

    I think my family is prone to it:

    1) Got off a bus from Oakland to San Francisco at the Transbay Terminal and
    ran into a friend; he'd walked down to Phantom Ranch (bottom of the Grand
    Canyon two days after me).
    2) My son, currently at Bath Uni has recently had his round the world gap
    year, went into a coffee shop at the weekend and found himself sitting near
    a girl he recognised. When he realised where from it was New Zealand 6
    months ago.
    3) Got on a BA flight to Belfast and ran into a first officer who I'd been
    on a scout camp with about 6 weeks before
    4) Got on another BA flight and ran into my brother in law (a BA Captain)
    when he wasn't supposed to be flying 757s any more
    5) Walking across Victoria Station concourse towards the barrier line and
    found myself walking next to someone (and his family) I hadn't seen for
    several years
    6) My dad, in the 60's, stopped in Singapore on his way home from Australia
    and as he walked into Raffles a neighbour who was a BOAC Captain walked out.
    Even more amazing was that our neighbour was operating the flight my dad was
    travelling on the following day
    7) My mum, coming home from Amsterdam, met my Sister in Law (BA Cabin Crew)
    on the plane
    8) At a National Trust Property in Sussex met a woman I'd worked with in my
    first job (she now in Hertfordshire, me in Berkshire).
    9) Someone I worked with in about my 3rd job kept turning up one particular
    trade show for about 3 years running - not on a particular stand, just ran
    into him.
    10) Going to another trade show about a month ago met an ex colleague on
    Clapham Junction
    11) My son made friends with a boy when he went to secondary school.
    Turned out this boys mother was the sister of someone we'd known about 15
    years before in a different part of the country.
    12) The mother of a girl in anothers sons' 6th form turned up as a dep in a
    band I work with.

    And, we're also fairly good a celeb spotting. Two weeks ago, waiting to
    pick up a Danish colleague off a flight from Seattle in Denver spotted Prof
    Sir Robert Winston.

  9. > And, we're also fairly good a celeb spotting. Two weeks ago, waiting
    > to pick up a Danish colleague off a flight from Seattle in Denver
    > spotted Prof Sir Robert Winston.

    Well, if we're name dropping people with titles...

    My unbeatable KG-PC-Life Peer combo beats your Life Peer-Professor:

    I once had a fist fight with Sir Robin Leigh-Pemberton.

  10. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Mark Thompson wrote:
    > > And, we're also fairly good a celeb spotting. Two weeks ago, waiting
    > > to pick up a Danish colleague off a flight from Seattle in Denver
    > > spotted Prof Sir Robert Winston.

    > Well, if we're name dropping people with titles...
    >
    > My unbeatable KG-PC-Life Peer combo beats your Life Peer-Professor:
    >
    > I once had a fist fight with Sir Robin Leigh-Pemberton.

    I once had a chat with Phil the Greek (KG KT and many other things
    too). I also work with a coupl eof Professor Sir wotsits.

    ...d

  11. In article <[email protected]>, Graham
    Harrison ([email protected]) wrote:

    [Series of Odd Events]

    One upon a time, when Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.) was still a lieutenant
    and helping to stem the Evil Tide of Communism in Germany in the 50's,
    he had a German grilf. For a while. She ended it after he managed to
    roll his Mercedes convertible into a ditch with the pair of them inside
    it.

    Cut to October 1996. TWFKAML and Yours Truly have just got married.
    Among those present at the wedding is TWFKAML's best mate from uni, one
    Axel Plass. Axel hails from the town of Lemgo. "Oh yes", says Lt. Col.
    Larrington (retd.) "I know it well. Used to go out with a girl from
    Lemgo." Further discussion reveals that the ex-grilf is Axel's mother's
    best friend...

    I thought I saw his name on a jar of marmalade the other day, but when I
    looked more closely, I saw it read 'thick cut'.

  12. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    Mark Thompson wrote:

    > Well, if we're name dropping people with titles...
    >
    > My unbeatable KG-PC-Life Peer combo beats your Life Peer-Professor:
    >
    > I once had a fist fight with Sir Robin Leigh-Pemberton.

    I once dead-legged New Labour MP Chris Pond. Mind you, he wasn't an MP
    then as we were both only 9 at the time.

    --
    Dave...

  13. Nobody Here wrote:
    >Dave <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> Reminds me of that that female comedienne (the one who died last week) had
    >> said "By not doing the lottery, I am only just less likely to win than those
    >> who do it".
    >>
    >> I though it rather good.

    >Naa, that's mathematically incorrect. You're actucally infinitely more
    >likely to win the lottery if you buy a ticket compared with someone who
    >doesn't.

    Naa, that's mathematically incorrect. You could not buy a ticket and
    happen to find the winning one lying in the road, so buying one only
    makes it many times more likely, not infinitely.

    Besides which "hardly any chance at all" is both infinitely more times
    likely than "no chance at all" _and_ only just a tiny bit more likely than
    "no chance at all".

  14. Dave wrote:
    > "vernon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    > SNIP
    >> By not spending 10 per week on the lottery I bet I've >saved even
    >> more:)

    > Reminds me of that that female comedienne (the one who died last
    > week) had said "By not doing the lottery, I am only just less likely
    > to win than those who do it".

    The figure I heard was that you had the same chance of winning the recent
    Euro millions draw as of choosing the right number on a roulette wheel with
    a diameter 10 miles greater than the M25.

    Which seems a rather wasteful thing to do to Greater London, to me.

    --
    Ambrose

  15. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 17:58:45 -0000, "Ambrose Nankivell"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Dave wrote:
    >> "vernon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> SNIP
    >>> By not spending 10 per week on the lottery I bet I've >saved even
    >>> more:)

    >> Reminds me of that that female comedienne (the one who died last
    >> week) had said "By not doing the lottery, I am only just less likely
    >> to win than those who do it".

    >The figure I heard was that you had the same chance of winning the recent
    >Euro millions draw as of choosing the right number on a roulette wheel with
    >a diameter 10 miles greater than the M25.

    Yebbut, in my mind's eye there's now a bloody great roulette wheel
    with a ball the size of, say, St Paul's Cathederal, bouncing round the
    normal number of slots, so the odds remain the same.

    Tim

  16. vernon

    vernon Guest

    "David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Mark Thompson wrote:
    > > > And, we're also fairly good a celeb spotting. Two weeks ago, waiting
    > > > to pick up a Danish colleague off a flight from Seattle in Denver
    > > > spotted Prof Sir Robert Winston.

    > > Well, if we're name dropping people with titles...
    > >
    > > My unbeatable KG-PC-Life Peer combo beats your Life Peer-Professor:
    > >
    > > I once had a fist fight with Sir Robin Leigh-Pemberton.

    > I once had a chat with Phil the Greek (KG KT and many other things
    > too). I also work with a coupl eof Professor Sir wotsits.

    I've had my work with kids in science commended by Lord Sainsbury and
    Baroness Susan Greenfield
    I've collected a £10,000 prize from Bill Gates.....

  17. Graeme Dods

    Graeme Dods Guest

    On 06 Mar 2006 08:46:28 GMT, Nobody Here wrote:

    > Hah. A staff member in our department went on holiday to the States
    > a few years ago, and amongst many other things visited the Grand Canyon
    > for the day. When he arrived at one of the many viewpoints there he
    > happened upon another member of the department. Not *that's* a
    > coincidence!

    I remember reading an article several years ago (probably New Scientist)
    about "coincidences". It explained why such occurences are much more common
    than you might think due to things such as shared social background,
    values, interests etc.

    What I've found uncanny since then is that almost NO coincidences happen to
    me! Not once have I met someone, somewhere unexpectantly. Perhaps that
    article means when I meet someone I now think more about the reasons for
    their presence there (like meeting some guys from the UK at trade show in
    Sydney, no real surprise there, same section of the industry and they'd
    also chosen to emigrate to Australia).

    Meeting anyone I know from more than 3 years ago would be a massive
    (hopefully pleasant) surprise now that I'm round the other side of the
    world. Perhaps they see me coming down the street and hide? :)

    Graeme

  18. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

  19. Tim Hall wrote:
    > On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 17:58:45 -0000, "Ambrose Nankivell"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Dave wrote:
    >>> "vernon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:[email protected]
    >>>
    >>> SNIP
    >>>
    >>> Reminds me of that that female comedienne (the one who died last
    >>> week) had said "By not doing the lottery, I am only just less likely
    >>> to win than those who do it".

    >> The figure I heard was that you had the same chance of winning the
    >> recent Euro millions draw as of choosing the right number on a
    >> roulette wheel with a diameter 10 miles greater than the M25.

    > Yebbut, in my mind's eye there's now a bloody great roulette wheel
    > with a ball the size of, say, St Paul's Cathederal, bouncing round the
    > normal number of slots, so the odds remain the same.

    Well correct your mind's eye, then. Do I have to do everything for you?

    (It's a normal size ball. I have no idea what that size is, and no interest
    in finding out, of course.)
    --
    Ambrose

  20. daren

    daren Guest

    Nobody Here wrote:
    > Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > They live 25 miles from where I was, had no idea I was in Hassocks at
    > > all and were just scoping out a ride for later in the year. 10 seconds
    > > either way and I would have missed them. I joined them in the winter
    > > sunshine for a quick tootle.

    > Hah. A staff member in our department went on holiday to the States
    > a few years ago, and amongst many other things visited the Grand Canyon
    > for the day. When he arrived at one of the many viewpoints there he
    > happened upon another member of the department. Not *that's* a
    > coincidence!
    >
    > --
    > Nobby Anderson

    Conference in Colorado?

    Coincidences should be contrasted with the enormous number of
    non-coincidences, all those people you meet but don't know. Remember
    six associations gets you to anyone. sometimes five, sometimes fewer.
    In this case it was one :)

    d.