Coity Mountain

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Ac, Mar 6, 2004.

  1. Ac

    Ac Guest

    Another nice Saturday.... a linear walk (well it was a
    proposed linear one!) today.

    Started from Brynmawr. Parked the car outside my mate's
    house which is on the Blaenavon road and walked across the
    way to the bottom of the hill. Past a farm and then onto the
    hill proper. No definite tracks but a clear way to the top
    of Milfran (for anyone following this on a map) I am not
    very good reading maps as it goes and was surprised that our
    route is more to the left of us than I expected. In the
    distance I can see what looks like a double tracked fence
    resembling a race course! My mate Al and I head towards it
    (and Cefn Coch) and discuss what it might be. We reckon it
    is the proposed site of the Windfarm for this area. The
    fence goes goes for as far as the eye can see and we follow
    to the side of it - the track has obviously been churned up
    by 2 & 4 fourwheeled machines *sigh* Sure enough within 20
    mins of walking the noise of 3 motor cross bikes are heard
    from behind us. As they pass I am quite surprised that the
    riders are all in their 40ts or 50ts! Normally I would
    expect it to be youngsters? Also with a track this wide the
    other blot on the landscape - a burn out car - I reckoned we
    missed Cefn Coch as the track headed away from this side of
    the mountain and as the mountain starts to go downward a
    little we decide to leap the fences and head for Coity. The
    mountain if I am honest is rather featureless - although the
    views behind show the Beacons up well and to the South are
    good views of the coast. Neither of us have gps - and
    wouldn't know how to use it anyway - so finding the highest
    part of the Coity is done by eye and guesswork - no cairns
    or trig points here boyo! We both head towards what looks
    like a little tump and sure enough there is a sheepbone
    stuck on the mound - someone else thinks this is it aswell
    we reckon! From this point some of the south coastal views
    are lost but to the North, East and West there are expansive
    views. To the West Mynydd James and Coity are separated by
    the Cwmtillery valley but we head off southerly towards
    Mynydd Farteg Fawr for a better view of the coast. I see
    Llanwern Steel works most days - I work there! but today it
    is at a nice distance! We then head back towards our
    destination, Abertillery, which is south of the Cwmtillery
    valley. We pass the heads of 2 small valleys - one which
    years ago had a rifle range at the top of it. As a youngster
    living in Abertillery I used to tramp over the mountain and
    camp in this small valley - we called it Bobby's Helmet
    because of the strange helmut shaped dome nestling in the
    valley - this was probably something to do with the range?
    There are a few old air shaft sites here as well. We find a
    opening in the long fence and shortly the town of
    Abertillery comes into view. Below us is Gelli Grug a place
    I know well - I was born in a small house here many moons
    ago! We find a small nook in the mountain on our decent and
    we sit down to have a break - I have a cup of tea from my
    flask (a stainless tell Alladin 1litre) and Al opens his
    bottle of mineral water. I point out the venue where I went
    to see the band Mountain (anyone remember them?) a month or
    so ago.We both decide that it was not a great walk although
    it was good to get out and exercise and are grateful that it
    didn't rain. I phone my wife and tell her to pick us up in
    30 minutes from the town and we head down through the houses
    to be picked up - I take a walk past the house I was born in
    nearly 46 years ago which was quite nice. We have now
    covered the 3 mountains in our local area so it's time we go
    up the beacons again!

    Tags:

  2. Ac

    Ac Guest

    AC wrote:

    > > The mountain if I am honest is rather featureless -

    > Many are. Pity, since it's the highest in the area.

    > > We have now covered the 3 mountains in our local area so
    > > it's time we go up the beacons again!

    "Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

    > But you haven't collected the set yet! Only Blorenge left
    > to go. :)

    >> I thought I mentioned I did Blorenge a few weeks ago? -
    >> it's one I have
    walked around a good few times.

  3. AC wrote:

    >>> We have now covered the 3 mountains in our local area so
    >>> it's time we go up the beacons again!

    >> But you haven't collected the set yet! Only Blorenge
    >> left to go.
    >> :)
    >
    >>> I thought I mentioned I did Blorenge a few weeks ago? -
    >>> it's one I have walked around a good few times.

    Oh right, but you only mentioned 3 above. Domen Fawr, Carn-y-
    cefn, Coity and Blorenge makes 4.

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk