Coke bottles thrown at cyclists in shocking beach road attack

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
Cyclists have been terrorised on Beach Road by motorists screaming abuse and hurling bottles of soft drink at them.

Two men in a green Holden Commodore began following and harassing a group of cyclists along the popular riding route at Beaumaris about 7.10am on Wednesday.

Rider Melinda Fisher said she was lucky to be alive she was hit in the head by a full 1.25 litre of Coke that was hurled from the car.

Ms Fisher's partner, Greg, said the driver of the Commodore made a U-turn, before the passenger threw one full bottle of Coke at the group.

When the first bottle missed, he said, the car drove ahead to find Ms Fisher. Another full 1.25 litre bottle of Coke was thrown from the car, this time hitting its target. "It caused her to crash immediately and hit the road," Greg said.

He said cyclists regularly copped vitriol along Beach Road, but Wednesday morning's incident was especially disturbing.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/c...ocking-beach-road-attack-20160120-gm9t4v.html

God damn, that's crazy. I never had an experience like this, nor anything even near as crazy as this. Just... Wow. What did a cyclist do to you?

They're nuts in soo many ways. First, hurling filled bottles at people. Come on, you're better than a monkey, you're an ape at best. Second, that's a waste of soda! These people bought these sodas to throw? Or was it convenient as they went through a monstrous rage? At least nobody was killed.

What is that for anyway? Why did they harass the cyclists? I can't even think of a reason as to why a normal person would do this. I feel so sorry for those cyclists. But at the same time, relieved that they didn't sustain serious injuries.

I find myself asking why as well. Stupid morons with too much time on their hands.

I hope the lady was not hurt too much from the impact and from the crash.

I think that is an isolated case. It's either those coke bottle-throwers are insane or they had a bad experience with cyclists. At any rate, it is not the standard on the road to hurt cyclists. The cyclists should have done something like getting the plate number of the vehicle or maybe chasing the vehicle (although this is not practical). Especially when a cyclist was injured by that incident, the culprits should be made to pay for their misdeeds.

Cyclists have been terrorised on Beach Road by motorists screaming abuse and hurling bottles of soft drink at them.
Two men in a green Holden Commodore began following and harassing a group of cyclists along the popular riding route at Beaumaris about 7.10am on Wednesday.
Rider Melinda Fisher said she was lucky to be alive after she was hit in the head by a full 1.25 liter of Coke that was hurled from the car.
Rage of any kind is inappropriate. By all means, internalise your crying, but aggressive behaviour towards any other road user is totally unjustifiable. Seek help if you lack control of your emotions to that extent.
I have almost been doored on numerous occasions, had cars pull into my bike lane with no signal and almost run me down - I've even had some ***** in an Audi have the audacity to tell me through his window at the lights, not to ride my bicycle in the city during peak hour (i.e. when I'm commuting just like him). I didn't feel the need to respond with aggression in any of those instances

Man, I wonder how some people got their license. We usually get yelled at (usually it's an angry "Get on the sidewalk!/get off the road!"). Once during a group ride a pick up truck drove right next to some of the cyclists and someone in the truck tried to grab/push them (on a descent no less). I think that incident was mainly out of "boredom" rather than anger.

Drivers be crazy.

What kind of craziness is this?? Why would someone in their right mind do such a thing? That motorist is crazy

Why are there so many Oz motorists assaulting such peaceful cyclists?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I prefer the Russian approach to getting assaulted....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Damn that is just stupid! What kind of behaviour is throwing bottles on cyclists? What did they ever do to you? Motorists are becoming stupider and stupider by the day! Coke has better uses than to be thrown at people! Just happy that there were no serious injuries.

I have never seen anything like this before. I can't even think of one reason why people are like this these days. It's like the whole world is becoming more violent.

Is like they are against a healthier practice as it is cycling. Throwing cokes at them maybe expecting that the riders will magically grow fat as them, run to the nearest bike store and buy a fuel hungry motorbike.

Some people have totally no respect for other people. I try and avoid these places, because the people are always unruly. This is an embarrassment. Hopefully the cyclists are okay after all this.

That's absolutely insane! I had a similar incident although not as dramatic or dangerous, when I was commuting to work during the summer when 2 drunk guys just ran behind me, trying to kick me off my bike. I can't understand how people would endanger someone else's life like that.