rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Coker Spoke Corrosion

Started by n9jcv · · Last activity · 4 posts · 329 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
31 October 2005
Last activity
31 October 2005
Original author
n9jcv
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
329
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello All,
    I have a Coker from UDC with the wide hub and the Airfoil rim built by
    Kovachi. When I bought it, the site said 12g spokes.

    I have had it less than a year. I rode 1500 miles this summer on it.
    Today, I was cleaning it really well, and I noticed that almost every
    spoke has one or more spots of corrosion. Most are at least 1/4 inch
    or more.

    My guess is that the spokes are NOT stainless steel. Perhaps I should
    have investigated and looked to upgrade them. I have always ridden in
    dry weather and ride the easy stuff, no MUNI with it. So why are the
    spoke corroded.

    Here is my theory, When I ride I usually ride 20-40 miles a day. I
    sweat like a pig, even with a headband and helmet, and I believe the
    sweat drips on the spokes. The salt from my body causes the spoke to
    corrode. Neither the frame or the rim have any corrosion.

    Has anyone else had these same results?

    Does anyone know, would the same thing happen with Stainless Steel
    spokes?

    Did I get a bad batch of spokes?

    Should I ride the wheel to it's death, or get a new batch of spokes and
    have it re-built?

    --
    n9jcv
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    n9jcv's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7844
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44360

  2. My first 24' uni suffered from sea water corrosion problem. The answer
    to your problem is a product called "Boeshield T-9." Another user in
    the forum Doug, recommended it and I have been using it faithfully
    since. And no more corrosion problems! I have a Coker and asked about
    the corrosion problem way back.
    "http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40076

    --
    leadpan

    "Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever" - Lance Armstrong
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    leadpan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9751
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44360

  3. The stock Coker spokes are not Stainless Steel. My old stock Coker
    spokes look like they're zinc coated but it's hard to tell for sure. I
    don't know if they're still using the same type of spokes as back then
    or not.

    Corrosion on the spokes will be mostly cosmetic, except for if you get
    corrosion near the threads and near the nipple. If you get corrosion
    around the nipple it could become difficult to true your wheel and
    adjust spoke tension.

    Do what leadpan suggests and spray a protectant on the spokes and
    that'll be good enough.

    --
    john_childs

    john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
    Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
    'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
    'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    john_childs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/449
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44360

  4. A magnet will not stick to good stainless steel.

    --
    cheech
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    cheech's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9388
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44360

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.