Cokering in the Snow in NYC!

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by HardcoreCokerRider, Jan 22, 2005.

  1. Just a quick message to let you guys know how much fun I'm having
    sliding around in the snow through the streets of NYC... a LOT!!! The
    Coker handles the snow so amazingly well, I think the machine should
    also be officially classified as a SNUni! I power through the packed
    snow from the cars path at a pretty amazing speed. Turns are reallt
    fun... it's just a totally different technique... DON"T LEAN AT ALL...
    just keep the frame upright and slide it around the turn! The most
    amazing thing to me is how often I think I'm going to go down... and I
    don't! Everyone who see's me is flipping out! Since the cars have to
    drive slow and cautiously... it's really cool that I can go much faster
    than all of them! All the roads of NYC are my oyster! Oh and one other
    really cool thing... loosing traction is the best! When I lose traction,
    my wheel spins in the snow and I do a burn and a rooster tail of snow
    gets thrown up behind me. Has anyone else on the forum had the fun of
    experiencing burning rooster tails in the snow on a Coker? If you
    haven't ridden your Coker in the snow... get out there the next time
    there's a blizzard in your area... I guarantee you'll have the time of
    your life :D! Right now, I'm heading back out for more fun... (I wish I
    had a digital camera or video recorder to take some shots for you guys
    :mad: !)

    --
    HardcoreCokerRider - Skateparks, MTB & Urban Insanity
    HardcoreCokerRider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8529

  2. HardcoreCokerRider wrote:
    > *Has anyone else on the forum had the fun of experiencing burning
    > rooster tails in the snow on a Coker? *

    I have

    I agree that it's incredible fun. I quit riding my bike in the snow, as
    the Coker was much easier due to being able to plow through anything in
    it's way.

    --
    Brian MacKenzie - LAN Solo

    Forthcoming DVD
    TRAINING WHEEL NOT REQUIRED:
    '8mb Trailer' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/TWNR_Trailer2.wmv)

    'Unicycle Product Reviews'
    (http://londonunicyclingclub.ca/unicycleReviews.aspx)
    *120* reviews on *77* products, never make an uninformed purchase again!

    TWNR World Premiere Party Feb 19 in Cleveland at
    'Ray's Indoor Mountainbike Park' (http://www.raysmtb.com)! Click 'here'
    (http://tinyurl.com/5qnwb) for more info
    YOU NEED TO BE ON THE LIST I SUBMIT ON JAN 30 IN ORDER TO COME, PLEASE.
    ANTENDEES WILL RECIEVE A FREE, LIMITED EDITION DVD OF THE WEEKEND!
    EMAIL ME AT BRIANANDLEEANNE (AT) SYMPATICO.CA

    Canadian Premiere is at UWO, London Ontario, Feb 27th. Group MUni rides
    planned!

    Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

  3. Chrashing

    Chrashing Guest

    Great idea Hardcore,
    It must have been nice owning the NYC roads.

    I wasn't on a Coker, but here upstate Poughkeepsie NY, I got out in the
    5inch snow, 5degrees F weather on my trusty 24" nimbus Muni. I was
    careful to wear my new 661 leg and arm protection.

    It was touch and go most of the way for me. Basically made it along
    level pavement OK, but if there was any uphill slope at all I was off.
    Mounting is really tough, but possible.

    I had a little slipping and would like to think there was some rooster
    tailing going on, but I could not look.

    It was good to be back on the wheel again.

    --
    Chrashing - Just Lucky

    Regards,
    Chrashing
    Chrashing's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7501

  4. wogri

    wogri Guest

    We got about 4 or 5 inches of snow here in Northern Virginia, too. I was
    riding my 24" Muni today, but I wasn't really ruling the streets, it was
    my first touch with snow, and my tyre is really bold. Nevertheless it
    was an interesting experience (one has to be much more controlled and
    use more feeling on slippy ground), and many people in cars gave me
    funny looks (more than usual).

    Hey, Andrew, I guess we'll meet at Ray's for rolling trials. I'm looking
    forward to meet Mr. Coker :)

    wogri

    --
    wogri - How do you brake with that thing?

    http://www.wogri.at
    http://unicycling.wogri.at
    wogri's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7490

  5. Brian MacKenzie wrote:
    > *I have
    >
    > I agree that it's incredible fun. I quit riding my bike in the snow,
    > as the Coker was much easier due to being able to plow through
    > anything in it's way.*

    I am really amazed at just how much fun it is! It's a completely
    different form of riding! The Coker is absolutely incredible in the
    snow... so if the guy who posted "Should I buy a Coker" is reading this
    thread and lives in a region where there is much snow... I highly
    recommend it - I would doubt that anything else compares to it for
    riding in the snow - which is an incredibly fun activity that every
    Coker rider should experience!

    > -Originally posted by Chrashing-
    > *Great idea Hardcore,
    > It must have been nice owning the NYC roads.
    >
    > I wasn't on a Coker, but here upstate Poughkeepsie NY, I got out in
    > the 5inch snow, 5degrees F weather on my trusty 24" nimbus Muni. I was
    > careful to wear my new 661 leg and arm protection.
    >
    > It was touch and go most of the way for me. Basically made it along
    > level pavement OK, but if there was any uphill slope at all I was off.
    > Mounting is really tough, but possible.
    >
    > I had a little slipping and would like to think there was some rooster
    > tailing going on, but I could not look.
    >
    > It was good to be back on the wheel again.
    > *

    Thanks, Chrashing… yeah it was unbelievably cool… I had the time of my
    life! I’m going back out again tonight… to ride the bike path this time
    because there are some nice inclines I want to try and slide down and
    some stairs that should be cool to try with the snow! I just got some
    leg and arm protection myself in preparation for Cleveland… but I only
    wear that stuff at places like Rays and at skateparks. I got the Roach
    leg protection and the 661 arm protection. I would guess that the Coker
    handles the snow a heck of a lot better than your trusty 24” nimbus
    Muni! Mounting can be a bit tricky… but once you get the technique down
    it becomes a snap (on the Coker at least)! I’ve learned there are
    definitely certain techniques that work best for riding in the snow. For
    example… as soon as your wheel loses traction and starts spinning…
    immediately get off the seat and stand up on your pedals - works like a
    charm every time! …except when I’m too busy turning around to check out
    my rooster tale instead of looking in front of me! It’s great that you
    took your MUni out in the snow. If you like the snow on your MUni,
    you’ll LOVE it on a Coker… cause the Coker is a true SNuni!

    > -Originally posted by wogri-
    > *We got about 4 or 5 inches of snow here in Northern Virginia, too. I
    > was riding my 24" Muni today, but I wasn't really ruling the streets,
    > it was my first touch with snow, and my tyre is really bold.
    > Nevertheless it was an interesting experience (one has to be much more
    > controlled and use more feeling on slippy ground), and many people in
    > cars gave me funny looks (more than usual).
    >
    > Hey, Andrew, I guess we'll meet at Ray's for rolling trials. I'm
    > looking forward to meet Mr. Coker
    >
    > wogri
    > *

    Great to hear you that got out and had some fun in the snow, wogri! In
    my opinion, there definitely is a whole different technique to riding in
    the snow. Some of the basic things that I do are:

    1. Change my foot position on the pedals. I position the front of my
    feet on the pedals so that I have mostly my toes on the pedals.
    2. Pay careful attention to keeping the frame upright and be smooth on
    the pedals.
    3. Stay real relaxed when slipping and sliding and push down on the
    pedals (even if the wheel spins) if necessary to maintain balance (just
    make sure to get off the seat and stand up on the pedals if the wheel
    spins).
    4. No sharp turns. Slight turns are ok at speed, but anything beyond
    that you should slow down and essentially do a pivot turn. The snow
    actually helps you do pivot turns and still stands!
    5. If your on a Coker, then don’t be afraid to use your speed and
    momentum to plow through some pretty intimidating snow piles… the Coker
    will get you through it!
    6. Be prepared not to be too distracted from all the people that lose
    their minds and yell all sorts of things when they see you slippin and
    slidin through the snow without going down! You’ll also probably run
    into a few clowns (like I did!) that feel compelled to throw snowballs
    at you to try and knock you off. Luckily for me the clowns I ran into
    had pretty poor aim.

    That’s awesome that you’ll be at Rays… It’ll be great to meet you and
    ride with you! I can’t tell you how much I’m looking forward to meeting
    you and the other members of the forum that’ll be showing up for this
    event… I know that we are all going to have the time of our lives! it’s
    going to be an EXTREMELY memorable event!