Cold Air Cough?

tumbleweed77

Aug 27, 2006
This is my first winter as a cyclist and i've been riding in the chilling southern california mornings (35-45 F) everyday. I've developed this dry cough which i'm guessing is from the cold air irriatating my lungs.... has anyone experienced this as well? i've got a dr's appt this next week in which i plan to ask but i'm just curious to see what everyone might do to either prevent it or to help ease the effects or if it's just me....... i'm wondering if hot tea and a towel might help :D (well hot tea helps, but only for about an hour after). Thanks!

tumbleweed77 said:
This is my first winter as a cyclist and i've been riding in the chilling southern california mornings (35-45 F) everyday. I've developed this dry cough which i'm guessing is from the cold air irriatating my lungs.... has anyone experienced this as well? i've got a dr's appt this next week in which i plan to ask but i'm just curious to see what everyone might do to either prevent it or to help ease the effects or if it's just me....... i'm wondering if hot tea and a towel might help :D (well hot tea helps, but only for about an hour after). Thanks!
Yes. And I there is a noticeable power decline as well. Even a bit above 45F, and especially if it's dry. Jacking it up to VO2 type effort is when there is serious dropoff, or so it seems.

tumbleweed77 said:

Since this is your first winter, it is probably just the adaptation process. A few years ago when I started getting serious about riding, I had the cough you mention. Now I don't. Sometimes it is athletic-induced asthma, but I wouldn't really worry about it unless it stays around for a loong time.

I live in Florida, and occasionally a morning race during the winter will encounter temperatures in the 50s. After time trials I and many others experience the same sort of cough you describe. So it doesn't haven't to be really cold at all.

If you scroll down in this section you'll find Asthma/RAD and cycling thread. There is a lof of usefull information. Even if you don't have asthma, it's good to know what your doc will be looking for when you visit. Make sure you get your peak flow measured for a start. I would take it seriously. If it is infact asthma, you want to control it asap.

joemw said:
Yes. And I there is a noticeable power decline as well. Even a bit above 45F, and especially if it's dry. Jacking it up to VO2 type effort is when there is serious dropoff, or so it seems.
power decline? i'm going to guess that you mean that when it's cold your muscles don't function as well... what the heck is VO2 type effort?

roadcyclist said:
If you scroll down in this section you'll find Asthma/RAD and cycling thread. There is a lof of usefull information. Even if you don't have asthma, it's good to know what your doc will be looking for when you visit. Make sure you get your peak flow measured for a start. I would take it seriously. If it is infact asthma, you want to control it asap.
well i'm pretty sure it's not asthma because i used to have it as a kid, but not anymore... i don't have any trouble breathing... just the cough... but i'll still ask just in case its something else non cycling related... and you're right, asthma does need to controlled asap

tumbleweed77 said:
well i'm pretty sure it's not asthma because i used to have it as a kid, but not anymore... i don't have any trouble breathing... just the cough... but i'll still ask just in case its something else non cycling related... and you're right, asthma does need to controlled asap
I hate to burst your bubble, but if you had asthma as a kid then there is a good chance your cough is due to asthma. You don't need to have difficulty breathing to have asthma, there are many people wandering around with mild asthma who have no idea they have it until something happens to draw their attention to the problem - like coughing in cold air or coughing with exertion.

well, no bubble bursted here.. no surprise...i see her on wednesday so i'll be asking her about the cough but also about a still painful bone bruise in my knee from a crash. haha.. i'm a small mess.

tumbleweed77 said:
well, no bubble bursted here.. no surprise...i see her on wednesday so i'll be asking her about the cough but also about a still painful bone bruise in my knee from a crash. haha.. i'm a small mess.
It can be down to you getting used to the cold - I've suffered recently from the cold cough upon return from a ride - usually in the last mile or so as I wait at traffic signals, then as I get home - usually subsides after 30 mins as the lungs warm up again to the change in air temp. If it's lasting longer than that then get checked out. My lingering cough is due to a bad 'cold' that hit my chest late November and again late December.

UK temps have been fairly mild recently, remaining well above freezing !

tumbleweed77 said:

I really try to cover my mouth in the winter or when it is cold. Other cyclists think I'm crazy sometimes, but I don't have any issues when they do. I personally like my ears covered too. I try to use "windproof" material too. There is certainly a difference between that and "wind resistant". I'm a believer in the "windproof" stuff.