cold and sore throat

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by billybob1992002, Feb 9, 2005.

1. billybob1992002

billybob1992002 New Member

it has been like 44 degrees here and i went out on tues day for a ride and it was windy and cold. i was layed in cloths and stuff and was not cold. but later that night my throat started to hurt and has been hurting since. is this from the cold drying it out or what. i have a beginers crit on sunday. i don't think i am going to ride till sunday but i am worried i will loose all i have worked for since january the 10th. what are ya'lls opinions

Tags:

2. ishiwata

ishiwata New Member

well i'm no medical expert but if you're really sick then you must have caught something.. hopefully it's not what i've had for the past week.. i wasn't able to ride since last tuesday, and i just went out for the first time yesterday.. a full week of being sick -- the worst flu i've ever had (well, in duration, but not intensity).. anyways i'm in san francisco so hopefully you're far enough away that you haven't caught it..

if you're not feeling up to the race, i'd say don't do it.. there are always more races, and there's no point going out when you can't perform at your normal level.

good luck if you do race.. let us know how it goes.

3. ganderctr

ganderctr New Member

I get that a lot in cold weather. Usually time will tell if it's something to worry about or not. During the winter, I take Vitamin C generously and usually have one zinc losenge per day to ward off anything that might be seeking to breed in my throat. By Sunday, if it is what I think it is, you should be more than fine. If you're worried about it and want to ride still, just take it nice and easy.

4. billybob1992002

i think i am just going to stay inside just to be safe. but not riding for 3 days is not going to hurt me on my race on sunday. i plan on doing weights and stuff to help.

5. dhk

dhk New Member

Just relax and get well. Not riding for 3 days should help your Sunday race a lot if you've been training hard for a month now. "Tapering" before a race is a proven practice to increase performance. Also suggest you don't do any weights this week, or at all during race season, unless you just want to do some core and light upper body work.

6. billybob1992002

ok thanks i will not do weights i guess i could catch up on homework. i have not been training super hard like 3-4 times a week 30 miles average of 16.5 and sometimes do some crit style laps in the cemetary

7. vitiris

vitiris New Member

This will sound stupid and it gets me odd looks but all winter long I wear a t-shirt wrapped round my neck (but not when I'm on the bike although I do wear a skiing pullover with high neck). I haven't had a cold to date (hope I haven't spoken too soon) but feel them lurking about waiting to strike. I also take a multi-vitamin along with my joint pills (knees not ...) ;)