Cold Chest

Psychler

Oct 11, 2006
I was out cycling the other night and, although I was generally warm enough all over, my chest got very cold at times especially when going down hill. I was wearing two layers on my torso which was fine [ I even worked up a bit of a sweat] with a good quality base layer, but my chest suffered. I've noticed Tour de France riders shoving newspapers down their shirts when going "over the top" but I don't think it's practical to carry "The Times" with me. Has anyone got any advice for me or are there any bits of kit that might help. Ta!

Psychler said:
I was out cycling the other night and, although I was generally warm enough all over, my chest got very cold at times especially when going down hill. I was wearing two layers on my torso which was fine [ I even worked up a bit of a sweat] with a good quality base layer, but my chest suffered. I've noticed Tour de France riders shoving newspapers down their shirts when going "over the top" but I don't think it's practical to carry "The Times" with me. Has anyone got any advice for me or are there any bits of kit that might help. Ta!

When it's really cold a use a strange thing that I got a few years back for winter motorcycling. It's a fleece neck tube with a fleece-backed thin neoprene bib that extends down across your chest. Can't remember the make offhand - I'll have a look later - but it works really well. If you sufer from exercise-indiced asthma (as I do in very cold weather) it really makes a difference.

Sounds good, many thanks. I'll have a look on some motorcycle gear websites.

Windstopper Are supposed to be outstanding for, erm, stopping the wind. Failing that, if the Times is a little cumbersome on the Bike try a copy of the Beano :D

Hope this helps matie!!