Cold Fingers on Ride

MBillon

Guest
Just got back from a ride this morning. It was 29 degrees, I had my Pearl Izumi
winter gloves on, and they are not cutting it! Couldn't feel my fingers by the
end of the ride, had to stick them in my armpits to warm them up when I got in.
What are some opinions as to the warmest gloves on the market today? Thanks,
Mark

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (MBillon) wrote:

> Just got back from a ride this morning. It was 29 degrees, I had my Pearl
> Izumi
> winter gloves on, and they are not cutting it! Couldn't feel my fingers by
> the
> end of the ride, had to stick them in my armpits to warm them up when I got
> in.
> What are some opinions as to the warmest gloves on the market today?
> Thanks,
> Mark

Have you tried the Lobster Mittens?

...and perhaps a glove liner.

HTH

: Just got back from a ride this morning. It was 29 degrees, I had my Pearl
Izumi
: winter gloves on, and they are not cutting it! Couldn't feel my fingers
by the
: end of the ride, had to stick them in my armpits to warm them up when I
got in.
: What are some opinions as to the warmest gloves on the market today?
Thanks,
: Mark

I haven't tried these, but the advertisements look interesting:
http://tinyurl.com/47r3x

MBillon wrote:

> Just got back from a ride this morning. It was 29 degrees, I had my Pearl Izumi
> winter gloves on, and they are not cutting it! Couldn't feel my fingers by the
> end of the ride, had to stick them in my armpits to warm them up when I got in.
> What are some opinions as to the warmest gloves on the market today? Thanks,

Just got some Pearl Izumi lobster claws last week via a Christmas
gift certificate. They seem pretty good, but hasn't really been
cold enough for a solid test of their performance compared to what
I was using before.

I think your hands will be the warmest possible with mittens instead
of gloves. Unfortunately, the LBS only had the lobster claws instead
of mittens, so that's what I'm now using.

SMH

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (MBillon) wrote:

> Just got back from a ride this morning. It was 29 degrees, I had my Pearl
> Izumi
> winter gloves on, and they are not cutting it! Couldn't feel my fingers by
> the
> end of the ride, had to stick them in my armpits to warm them up when I got
> in.
> What are some opinions as to the warmest gloves on the market today?
> Thanks,
> Mark

I think something is going on... I was out in 0~10F all this week with
simple thinsulate gloves, not fancy $$ Pearls -- which are v.nice -- and
i was fine. I go as low as the temps dive during the winter (-20F istr).

In no particular order and no particular validity (i.e, if it doesn't
apply, pls. dont' take offense)... gloves may be too small. Grip on
handlebars may need adjusting, wrist may be exposed, not riding hard
enough, not enough insulation on your core...

In general, i try to maximize bloodflow to extremeties by wearing
clothes that don't bind near my hands or feet. I insulate my torso more
than my legs or arms. wear head protection and ride fairly hard. If i'm
wearing thin gloves, my hands get chilly, but bounce back to toasty for
the rest of the ride after about 10~15 minutes (sometimes chilly can be
quite chilly). Thick gloves it doesn't happen at all.

Strive to balance heat retension w/ moisture rejection. Good luck with
that. :)

Basically i'd suggest you butch-up your entire insulation system a
notch. 29 is, for me, merely at the lower end of cool-ish.

It's all about the clothes.

..max

--
the part of <[email protected]>
was played by maxwell monningh 8-p

> Just got back from a ride this morning. It was 29 degrees, I had my Pearl
> Izumi
> winter gloves on, and they are not cutting it! Couldn't feel my fingers
> by the
> end of the ride, had to stick them in my armpits to warm them up when I
> got in.
> What are some opinions as to the warmest gloves on the market today?
> Thanks,
> Mark

Mark: You might try an external glove "liner", like the Trek "Stripp
Overmitt", which is a 100% waterproof (and windproof) external lobster-style
cover. I carry these for emergencies (heavy rain) and if it gets colder than
I expected. It seems that the trapped air between the cover and the glove
helps to insulate you from the nasty world outside. Best of all, they're
pretty cheap, at $20.

Unfortunately, most dealers don't know they exist. Part numbers ae 87374 for
the sm/med and 87375 for the lg/xlg, and they currently show in stock at all
warehouses.

Highly recommended. Saved my butt in 2000 when a freak snow/ice/hailstorm
hit Mont Ventoux during the Etape du Tour that year (one person actually
died from the cold).

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"MBillon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just got back from a ride this morning. It was 29 degrees, I had my Pearl
> Izumi
> winter gloves on, and they are not cutting it! Couldn't feel my fingers
> by the
> end of the ride, had to stick them in my armpits to warm them up when I
> got in.
> What are some opinions as to the warmest gloves on the market today?
> Thanks,
> Mark

I don't know, but I find that using glove liners makes almost any decent
gloves effective. Seems to me we go to great lengths to dress in layers on
every part of our bodies except our hands and feet, and then complain that
our hands and feet are cold.

RichC

>Just got some Pearl Izumi lobster claws last week via a Christmas
>gift certificate. They seem pretty good, but hasn't really been
>cold enough for a solid test of their performance compared to what
>I was using before.

I wanted a pair but at 65.00 locally I could not afford them. there is a
sporting goods discount store close and they have some low and high end stuff I
got some ski gloves (like mittens) for 30.00 they come with a liner. but they
were good without the liner down to about 34 degrees. far thinner too then most
gloves. my only complaint is they tend to catch on the brake lever when you lift
your hand to wrap around it. the palms are reinforced.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

I have an old pair of Specialized lobster gloves; wore them today (24 deg. F)
with two pair of glove liners underneath and hands stayed warm. But the Pearls
are better.

I'll never forget the first time I rode with lobster gloves; lived in the
crowded NJ suburbs at the time. Some wise ass in a muscle car cut me off and I
gave him the finger as he shot by. But the lobster gloves converted that
gesture to something more like the Vulcan "live long and prosper" salute. I
still laugh out loud every time I think about it.

Mike Yankee

(Address is munged to thwart spammers.
To reply, delete everything after "com".)

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 15:15:25 +0000, MBillon wrote:

> Just got back from a ride this morning. It was 29 degrees, I had my Pearl Izumi
> winter gloves on, and they are not cutting it! Couldn't feel my fingers by the
> end of the ride, had to stick them in my armpits to warm them up when I got in.
> What are some opinions as to the warmest gloves on the market today? Thanks,
> Mark

I had just about that same experience yesterday. But as the ride
progressed, my fingers did warm up. Ride harder!

But as far as the warmest gloves go, I'd avoid them. There is a
compromise between enough/too much warmth, and warmth versus dexterity.
Too-thick gloves quickly become too hot, and also make you clumsy.

Keep the Perl Izumi's and get glove liners for colder days. You can shed
the liners if your hands get overheated.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all
_`\(,_ | mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so
(_)/ (_) | that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am
nothing. [1 Corinth. 13:2]

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 18:12:28 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> Just got back from a ride this morning. It was 29 degrees, I had my Pearl
>> Izumi
>> winter gloves on, and they are not cutting it! Couldn't feel my fingers
>> by the
>> end of the ride, had to stick them in my armpits to warm them up when I
>> got in.
>> What are some opinions as to the warmest gloves on the market today?
>> Thanks,
>> Mark

>Mark: You might try an external glove "liner", like the Trek "Stripp
>Overmitt", which is a 100% waterproof (and windproof) external lobster-style
>cover. I carry these for emergencies (heavy rain) and if it gets colder than
>I expected. It seems that the trapped air between the cover and the glove
>helps to insulate you from the nasty world outside. Best of all, they're
>pretty cheap, at $20.
>
>Unfortunately, most dealers don't know they exist. Part numbers ae 87374 for
>the sm/med and 87375 for the lg/xlg, and they currently show in stock at all
>warehouses.
>
>Highly recommended. Saved my butt in 2000 when a freak snow/ice/hailstorm
>hit Mont Ventoux during the Etape du Tour that year (one person actually
>died from the cold).
>
>--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
>www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Can we get these through you, on your website, online? C'mon, put up a link
for rbm members! <g>

jj

I have TREK three fingered gloves that are good to about 20F. Below that I
wear heavy leather glove with a heavy woolen mitten inside (called "choppers
and liners" in No. WI when I grew up in the 50s. I haven't heard that term
more recently.)

news:[email protected]...

wrote:

>> Just got back from a ride this morning. It was 29 degrees, I had my Pearl
>> Izumi
>> winter gloves on, and they are not cutting it! Couldn't feel my fingers
>> by the
>> end of the ride, had to stick them in my armpits to warm them up when I
>> got in.
>> What are some opinions as to the warmest gloves on the market today?
>> Thanks,
>> Mark

>Mark: You might try an external glove "liner", like the Trek "Stripp
>Overmitt", which is a 100% waterproof (and windproof) external lobster-style
>cover. I carry these for emergencies (heavy rain) and if it gets colder than
>I expected. It seems that the trapped air between the cover and the glove
>helps to insulate you from the nasty world outside. Best of all, they're
>pretty cheap, at $20.
>
>Unfortunately, most dealers don't know they exist. Part numbers ae 87374 for
>the sm/med and 87375 for the lg/xlg, and they currently show in stock at all
>warehouses.
>
>Highly recommended. Saved my butt in 2000 when a freak snow/ice/hailstorm
>hit Mont Ventoux during the Etape du Tour that year (one person actually
>died from the cold).
>
>--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
>www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Nevermind, found 'em. Trek online store. Picture, too:

https://store.trekbikes.com/accessory_store/product_detail.jsp?product_id=6325&category_id=123

jj

[email protected] (MBillon) wrote:

>Just got back from a ride this morning. It was 29 degrees, I had my Pearl Izumi
>winter gloves on, and they are not cutting it! Couldn't feel my fingers by the
>end of the ride, had to stick them in my armpits to warm them up when I got in.
> What are some opinions as to the warmest gloves on the market today?

Although I may live in a relatively warm place (Arizona), I still get
in some cold rides (it drops to around freezing here fairly regularly
during my morning rides). I bought a pair of the Fox winter gloves,
which look like they're made out of neoprene or something similar.

Oh boy are they toasty. I've found they're SO warm that I stay
comfortable down to lower temperatures wearing less clothes. I do
find they're a little warm for anything over about 55F (13C) though.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

> Can we get these through you, on your website, online? C'mon, put up a
> link
> for rbm members! <g>
>
> jj

We're not set up for mail-order operations; we neither have the right type
of credit card account nor the organizational skills to pull it off.
However, things can always change in the future. If they did, it would
probably be using PayPal, since a PayPal "verified" account is a reasonably
certain way to protect against fraud (we got stung pretty badly a number of
years ago).

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"jj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 18:12:28 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
> <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>> Just got back from a ride this morning. It was 29 degrees, I had my
>>> Pearl
>>> Izumi
>>> winter gloves on, and they are not cutting it! Couldn't feel my fingers
>>> by the
>>> end of the ride, had to stick them in my armpits to warm them up when I
>>> got in.
>>> What are some opinions as to the warmest gloves on the market today?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Mark

>>Mark: You might try an external glove "liner", like the Trek "Stripp
>>Overmitt", which is a 100% waterproof (and windproof) external
>>lobster-style
>>cover. I carry these for emergencies (heavy rain) and if it gets colder
>>than
>>I expected. It seems that the trapped air between the cover and the glove
>>helps to insulate you from the nasty world outside. Best of all, they're
>>pretty cheap, at $20.
>>
>>Unfortunately, most dealers don't know they exist. Part numbers ae 87374
>>for
>>the sm/med and 87375 for the lg/xlg, and they currently show in stock at
>>all
>>warehouses.
>>
>>Highly recommended. Saved my butt in 2000 when a freak snow/ice/hailstorm
>>hit Mont Ventoux during the Etape du Tour that year (one person actually
>>died from the cold).
>>
>>--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
>>www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
>>

> Can we get these through you, on your website, online? C'mon, put up a
> link
> for rbm members! <g>
>
> jj

In article <[email protected]>,
jj <[email protected]> wrote:
>On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 18:12:28 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>
>>> Just got back from a ride this morning. It was 29 degrees, I had my Pearl
>>> Izumi
>>> winter gloves on, and they are not cutting it! Couldn't feel my fingers
>>> by the
>>> end of the ride, had to stick them in my armpits to warm them up when I
>>> got in.
>>> What are some opinions as to the warmest gloves on the market today?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Mark

>>Mark: You might try an external glove "liner", like the Trek "Stripp
>>Overmitt", which is a 100% waterproof (and windproof) external lobster-style
>>cover. I carry these for emergencies (heavy rain) and if it gets colder than
>>I expected. It seems that the trapped air between the cover and the glove
>>helps to insulate you from the nasty world outside. Best of all, they're
>>pretty cheap, at $20.
>>
>>Unfortunately, most dealers don't know they exist. Part numbers ae 87374 for
>>the sm/med and 87375 for the lg/xlg, and they currently show in stock at all
>>warehouses.
>>
>>Highly recommended. Saved my butt in 2000 when a freak snow/ice/hailstorm
>>hit Mont Ventoux during the Etape du Tour that year (one person actually
>>died from the cold).
>>
>>--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
>>www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

>Nevermind, found 'em. Trek online store. Picture, too:
>
>https://store.trekbikes.com/accessory_store/product_detail.jsp?product_id=6325&category_id=123
>
>jj

Nope. Read the fine print. Only avaliable through your dealer.

-Sledge

>>Nevermind, found 'em. Trek online store. Picture, too:
>>
>>https://store.trekbikes.com/accessory_store/product_detail.jsp?product_id=6325&category_id=123
>>
>>jj
>>

> Nope. Read the fine print. Only avaliable through your dealer.

Fortunately, I think there are about 1200 dealers, so it shouldn't be too
difficult to find one. The thinking (not selling them on-line) is that they
want to encourage the dealers to actually stock the product, which they
might not if they felt they were in competition with the supplier. And, as
large as mail-order is, the retail segment is still dramatically larger.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Sandor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> jj <[email protected]> wrote:
>>On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 18:12:28 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
>><[email protected]>

>>>Mark: You might try an external glove "liner", like the Trek "Stripp
>>>Overmitt", which is a 100% waterproof (and windproof) external
>>>lobster-style
>>>cover. I carry these for emergencies (heavy rain) and if it gets colder
>>>than
>>>I expected. It seems that the trapped air between the cover and the glove
>>>helps to insulate you from the nasty world outside. Best of all, they're
>>>pretty cheap, at $20.
>>>
>>>Unfortunately, most dealers don't know they exist. Part numbers ae 87374
>>>for
>>>the sm/med and 87375 for the lg/xlg, and they currently show in stock at
>>>all
>>>warehouses.
>>>
>>>Highly recommended. Saved my butt in 2000 when a freak snow/ice/hailstorm
>>>hit Mont Ventoux during the Etape du Tour that year (one person actually
>>>died from the cold).
>>>
>>>--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
>>>www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

>>Nevermind, found 'em. Trek online store. Picture, too:
>>
>>https://store.trekbikes.com/accessory_store/product_detail.jsp?product_id=6325&category_id=123
>>
>>jj
>>

> Nope. Read the fine print. Only avaliable through your dealer.
>
> -Sledge

> [email protected] (MBillon) wrote:
>
> >Just got back from a ride this morning. It was 29 degrees, I had my Pearl

Izumi
> >winter gloves on, and they are not cutting it! Couldn't feel my fingers

by the
> >end of the ride, had to stick them in my armpits to warm them up when I

got in.
> > What are some opinions as to the warmest gloves on the market today?

> Although I may live in a relatively warm place (Arizona), I still get
> in some cold rides (it drops to around freezing here fairly regularly
> during my morning rides). I bought a pair of the Fox winter gloves,
> which look like they're made out of neoprene or something similar.
>
> Oh boy are they toasty. I've found they're SO warm that I stay
> comfortable down to lower temperatures wearing less clothes. I do
> find they're a little warm for anything over about 55F (13C) though.
>
> Mark Hickey
> Habanero Cycles
> http://www.habcycles.com
> Home of the $695 ti frame

AZ is a big place and there are some very high/cold places there. i was just
in prescott riding in 10 degrees! i have some gloves by Seirus that are very
warm at 10F and they are quite thin. i can handle keys, the buttons on the
blinkies and everything else with them on. i think it's the windstopping
quality that makes them warm, like the new windjammer jackets, if you can
stop the wind your core will do the rest...unless you haven't eaten...
-alan

Steve Knight wrote:

>>Just got some Pearl Izumi lobster claws last week via a Christmas
>>gift certificate. They seem pretty good, but hasn't really been
>>cold enough for a solid test of their performance compared to what
>>I was using before.

> I wanted a pair but at 65.00 locally I could not afford them. there is a

Hmmm. They were $55 at my LBS, which is still a lot more
than I would have forked out myself. Thanks to the gift
certificate, they set me back 5 bucks.

Pretty good deal!

SMH

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 23:54:54 GMT, "Ron Wallenfang" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I have TREK three fingered gloves that are good to about 20F. Below that I
>wear heavy leather glove with a heavy woolen mitten inside

You wear the mitten inside the glove?