General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Cold smoked salmon (LOX)

Started by Phil Evans · · Last activity · 2 posts · 98 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
13 July 2007
Last activity
14 July 2007
Original author
Phil Evans
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
98
Views / 30 days
2

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have seen a few requests for smoking recipes.
    This is a recipe I have used to cold smoke salmon, it is
    directed at a Bradley smoker but if you can convert your hot
    smokers to cold smoker by the addition of some laundry drier
    hose and a satellite smoking box it is delicious.

    I have cut and paste this recipe so please excuse any format
    problems

    Best Smoked Salmon (LOX)
    From Spyguy

    After searching for various recipes for good LOX, I finally created this
    one which is a compilation of many I have heard of, tried and modified.
    Making good smoked salmon isn't a mystery or a matter of luck; it's a
    matter of patience and time. With this recipe I have been consistent with my
    results.

    This process is for cold smoking salmon (LOX) only.

    After speaking to a few people, who do this for a living I got the
    process they use but they wouldn't give up the recipe so I created my own.
    You may add any flavor you want to the wet brine. More garlic, or soy
    sauce, lemon, coriander seeds; there are no rules for flavor. You may use
    more or less brown sugar depending on your tastes, but try mine as is and
    adjust after you try it. For those who try it you won't be sorry. Please post
    your results, and feel free to share this with others but please give credit
    where it is due.
    IMPORTANT: Please read these instructions over a few times
    before you attempt to use this recipe, it will help you understand the
    process.
    I HAVE TRIED TO EMPHASIZE AND DETAIL THE CRITICAL
    STEPS AND WHERE TEMPERATURE IS IMPORTANT.

    If I overdid the details, you’ll get no apology from me. When I did it for my
    first time, I would have killed for details; details; details.

    These instructions are for an average sized fish of 10-12 lbs (before
    being filleted).
    Coho is best but I have used Atlantic with success as well. For smaller fish
    shorten the time and for bigger fish lengthen time.
    SALMON PREPARATION:
    If you are filleting whole salmon, leave skin on and remove pin
    bones (a small pair of clean needle nose pliers works best for
    removing bones that are still in the flesh). If you are buying filleted
    salmon, purchase whole fillets with skin on, and remove any
    remaining bones. Rinse if you want and pat dry (not completely
    dry). Leave fillets whole at this point with the skin on.
    BRINING: (Two-Step process)
    Step One - Dry Brine Ingredients:
    5 lbs. Kosher or canning salt
    6 lbs. Dark brown sugar
    Directions:
    1. Mix salt and sugar well, using your hands to break up the
    chunks of brown sugar. This will be used for dry brining the
    fish. You must use COARSE (non iodized) OR KOSHER
    SALT. Any left over dry mix can be place in a sealed
    container or Ziploc bags. It will keep for a long time until
    you need it again.
    2. Using a small container that is just wide and long enough
    to lay your whole fillets flat; spread an even 1/2” layer of
    the dry brine mix on the bottom (I use a Rubbermaid
    container just long enough for the fillets and wide enough
    for two side by side). Lay the first layer of fillets skin side
    down on the dry mix. Now cover fillets with more dry mix
    (1/2"😉. Place next layer of fillets on top with skin side up
    (meat to meat). Cover with 1/2" dry mix. Make sure fish is
    completely covered in the mix (that's why the size of your
    container is important so you don't waste excess mix).
    Continue to layer the fish. You can place them anyway you
    like as long as they are relatively straight and flat. This
    process will remove excess moisture from the fish and
    really firm it up.
    3. Place fish in the refrigerator for 7-8 hours.
    IMPORTANT: If you forget this part of the
    process and dry brine for too long, you will ruin
    your fish. Set a timer or maybe two of them so you
    don't forget.
    4. After the 7-8 hours have passed you will see a
    considerable amount of syrupy liquid in the bottom of the
    container (the moisture from the fish) now take it out of the
    refrigerator, and remove 1 fillet at a time and cut in half (so
    it fits the Bradley smoker) rinse the mixture off the fish
    completely. Fish will seem hard, firm and considerably
    smaller than when you started. Discard the syrupy liquid
    from the dry brine process (do not reuse).

    This next step will change the texture again.
    Step 2 - Wet Brine Ingredients:
    3.5 gal. Water
    6 cups Kosher or Coarse (non-iodine) Salt
    6 cups Brown Sugar
    1-2 cups Real Maple syrup
    1/4 cup Whole black peppercorns
    2 Cloves garlic
    Chopped fresh dill, to taste
    While Dry Brining the fish in the in the refrigerator, begin to
    prepare your wet brine.
    Directions - Prepare Wet Brine Solution:
    1. In a 5 gallon food bucket (or non-metal container large
    enough to hold your fish and brine), mix all ingredients well,
    making sure that all the salt and sugar is completely
    dissolved.
    IMPORTANT: check salinity (salt concentration)
    - a fresh raw egg (in the shell) will float in the
    mixture. If it doesn't add another 1/2 cup salt and
    mix well, then recheck to see if the egg will float. If
    it still doesn't float add another 1/2 cup salt repeat
    as needed until the egg floats. Let the brine set for
    at least 5 hours before using it.

    2.Place filets that have been dry brined, rinsed, and halved,
    into the wet brine. Cover with a plate so all fish are
    completely submerged. Brine for 7-9 hours.
    REFRIGERATION at this point is optional as
    the dry brine has pretty much "cooked the fish"
    already. I do recommend at some point near the
    middle of the wet process, you move the fillets
    around in the bucket in case some fillets are a little
    close. When they are done, they need to be
    freshened (this removes excess salt).
    Freshening Your Fillet:
    1. Remove the fillets from the brine and rinse in fresh water.
    Discard brine and rinse out your bucket (or container that
    you wet brined the fish in), making sure all spices,
    peppercorns etc are removed.

    2. Now put the fillets back in the bucket and fill with clean
    water. Let the water run into the bucket (do not use too
    much pressure or you will damage the fish) for 1/2 hour
    stirring the fish gently with your hand every 7-10 minutes.
    TASTE a small piece of the fish. If still too salty
    rinse for another 10 minutes but no more or the fish
    will begin to waterlog (swell). I do mine for 30
    minutes and consistently have excellent results.
    Drying Before Smoking:
    1. Remove fish from wet brine. Pat dry with paper towel.
    2. Using your Bradley racks (Teflon coated ones work
    best), turn the racks upside down and lay the fish on the
    racks skin side down.
    IT IS IMPORTANT to use the racks upside
    down, this way the fish will be suspended and be
    able to air dry top and bottom.
    3. Allow fish to dry for approx 1 hour.
    WENT THE FISH BECOMES A LITTLE
    STICKY on the meat side they are done and ready
    for smoke.
    4. COLD SMOKE ONLY! You may smoke from 1-3
    hours depending on your preferences and tastes with alder
    smoke.
    MAKE SURE THE HEATING ELEMENT
    (auxiliary burner) IS OFF in the Bradley Unit, or
    better yet unplugged it from the smoke generator. I
    use a Polder barbeque thermometer with the
    remote pager and have the probe hanging through
    the top vent and the pager to notify me if the temp
    gets to 75.
    WATCH THE TEMPERATURE CAREFULLY IF IT GOES
    ABOVE 80 DEGREE F YOUR FISH IS RUINED.
    5. Fill the drip bowl with ice and add a good block of ice
    between the bottom shelf and the lower plate; (even if you
    cover 2/3 of the holes in the plate, it has no effect on the
    smoke reaching the fish). As the ice melts it drips into the
    bowl (not on the smoke burner) good design by Bradley.
    Place a large aluminum pan under the drip bowl to catch
    any water will overflow from the water bowl. Doing it this
    way maintains 60-75 degrees when it’s -10 outside. When
    my pager goes off telling me it’s too warm, I know the ice
    has melted and I need to add more. You could use the
    bottom shelf and place an ice filled aluminum pan on the
    rack, but that way you lose the ability to use the bottom
    shelf. That's up to you. Just watch the temperature (do I
    need to say it again)
    With this recipe you can make the highest quality LOX you will ever eat.
    The finished color in almost RED (with COHO) due to the carmel in the
    brown sugar coloring the fish during the dry brine process. The final texture
    is like velvet and slices really well. I slice mine at approx 1/8" thick or a little
    more. Incidentally I recommend the SALMON and HAM knife available at
    IKEA for $25.00 but keep it sharp and clean.
    I promise you won't be disappointed. However labor intensive it is you
    will thank me. This is a 2 step brining process before cold smoking. I just
    smoked 60 lbs of fresh Alaska COHO fillet On Valentines day. This is my
    method. If you have any questions let me know.
    Enjoy!
    Mitch Unger

    For smaller batches Mary Veithurst provided this useful recipe for the
    wet brine.
    Makes enough for at least two small fillets.

    Wet Brine Ingredients:
    9-1/3 cup Water
    1 cup Kosher or Coarse (non-iodine) Salt
    1 cup Brown Sugar
    1/3 cup Real Maple syrup
    1 Tbsp. Whole black peppercorns
    1/2 Clove garlic
    Chopped fresh dill, to taste (substitute dry dill weed, if fresh
    dill is not available)
    Mary Veithurst comments:
    I followed spyguy’s instructions. When freshening your filets,
    because only 2 small fillets were used only freshened them for 15 –
    20 minutes. You can do this in a big pot in the kitchen sink without
    running water. Just let them soak. If you have a lot more fish then
    use the running water method. After freshening, the filets will looked
    a lot lighter in color, but this will change as they dried. Air dry for
    6-12 hours, during this time you can sprinkle on some dill if you
    like.
    “The final result was beautiful to look at with a deep red
    color. The texture was firm (not mushy) and sliced well with
    a sharp knife. The flavor was wonderful and tasted great
    with cream cheese, a few capers and some thin slices of
    red onion. Next time I’m going to increase the garlic,
    pepper and dill in the wet brine to see what kind of affect it
    has on the finished product. I also froze one of these fillets
    to see how it affects the texture/flavor. I’ve been told that
    lox freezes well. Thank you, Mitch, for your detailed
    directions and delicious recipe."

  2. "Phil Evans" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have seen a few requests for smoking recipes.
    This is a recipe I have used to cold smoke salmon, it is
    directed at a Bradley smoker but if you can convert your hot
    smokers to cold smoker by the addition of some laundry drier
    hose and a satellite smoking box it is delicious.

    I have cut and paste this recipe so please excuse any format
    problems

    Best Smoked Salmon (LOX)
    From Spyguy

    After searching for various recipes for good LOX, I finally created this
    one which is a compilation of many I have heard of, tried and modified.
    Making good smoked salmon isn't a mystery or a matter of luck; it's a
    matter of patience and time. With this recipe I have been consistent with
    my
    results.

    This process is for cold smoking salmon (LOX) only.

    After speaking to a few people, who do this for a living I got the
    process they use but they wouldn't give up the recipe so I created my own.
    You may add any flavor you want to the wet brine. More garlic, or soy
    sauce, lemon, coriander seeds; there are no rules for flavor. You may use
    more or less brown sugar depending on your tastes, but try mine as is and
    adjust after you try it. For those who try it you won't be sorry. Please
    post
    your results, and feel free to share this with others but please give
    credit
    where it is due.
    IMPORTANT: Please read these instructions over a few times
    before you attempt to use this recipe, it will help you understand the
    process.
    I HAVE TRIED TO EMPHASIZE AND DETAIL THE CRITICAL
    STEPS AND WHERE TEMPERATURE IS IMPORTANT.

    If I overdid the details, you'll get no apology from me. When I did it for
    my
    first time, I would have killed for details; details; details.

    These instructions are for an average sized fish of 10-12 lbs (before
    being filleted).
    Coho is best but I have used Atlantic with success as well. For smaller
    fish
    shorten the time and for bigger fish lengthen time.
    SALMON PREPARATION:
    If you are filleting whole salmon, leave skin on and remove pin
    bones (a small pair of clean needle nose pliers works best for
    removing bones that are still in the flesh). If you are buying filleted
    salmon, purchase whole fillets with skin on, and remove any
    remaining bones. Rinse if you want and pat dry (not completely
    dry). Leave fillets whole at this point with the skin on.
    BRINING: (Two-Step process)
    Step One - Dry Brine Ingredients:
    5 lbs. Kosher or canning salt
    6 lbs. Dark brown sugar
    Directions:
    1. Mix salt and sugar well, using your hands to break up the
    chunks of brown sugar. This will be used for dry brining the
    fish. You must use COARSE (non iodized) OR KOSHER
    SALT. Any left over dry mix can be place in a sealed
    container or Ziploc bags. It will keep for a long time until
    you need it again.
    2. Using a small container that is just wide and long enough
    to lay your whole fillets flat; spread an even 1/2" layer of
    the dry brine mix on the bottom (I use a Rubbermaid
    container just long enough for the fillets and wide enough
    for two side by side). Lay the first layer of fillets skin side
    down on the dry mix. Now cover fillets with more dry mix
    (1/2"😉. Place next layer of fillets on top with skin side up
    (meat to meat). Cover with 1/2" dry mix. Make sure fish is
    completely covered in the mix (that's why the size of your
    container is important so you don't waste excess mix).
    Continue to layer the fish. You can place them anyway you
    like as long as they are relatively straight and flat. This
    process will remove excess moisture from the fish and
    really firm it up.
    3. Place fish in the refrigerator for 7-8 hours.
    IMPORTANT: If you forget this part of the
    process and dry brine for too long, you will ruin
    your fish. Set a timer or maybe two of them so you
    don't forget.
    4. After the 7-8 hours have passed you will see a
    considerable amount of syrupy liquid in the bottom of the
    container (the moisture from the fish) now take it out of the
    refrigerator, and remove 1 fillet at a time and cut in half (so
    it fits the Bradley smoker) rinse the mixture off the fish
    completely. Fish will seem hard, firm and considerably
    smaller than when you started. Discard the syrupy liquid
    from the dry brine process (do not reuse).

    This next step will change the texture again.
    Step 2 - Wet Brine Ingredients:
    3.5 gal. Water
    6 cups Kosher or Coarse (non-iodine) Salt
    6 cups Brown Sugar
    1-2 cups Real Maple syrup
    1/4 cup Whole black peppercorns
    2 Cloves garlic
    Chopped fresh dill, to taste
    While Dry Brining the fish in the in the refrigerator, begin to
    prepare your wet brine.
    Directions - Prepare Wet Brine Solution:
    1. In a 5 gallon food bucket (or non-metal container large
    enough to hold your fish and brine), mix all ingredients well,
    making sure that all the salt and sugar is completely
    dissolved.
    IMPORTANT: check salinity (salt concentration)
    - a fresh raw egg (in the shell) will float in the
    mixture. If it doesn't add another 1/2 cup salt and
    mix well, then recheck to see if the egg will float. If
    it still doesn't float add another 1/2 cup salt repeat
    as needed until the egg floats. Let the brine set for
    at least 5 hours before using it.

    2.Place filets that have been dry brined, rinsed, and halved,
    into the wet brine. Cover with a plate so all fish are
    completely submerged. Brine for 7-9 hours.
    REFRIGERATION at this point is optional as
    the dry brine has pretty much "cooked the fish"
    already. I do recommend at some point near the
    middle of the wet process, you move the fillets
    around in the bucket in case some fillets are a little
    close. When they are done, they need to be
    freshened (this removes excess salt).
    Freshening Your Fillet:
    1. Remove the fillets from the brine and rinse in fresh water.
    Discard brine and rinse out your bucket (or container that
    you wet brined the fish in), making sure all spices,
    peppercorns etc are removed.

    2. Now put the fillets back in the bucket and fill with clean
    water. Let the water run into the bucket (do not use too
    much pressure or you will damage the fish) for 1/2 hour
    stirring the fish gently with your hand every 7-10 minutes.
    TASTE a small piece of the fish. If still too salty
    rinse for another 10 minutes but no more or the fish
    will begin to waterlog (swell). I do mine for 30
    minutes and consistently have excellent results.
    Drying Before Smoking:
    1. Remove fish from wet brine. Pat dry with paper towel.
    2. Using your Bradley racks (Teflon coated ones work
    best), turn the racks upside down and lay the fish on the
    racks skin side down.
    IT IS IMPORTANT to use the racks upside
    down, this way the fish will be suspended and be
    able to air dry top and bottom.
    3. Allow fish to dry for approx 1 hour.
    WENT THE FISH BECOMES A LITTLE
    STICKY on the meat side they are done and ready
    for smoke.
    4. COLD SMOKE ONLY! You may smoke from 1-3
    hours depending on your preferences and tastes with alder
    smoke.
    MAKE SURE THE HEATING ELEMENT
    (auxiliary burner) IS OFF in the Bradley Unit, or
    better yet unplugged it from the smoke generator. I
    use a Polder barbeque thermometer with the
    remote pager and have the probe hanging through
    the top vent and the pager to notify me if the temp
    gets to 75.
    WATCH THE TEMPERATURE CAREFULLY IF IT GOES
    ABOVE 80 DEGREE F YOUR FISH IS RUINED.
    5. Fill the drip bowl with ice and add a good block of ice
    between the bottom shelf and the lower plate; (even if you
    cover 2/3 of the holes in the plate, it has no effect on the
    smoke reaching the fish). As the ice melts it drips into the
    bowl (not on the smoke burner) good design by Bradley.
    Place a large aluminum pan under the drip bowl to catch
    any water will overflow from the water bowl. Doing it this
    way maintains 60-75 degrees when it's -10 outside. When
    my pager goes off telling me it's too warm, I know the ice
    has melted and I need to add more. You could use the
    bottom shelf and place an ice filled aluminum pan on the
    rack, but that way you lose the ability to use the bottom
    shelf. That's up to you. Just watch the temperature (do I
    need to say it again)
    With this recipe you can make the highest quality LOX you will ever eat.
    The finished color in almost RED (with COHO) due to the carmel in the
    brown sugar coloring the fish during the dry brine process. The final
    texture
    is like velvet and slices really well. I slice mine at approx 1/8" thick
    or a little
    more. Incidentally I recommend the SALMON and HAM knife available at
    IKEA for $25.00 but keep it sharp and clean.
    I promise you won't be disappointed. However labor intensive it is you
    will thank me. This is a 2 step brining process before cold smoking. I
    just
    smoked 60 lbs of fresh Alaska COHO fillet On Valentines day. This is my
    method. If you have any questions let me know.
    Enjoy!
    Mitch Unger

    For smaller batches Mary Veithurst provided this useful recipe for the
    wet brine.
    Makes enough for at least two small fillets.

    Wet Brine Ingredients:
    9-1/3 cup Water
    1 cup Kosher or Coarse (non-iodine) Salt
    1 cup Brown Sugar
    1/3 cup Real Maple syrup
    1 Tbsp. Whole black peppercorns
    1/2 Clove garlic
    Chopped fresh dill, to taste (substitute dry dill weed, if fresh
    dill is not available)
    Mary Veithurst comments:
    I followed spyguy's instructions. When freshening your filets,
    because only 2 small fillets were used only freshened them for 15 -
    20 minutes. You can do this in a big pot in the kitchen sink without
    running water. Just let them soak. If you have a lot more fish then
    use the running water method. After freshening, the filets will looked
    a lot lighter in color, but this will change as they dried. Air dry for
    6-12 hours, during this time you can sprinkle on some dill if you
    like.
    "The final result was beautiful to look at with a deep red
    color. The texture was firm (not mushy) and sliced well with
    a sharp knife. The flavor was wonderful and tasted great
    with cream cheese, a few capers and some thin slices of
    red onion. Next time I'm going to increase the garlic,
    pepper and dill in the wet brine to see what kind of affect it
    has on the finished product. I also froze one of these fillets
    to see how it affects the texture/flavor. I've been told that
    lox freezes well. Thank you, Mitch, for your detailed
    directions and delicious recipe."


    Boy, that's a lot of work. Have you tried this with dry smoking only, as
    though
    you were making gravlax? I make gravlax quite often, usually with dill, and
    rarely
    with a bit of Morton's tenderquick in addition to the salt and sugar.
    Everytime I've tried to smoke
    it, I get a hard mass that tastes OK, but isn't remotely what you're trying
    to create. I was talking to a Norwegian lady in a deli recently, and she
    does the above, and adds liquid smoke! Horrors.
    I suspect the Bradley is one of very few smokers that can get this low a
    temp. My Luhrs Jensen and
    my Meco won't, no matter what I do.
    Thanks for the post. I'm envious. 50lb of smoked salmon!!!

    Afterthought: I frequently make smoked salmon souffle. It's a wonderful
    dish. The cold smoked salmon lends a flavor to the dish that plain old
    salmon doesn't. It's very easy once you get it down. As I said in another
    post, I have it down to where it's all made in the microwave, until the
    final bake in the oven. For the heart healthy it can be done with a very
    small amount of egg yolk without sacrificing anything.

    Kent

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.