Cold sore coming back

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Bianca Blacksto, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I hope this is the appropriate group to post this in. I tried my best to look for an appropriate
    topic and this is the closest I could come up with.

    Around this time last year, the area around my mouth --- specifically, between underneath my lower
    lip and above my chin --- got really red. My skin felt hot, itchy, and generally just irritable.
    This went on for about a week before I finally went to the student health center on

    words, a cold sore. The guy gave me some kind of skin cream, although I don't think that helped much
    because the cold sore/rash/whatever it was sorta just went away on it's own after a while.

    Well, as if on schedule, I think the sore is coming back. I'm not sure if this is necessarily a
    yearly thing though, but it was this time last year that this happened. (The guy at the health
    center also said that it could be stress-related.) Also, I've started a new regiment with my
    face. Before, I just used to haphazardly clean it with soap every now and then. (Must be a guy
    thing...LOL.) But now, I've started using St. Ives exfoliating cleansing cloths, astringent, and
    a moisturizing lotion. And I can't help but think that this might have led to the return of my
    cold sore?

    My question is, is the sore curable, or will it just keep popping up like this? Also, what kind of
    medication (if any) should I get for it? I have since graduated college, so I can't go to the
    health center anymore. I'm hoping there's something I can get over-the-counter at Walgreens or
    Safeway, at least.

    Thanks in advance.

    Tags:

  2. Bianca Blackstone wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I hope this is the appropriate group to post this in. I tried my best to look for an appropriate
    > topic and this is the closest I could come up with.
    >
    > Around this time last year, the area around my mouth --- specifically, between underneath my lower
    > lip and above my chin --- got really red. My skin felt hot, itchy, and generally just irritable.
    > This went on for about a week before I finally went to the student health center on

    > words, a cold sore. The guy gave me some kind of skin cream, although I don't think that helped
    > much because the cold sore/rash/whatever it was sorta just went away on it's own after a while.
    >
    > Well, as if on schedule, I think the sore is coming back. I'm not sure if this is necessarily a
    > yearly thing though, but it was this time last year that this happened. (The guy at the health
    > center also said that it could be stress-related.) Also, I've started a new regiment with my
    > face. Before, I just used to haphazardly clean it with soap every now and then. (Must be a guy
    > thing...LOL.) But now, I've started using St. Ives exfoliating cleansing cloths, astringent, and
    > a moisturizing lotion. And I can't help but think that this might have led to the return of my
    > cold sore?
    >
    > My question is, is the sore curable, or will it just keep popping up like this? Also, what kind of
    > medication (if any) should I get for it? I have since graduated college, so I can't go to the
    > health center anymore. I'm hoping there's something I can get over-the-counter at Walgreens or
    > Safeway, at least.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    The herpes virus tends to reside in nerves. Under stress it will flare up and cause
    eruptions. There is no way to cure the infections, but keeping yourself in good health will
    keep the flareups to a minimum. There are prescription medications that will decrease the
    severity and duration of flareups. BTW, most think that the distinction between type A and B
    herpes is not important; certainly not in terms of determining how one was infected.

    Take care not to touch the blisters or sores--you may innoculate yourself or others.

    Steve

  3. Anon

    Anon Guest

    On 2004-02-19 22:37:27 -0500, [email protected] (Bianca Blackstone) said:

    > Around this time last year, the area around my mouth --- specifically, between underneath my lower
    > lip and above my chin --- got really red. My skin felt hot, itchy, and generally just irritable.
    > This went on for about a week before I finally went to the student health center on

    > words, a cold sore. The guy gave me some kind of skin cream, although I don't think that helped
    > much because the cold sore/rash/whatever it was sorta just went away on it's own after a while.

    The best topical agent for HSV is Denavir, but you have to start using it as soon as you feel the
    tingling sensation. Cold sore outbreaks can occur any time your immunity is "off the job", e.g.,
    during an acute illness, under stress, if you're not generally taking good care of yourself and let
    yourself get "run down", etc. They're common, they're incurable, they're contagious (although not
    highly), and they're more annoying than dangerous. You don't *have* to treat them at all, as they
    will resolve spontaneously in time. However, if topical agents don't work, see your doctor about an
    oral medication for episodic treatment.