Cold Toes

dannyfrankszzz

New Member
Mar 8, 2003
Obviously, during the colder winter months, cyclists experience the problem of cold toes/feet.

Can anyone recommend a problem around this problem?

I'm sure I can't be the only one with this ailment.

I've tried several things such as extra socks, plastic bags and insulating foam (which only caused my feet to sweat more quickly, which in turn made my feet colder because the cold air would cool the sweat around the toes).

"dannyfrankszzz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Obviously, during the colder winter months, cyclists experience the problem of cold toes/feet.
>
> Can anyone recommend a problem around this problem?
>
> I'm sure I can't be the only one with this ailment.
>
> I've tried several things such as extra socks, plastic bags and insulating foam (which only caused
> my feet to sweat more quickly, which in turn made my feet colder because the cold air would cool
> the sweat around the toes).

I have a similar issue. Two pairs of socks usually does the trick but on really cold days you can
only solve this with a decent pair of shoes and some decent overshoes. Are you using decent
cycling shoes?

"dannyfrankszzz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Obviously, during the colder winter months, cyclists experience the problem of cold toes/feet.
>
> Can anyone recommend a problem around this problem?

Since I bought some Shimano W100 boots a few years ago I have ceased to suffer from cold toes, off
road or on and at sub-zero temperatures. I made sure they were big enough to allow thick socks to be
worn inside them. They are fairly water tight but remain warm even when wet inside from sweat or
water ingress. About 70 squids, money well spent!

Pete

dannyfrankszzz wrote:
> I've tried several things such as extra socks, plastic bags and insulating foam (which only caused
> my feet to sweat more quickly, which in turn made my feet colder because the cold air would cool
> the sweat around the toes).

Better shoes or overshoes will stop most of the cold air getting to your feet. Duct tape on shoes
also helps.

Wear "liner" or thin socks as a base layer that will dry quickly and wick away sweat. Then add
thicker socks. Sealskinz MidLight waterproof socks work for me and won't be a sweaty as
plastic bags!

--
~PB FA: 62cm Ti frame: http://tinyurl.com/6stt

"dannyfrankszzz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Obviously, during the colder winter months, cyclists experience the problem of cold toes/feet.
>
> Can anyone recommend a problem around this problem?
>
> I'm sure I can't be the only one with this ailment.
>
> I've tried several things such as extra socks, plastic bags and insulating foam (which only caused
> my feet to sweat more quickly, which in turn made my feet colder because the cold air would cool
> the sweat around the toes).

Not so much a solution, but the worst thing to induce cold feet is shoes that fit too snug! Buy a
half-size too big for winter, works wonders!

In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard of
dannyfrankszzz <[email protected]> wrote:
> Obviously, during the colder winter months, cyclists experience the problem of cold toes/feet.
>
> Can anyone recommend a problem around this problem?

Sandals.

No sweat, so the feet feel better at any time of year.

--
Wear your paunch with pride!

I use 3 pairs of socks - a very thin pair which wick the damp away, then a thicker pair, then a
slightly thicker pair on top. That usually does the trick. I find, though, that if my toes (and
fingers) are cold, it's usually because I'm losing too much heat elsewhere, so an extra jersey can
help, or bibtights (no, only kidding, I don't own any, honest).

--

Martin Bulmer "Mixless Foot Persuasion"

Try some Lucifers from www.groundeffect.co.nz

> Not so much a solution, but the worst thing to induce cold feet is shoes that fit too snug! Buy a
> half-size too big for winter, works wonders!

I've come to the same conclusion after trying everything: thermal socks, multiple pairs,
sealskins etc.etc.

John

On Sun, 9 Mar 2003 09:18:07 -0000, Tony Raven scrawled: ) Even worse than URLs with no hint are URLs
that do not go to the relevant ) page but leave you to rummage through the site looking for the
information.

This soup is too hot, and this soup is too cold. Where o where is the just-right soup? In the mean
time I had a quick Google:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22cold+feet%22+cycling+socks&sourceid=opera&num=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

There's stuff at http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread/t-6506.html in the cycling forums, where
they appear to have had this discussion before us. Also I see half a dozen cycling/socky adverts on
the results page.

J-P
--
"Help, you guys! **** ****** is grabbing my BALLS!"