Cold Water VS Hot Water in your bottle

Red2000SS said:
You also said
"Sudden immersion in cold water can induce rapid, uncontrolled breathing, cardiac arrest ..." blah blah blah read some damn medical journals if you think I'm retarded.

I don't think the medical journals were talking about drinking cold water while cycling. I have no doubt that sudden immersion in cold water - as in someone was walking on a frozen lake and fell through the ice could result in rapid uncontrolled breathing and even cardiac arrest, but you phrased it in terms of drinking cold water from a water bottle while cycling - two VERY different scenarios.
I had a friend who came in from a day's work on a hot afternoon, grabbed a cold beer from the fridge, and when he drank a mouthful, fell over unconscious. Apparently, IIRC, the water hit his vagus nerve, that runs right next to the oesophagus, and the shock knocked his heart, or his lungs. The explanation is old in my mind, but the situation did happen to a fit 30-something guy.

OldNickToo said:
I had a friend who came in from a day's work on a hot afternoon, grabbed a cold beer from the fridge, and when he drank a mouthful, fell over unconscious. Apparently, IIRC, the water hit his vagus nerve, that runs right next to the oesophagus, and the shock knocked his heart, or his lungs. The explanation is old in my mind, but the situation did happen to a fit 30-something guy.
Finally. I knew I wasn't making that up.bI've heard it before, too, several times.

Where I live and ride it mostly doesn't matter what temperature the water is when it goes into the bottle. Within minutes cold water is warm.

I only know of one rider who uses an insulated bottle. I use the cheapest ones I can find because I like to replace them often as they get yucky after a while even with much cleaning. Water that is the same temperature as the air is easier to drink fast.

I remember hearing once that drinking ice water can give you gas. I know that isn't true for me, but maybe it is true for someone else. There is a lot of strange information out there, and it changes from one day to the next. What did they say yesterday about aspertame? Originally they said it would give you cancer, and now they say it won't. I don't think anyone knows what they are talking about, ever...they just like the sound of their own voices.

OldNickToo said:

When people start telling me that cold beer is bad for you....well, thems fightin words.
I guess I will just take the risk, and several thousand beers later. No problem!
I do agree that water can be dangerous,but beer,no way.

Hehe! It was the cold, not the beer.

His wife drank the rest of the beer and was a lot less worried about him after that....

jhuskey said:
When people start telling me that cold beer is bad for you....well, thems fightin words.
I guess I will just take the risk, and several thousand beers later. No problem!
I do agree that water can be dangerous,but beer,no way.

That does it, I am switching form hot coffee in my water bottles, to cold beer! Cold beer will cool you down and has the additional benefit that it is LOADED with carbohydrates. Glad to see we have put this issue to rest...LOL :)

Hahaha...I have a friend that really wanted to fill up our camelbaks with beer and go riding one day in the summer...it sounded like fun, but 2L of beer on a warm day and no water is an easy wat to pass out. That's not the real issue, though. The real issue there of course, is that the beer would warm up, spoiling its taste! And the only thing worse than warm beer is warm American beer!! hehehe. :p Them's might be fighting words lol...But only Kokanee is good, Molson is bad.

OldNickToo said:
sounds like your friend had an epileptic seisure. exhaustion was more likely the cause. google vagus nerve.

bluecann said:
sounds like your friend had an epileptic seisure. exhaustion was more likely the cause. google vagus nerve.
I did. I found "vagal atrial fibrilation" mentioned a lot. Drinking very cold water can slow the heart dramatically. It can, according to one site I read also bring on VAF. shrug...dunno

OldNickToo said:
I did. I found "vagal atrial fibrilation" mentioned a lot. Drinking very cold water can slow the heart dramatically. It can, according to one site I read also bring on VAF. shrug...dunno
Wow that's starting to sound sort of like the argument I used in my first post. I wish Synpax were here to see this.

K50 said:
Wow that's starting to sound sort of like the argument I used in my first post. I wish Synpax were here to see this.
Well, I hope so! <G> It was because I remembered what happened to the guy I knew that I weighed into the argument.

K50 said:
I have to weigh in here. Aside from the bitter personal attacks from one writer to another, there has been some statements made that should be addressed and none yet have had any scientific or medical basis. I’ve personally done searches on Pub Med and Scifinder Scholar (two of the best science and medical search engines out there) on this topic and found nothing substantial on this topic as it pertains to a healthy adult during or after exertion.

If you're talking about atrial fibrillation being induced by drinking cold water (even ice) you're talking about 1-3% of the population being susceptible to such a condition. I think almost always, in those cases people experience premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) for a pre-existing condition and cold water (along with a hundred other stimuli) may occasionally induce PVCs. It's exceptionally rare! If you're talking about submergence into ice water, that can in fact lead to PVCs in a healthy person under the right circumstances but still not in every case and generally not immediately. But you’re talking about the difference between the heat capacity of 120mL (4 oz) and 56L (15 gal) of water. The swig of water someone takes can only cool down a small amount of tissue before it reaches body temperature. Most of the benefit is psychological because the water warms up so fast in the body. The same is true for people drinking warm water. While drinking hot water might make you sweat more on a warm day, and in turn make you feel cooler because you’re sweating more, the effect is very negligible and again mostly psycological.

You’re correct in the fact that the cold water will absorb heat from the stomach tissue and esophagus. However, heat is not energy it’s a form of entropy, so it’s a byproduct of energy spent driving the muscular contractions throughout the body and the sun beating down on you. The distinction is only necessary so a novice athlete doesn’t think they’re burning calories trying to stay cool. That being said, as mammals our bodies operate best within a small range of temperatures, so the heat within the body must be regulated to make the body operate correctly. And yes, the heart is one of the most susceptible organs to deviations from this temperature range so in cases of heat exhaustion and hypothermia the first critical signs are generally observed in the heart.

If you’re body temperature is way above normal because of heat exhaustion most hospitals will first give you an IV of chilled saline solution, pack you with ice, or submerge you in an ice bath (or just cold water) to drop your body temperature. I don’t think we’re talking about being that far gone though. If you’re to that point you should just drink whatever you’ve got on hand so you can keep sweating and call an ambulance before you pass out.

Another point is that the temperature of the water consumed should not affect the amount you’re sweating or your electrolyte balance. As I mentioned before, the water you’re drinking doesn’t have enough heat capacity to significantly drop your body temperature (unless you’re talking about chugging a gallon of ice). If you buy an intro to physics textbook you can do a pretty simple calculation of how much water you need to drink to absorb enough heat to drop your body temperature by just 2 degrees. It’s over a gallon of water! If you do that you need to worry about a lot of other complications.

However, the first post was right in that it said “So the moral here is....Water temperature is not THAT important.” I would take that further and say water temperature doesn’t matter at all (unless it’s too hot for you to pallet). Personally I will freeze a bottle of electrolyte drink (so it’s well below the freezing point of water) before a long, hot ride and drink that until it melts away in the first couple of hours. The main thing is to drink and drink often when it’s hot. If you have a heart attack on the bike I would dare say it had nothing to do with the temperature of the water you drank.

This isn’t a bad topic to bring up though, since I’ve seen people suggest similar things on other forums. The amount of misinformation is abundant out there so don’t trust everything you read on websites or in different forums. Remember, there’s no peer review for what gets posted to the web.

Oh and beer in a camel back… bad idea.

First of all, just about everyone on here has WAY too much to say about EVERYTHING. Secondly, I just read the 1st post about 3 times and am still looking for anything that seems like it might be close to physics.

@ BtonRider. It's good to hear something more concrete. That was far more useful information than anything else in here, thanks for the info

SBSpartan said:
First of all, just about everyone on here has WAY too much to say about EVERYTHING. Secondly, I just read the 1st post about 3 times and am still looking for anything that seems like it might be close to physics.
"Heat capacity is a measureable physical quantity that characterizes the ability of a body to store heat as it changes in temperature. It is defined as the rate of change of temperature as heat is added to a body at the given conditions and state of the body (foremost its temperature)." Thus, determining the ability of water to cool you down is a physics problem, even if the original post never used the word "physics".

BtonRider said:
"Heat capacity is a measureable physical quantity that characterizes the ability of a body to store heat as it changes in temperature. It is defined as the rate of change of temperature as heat is added to a body at the given conditions and state of the body (foremost its temperature)." Thus, determining the ability of water to cool you down is a physics problem, even if the original post never used the word "physics".
You make a good point even though the original post did in fact say, "physics".

As for people claiming, "personal attacks" I think they need to relax. I have never seen a group of people so damn serious in my life.

Also, if it hurts that I point out that a lot of posters have a LOT to say, well I think you should look at some of the threads and maybe you will realize that some people love to write a book about a topic.

OldNickToo said:
bit of a put down
Oh, sorry man, I didn't mean that no one else has useful input, I just meant that BtonRider has far more scientific knowledge than most of us. He summed it up very well. :)