Cold Weather Attire ?

zooba72

Dec 17, 2014
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post and I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum... Let me know if this belongs somewhere else and I'll repost. I'm a recreational cycler and wanted to extend the season a bit. I'm located in Long Island, NY and the daytime temperatures ordinarily fluctuate between 20 to 40 degrees Fahrenheit. I was out the other day wearing shorts and a long sleeve short over a short sleeve shirt and Tevas ... Temperatures were around 40 degrees and it was a bit chilly ... I eventually warmed up, but was hoping to find some better wears for cold weather riding. Can someone provide some suggestions ... Again, I'm definitely recreational, not training for anything, etc... Thank you

OK, I'm really NOT the guy to respond to this - I have a medical condition that leaves me cold at the best of times, I work out in 80 degree plus heat in 2 shirts and a fleece hoodie. You should see me this time of year at my gym at my group fitness class - usually two hoodies on top of two shirts and shorts, on top of a compression shirt and compression shorts or compression long pants, and generally 2 pairs of socks. As soon as I start to get warm and sweat, I usually break out in chills.

When I ride in temps under 40, I really layer up - thermal base layer, 2-3 shirts, bike shorts, long bike pants, hoodie (or two), two pairs of socks, gloves, coat of varying thickness, hat under my helmet. Much below 25, it's full out winter gear including snow pants, and Columbia heated coat, boots, and gloves. Obviously, it keeps me warm, and believe it or not, I don't end up TOO drenched in sweat, or if I am, I'm ok as long as I keep moving - wet and cold is the real problem.

That's me, that's extreme. But the point is - layering is your friend. Invest in some kind of good thermal baselayer made specifically for workouts - not just some random long-johns. I like Under Armour's Base Layer 4.0 - seems to be the warmest of the various kinds I've tried.

Hard to say what exactly will work for you, but I'll say this - if possible, start with more layers, and remove the excess if you get too hot. I usually wear a backpack, so I have a place to put the extra clothes if I have to shed a layer.

One of these days when I'm about to go out in full Arctic survival mode, I'll lay out everything I'm gonna wear and take a picture, you guys will probably say "Holy ****, is that for real"????
big-smile.png

Thanks for the responses ... I took a chance and bought some cold weather gear off Amazon. I'm relying on the reviews. Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes.

4ucycling fleeced Cycling Wind Pants Tights for Winter Cold
Pearl Izumi Men's Select Thermal Jersey

Layers of clothing is the way to go.

Just add whatever extra layers of clothing that you need to keep you warm.

A common mistake is to wear too many layers leading to too much sweating and perspiring. So you need to find a happy medium which allows you to stay warm but which doesn't cause you to sweat too much.