Cold weather clothing options

matseski

Sep 23, 2010
I am new to road cycling and am in need of some more appropriate clothing. I just got my first road bike last week and have put on about 150miles so far. Since it is mid October and in Pennsylvania high temperatures are already hovering below 50, I am focusing on something for the fall/winter. I have been scanning various online sites for different tights, but there are a few options which I would like some opinions on.

full length vs 3/4 length?
maybe 3/4 and leg warmers?
maybe even shorts with leg warmers?

bibs or no bibs?
I am thinking bibs are the way to go, if for nothing else than it would be one less thing to worry about while riding.

Obviously I want something that will improve my comfort while sitting, be wind resistant, keep me the proper temperature, and will stay in place. These will be used primarily for distance and interval training.

I would like to stay under $150 total for pants for the fall/winter.

I am primarily an alpine ski racer, so I have a lot of form fitting options for my upper body and have a few pairs of CW-X 3/4 insulator tights.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I know what products are avalible, I am just looking for some opinions as to what is the best/most flexible combination of products to fit my needs in my budget. I would love to be able to have short, 3/4 length, full length, and full length with extra insulation/wind protection, but that is out of my budget. Does anyone have any thoughts as to how I can cover my bases with the least discomfort?

I am currently leaning toward the full length tights and then save up some money so I can get shorts and knee warmers in the spring, but I do not know if I would find the full length tights too warm in 50*F weather.

Any thoughts?

Originally Posted by matseski .

I know what products are avalible, I am just looking for some opinions as to what is the best/most flexible combination of products to fit my needs in my budget. I would love to be able to have short, 3/4 length, full length, and full length with extra insulation/wind protection, but that is out of my budget. Does anyone have any thoughts as to how I can cover my bases with the least discomfort?

I am currently leaning toward the full length tights and then save up some money so I can get shorts and knee warmers in the spring, but I do not know if I would find the full length tights too warm in 50*F weather.

Any thoughts?
Full lenght tights are the way to go. They will be fine at 50 and at 30. I ride all winter in New England and use full lenght tights. Below 30 I double up and wear two pairs of tights. I sometimes even use snow board pants that I found in my sons closet after he got married. This time of year around 50 I go with a long sleeve jersey on top of a short sleeve jersey. If it warms up enough I remove the top layer and keep going. I do the same with the tights. I only buy tights without padding and wear shorts underneath if it warms up I remove the tights. These options have been quite comfortable to me. When riding in the cold months layering is the trick.

Agree with full-length tights, and the concept of layering in general. Arm-warmers are nice, too, when it starts out cold and then you heat up. (When I was riding a lot in the cold), I used single-layer jacket that I could take off and stash in my jersey pocket. However, I got tired of the multi-layer stuffed sausage feeling when I had to dress for the real cold. So you may want to consider a cycling jacket with soem insulation and wind protection. That's what I was wanting at the time. Granted, I didn't have state-of-the-art stuff, so it was more bulky than it had to be. (This is in the past tense as I've just returned to cycling and have yet to ride in cold weather. So I'll soon rediscover this problem for myself.)

50 F isn't that cold but it will get colder so if you plan to ride below that temperature go for tights (unpadded) as the others have said. If that's your temperature limit though knee warmers will do fine.

I have two vests that I use as the temperature drops (one is just a shell to act as a windbreaker and the other is the same except it has some insulation in it).and eventually I switch to a cycling jacket as the temperature falls further. Depending on the temperature I will use arm warmers, a long sleeve cycling shirt, long underwear (top only) and a t-shirt (if it's really cold).

I stop riding once snow and ice are on the roads and the temperature gets down to below freezing but I know others who ride all winter long - provided the road conditions are good.

Don't forget booties to keep your feet a bit warmer, gloves and a head covering that will fit under your helmet to keep your noggin toasty.

Note that upper body cycling clothes are cut differently to keep your back covered when you lean forward - your alpine clothes might not quite do the job.

Agree with Yojimbo - 50*s still pretty warm on the bike if you're working with any intensity. Like you, I spend winters skiing, so 30* is mentally quite comfortable while exercising. When skiing, a forecast of 30* and sunny means I wear a tight baselayer (LS top), training shorts, and a windstopper vest. I personally find dressing for "mid-activity" works best for me and take that approach with skiing and biking. I prefer to be chilled rather than overheated, so I "soldier through" early morning and target 1-2 hours in for comfort.

Wind and moisture control are critical for me - sunny and no breeze at 35* is brisk but comfortable. I've started two longer rides (100miles and 65 miles) in the past 2 weeks at 34*-38* with mid-ride temps of 50 and sunny predicted. Started both of those rides with shorts, a compression sleeveless base layer with ss jersey over and was fine. Also had windstopper arm warmers in my pocket just in case, but didn't need them. Fingers and toes are generally a little cold to tingly for an hour or so, but as the temp climbs above 40 and I'm cranking on the pedals all is good. If mid-ride conditions are expected to be in the low-mid 40s with little or no sun, then I wear an LS baselayer (ski top) under my ss jersey. In the 30*s and no sun or damp/windy conditions I have a sleeveless insulated jersey that I switch to over the LS base layer. Low 30*s and below I wear a full length compression baselayer (from skiing) under my bike shorts and start protecting my feet from cold with windstopper socks or winter cycling shoes. I purchased a Craft compression sleeveless top with a windstopper front panel for use below 30, but I have yet to wear it when I didn't soak my midsection with sweat. Similarly I have a Gore Oxygen jacket for below 30* riding and don't stay dry on the inside with that ether - too warm. Vests - windstopper and/or insulated - work best for me to keep my core warm and allow excess heat/moisture to escape. I have a couple of next-2-skin Mountain Hardwear Transition long sleeve zip tops from skiing that have windstopper panels in the sleeves and chest. They fit snug. Those with an insulated vest are what I have worn to ride in the upper teens to 20*s. Again, protecting large areas of skin from contact with cold wind or drizzle is all I really need if riding at a relatively high intensity level. My challenge has been to block wind/drizzle and not condense perspiration from the inside. I'm a weenie and try not to ride in outright rain. Snow's cool, but haven't done that since I was a kid.

By the time ski season is rolling (around mid-Nov) my biking ends. Too dark in the eves and skiing on the w/e, so I haven't biked below mid-teens. Not sure what changes I would have to make below that temp, but up to there my ski base layers have worked well. YMMV, but hope that gives you something to work with.

12" of snow at Killington Friday ... woohoo!

I know that my skiing clothing is not ideal, but given the variety of pieces that I have and my limited budget, I think it will be good enough for now. Likewise, being a ski racer, I am used to competing in the cold while being cold...cold toes, cold fingers do not bother me, but I hate doing any intensive training when the wind chill is more of a factor than the temp. While skiing, I just wear baselayers and and a shell.

That said, I have enough base layer options to keep me comfortable in any temperature down to about -20*F, so I am looking for the cycling equivalent of a shell to keep the wind off of my skin. Even just riding last night, once the sun set and we were going downhill at about 50mph, my body was shivering at the bottom despite only being in the 40s with an intense climb right before. (wore compression shorts and a tight fitting synthetic t-shirt). I do not need the tights to keep me very warm, just keep the wind off of me so either my body can just produce heat or if its really cold I can add a base layer.

Being on the ski team at my college, we get a discount to backcountry.com and its affiliated sites, so I have been looking at realcyclist.com. There I found the Endura Thermolite Pro Biblong and Hincapie Sportwear Arenberg Bib. With my discount both of them will give me enough room i my budget to get a better pair of gloves, a hat for under my helmet, and some toe covers if that becomes a problem. Does anyone have any experience with either of these tights or can suggest a different product in the $130-$150 range?

Thanks

The Gore Oxygen Jacket (http://www.realcyclist.com/roadbike/search.html?mv_session_id=CVjZezNE&aff=1&q=gore+oxygen) is the equivalent of a ski shell. Personally I find that it traps too much moisture and I don't wear it much unless conditions are really raw - cold damp windy.

I ended up going back to ski base layers for cold days and beating raw windy days with baselayers that incorporate Gore Windstopper (or similar, but Gore next2skin works well). Then all I need is additional core protection when temps drop - which I usually get by wearing an insulated sleeveless jersey or cycling vest over the windproof base layer. Kind of like the Gore Thermo Jersey, but sleeveless. I bought some Hincapie bib tights that were 2008 version (I think) and the windstopper panels were stiff, not form-fitting, so I returned them. I think a material change was made in 2009 and is more of a softshell windstopper. Don't remember what the model was. Based on my experience with standard base layers last fall, I didn't bother to hunt down another cold weather tight. Not a bad thing to have, so eventually I will buy a pair.

Compression or tight fitting base layers with windstopper are not inexpensive and a little hard to find at the LBS (lots of options online), but it is what works best for me. Keeps what I have to wear over it to a minimum. More than likely you're just going to have to experiement to find what works best for you in various conditions. The safe bet is probably to start off with the traditional cold wear items like the bib tights you're looking at and a cycling shell. If that works, you're set and if you need to lighten it up a bit until the temps really drop, then you can weave in your ski base layers or leg/arm warmers as the conditions warrant.

Good luck!

If anyone knows of any good insulated cycling shoes for under a hundred please post a link. All in all layering has always kept my body warm when out riding but I have never been able to solve the frozen foot issue. I use booties and wool socks but my feet still get cold. I ordered a pair of diadora chilli shoes from nashbar in my size but they did not fit. They were discontinued so they could not supply any larger shoes.

Originally Posted by davereo .

If anyone knows of any good insulated cycling shoes for under a hundred please post a link. All in all layering has always kept my body warm when out riding but I have never been able to solve the frozen foot issue. I use booties and wool socks but my feet still get cold. I ordered a pair of diadora chilli shoes from nashbar in my size but they did not fit. They were discontinued so they could not supply any larger shoes.

That might be bad.

Provided it's dry, for temps around low 40s to 50 (~6 to 11C), I find that knee warmers and booties with 'standard' bibs, but a lot of tell me I don't seem to feel the cold like others. I suggest the cheaper of trying knee warmers first.

I've found that I (unfortunately, for some smashfests) can't have my shoes as tight on cold nights, even with booties. In other words, I reckon it's not so much a case of getting extra layers, but more about not having your toes jammed in there. In other other words, if you keep adding layers, or tightening the fit with thick socks, you could be making it worse, becausen circulation is reduced. So, what I do is actually wear slightly thinner socks with booties, and don't do my straps up quite so tight, so there's more circulation down there. In fact, on nights where I'm just doing a <2hr ride, with no 'competition', I wear my old, looser shoes, so my toes have some riggle room

If anyone knows of any good insulated cycling shoes for under a hundred please post a link. All in all layering has always kept my body warm when out riding but I have never been able to solve the frozen foot issue. I use booties and wool socks but my feet still get cold. I ordered a pair of diadora chilli shoes from nashbar in my size but they did not fit. They were discontinued so they could not supply any larger shoes.t

..layering has always kept my body warm when out riding but I have never been able to solve the frozen foot issue.
Many year-round commuters use flatties during winters, to break the cold bridge caused by the cleats. Others claim good results by using wide enough shoes that have room for insoles.
The only thing that does the trick for me though, is electrically heated soles. There are at least 4 brands commercially available, and DIY solutions too, for those on an even tighter budget.

Originally Posted by dabac .

Many year-round commuters use flatties during winters, to break the cold bridge caused by the cleats. Others claim good results by using wide enough shoes that have room for insoles.
The only thing that does the trick for me though, is electrically heated soles. There are at least 4 brands commercially available, and DIY solutions too, for those on an even tighter budget.

Do any of you use chemical hand warmers? I never have, but think I will give them a try (both for hands and shoes). Do you know of any that are particularly good?