Cold weather clothing

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Zebu, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Zebu

    Zebu Guest

    Where do you get cold weather clothing online? Any good sites?

    I have been riding in shorts with a ton of layers since most of my clothing is for warmer weather
    but it's been getting cooler out with highs in the 30's to low 40's and today 8-10" of snow is
    expected. I need to equip myself a little better if I want to continue to ride.

    Maybe I can convince Santa to get me some stuff! :)

    Zebu

    Tags:

  2. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "Zebu" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Where do you get cold weather clothing online? Any good sites?

    Always keep your eyes open for end of the season sales and closeouts for winter gear from online
    sites and your lbs.

    > I have been riding in shorts with a ton of layers since most of my
    clothing
    > is for warmer weather but it's been getting cooler out with highs in the 30's to low 40's and
    > today 8-10" of snow is expected. I need to equip myself a little better if I want to continue
    > to ride.

    Layers. Think layers...

    You may find something interesting here:

    http://www.enteract.com/~icebike/

    - CA-G

    Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

  3. Jan Sacharuk

    Jan Sacharuk Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Zebu wrote:
    > Where do you get cold weather clothing online? Any good sites?
    >
    > I have been riding in shorts with a ton of layers since most of my clothing is for warmer weather
    > but it's been getting cooler out with highs in the 30's to low 40's and today 8-10" of snow is
    > expected. I need to equip myself a little better if I want to continue to ride.
    >
    > Maybe I can convince Santa to get me some stuff! :)

    I know this is gonna sound terribly Canadian of me, but I ride in shorts until it's below 0C (32F).
    I wear a couple jerseys and a vest.

    I admit, the snow is another problem all together, but it usually just means one layer of tights and
    a Goretex jacket. I don't even change my gloves.

    At around -10C, I'm in the same clothing, but I make sure that I have heavier gloves on, a helmet
    liner and possibly a facemask if it's really windy. By the time it's down to -25C, that's when I'm
    worried about really layering my clothes on.

    Well, even if you don't know what cold weather riding is, at least you're still riding. ;)

    That said, I'd rather it was 25C out here and sunny. I may ride in the extreme cold, but I have a
    lot less fun than in the summer. :)

    As for where to get stuff, all of the stores here just carry that stuff as a matter of course. Maybe
    find a Canadian friend and get them to send it down. :)

    JS

    --
    ========================= [email protected] ========================
    Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code

  4. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Zebu" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Where do you get cold weather clothing online? Any good sites?
    >
    > I have been riding in shorts with a ton of layers since most of my
    clothing
    > is for warmer weather but it's been getting cooler out with highs in the 30's to low 40's and
    > today 8-10" of snow is expected. I need to equip myself a little better if I want to continue
    > to ride.
    >
    > Maybe I can convince Santa to get me some stuff! :)
    >
    > Zebu

    Clydesdale pointed me here:

    http://www.coldlizard.com

    You might think that's cold lizard, but it's Col d'Lizard,,,,, from France I think ;-)

    If you have the $$$ Patagonia's got great gear and Nashbar's good for <$

    Rode Lynn Woods tonight in 2" of snow -- the helmet light's not the hot setup in falling snow. Used
    the bar light only ;-)

    Good luck pushin' thru 8-10" !!

    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

  5. Zebu

    Zebu Guest

    Thanks for all the suggestions.

    LBS, Nashbar, Pricepoint, Outdoor store, ColdLizard and IceBike for reviews.

    Might pick up a pair of Polartec 100 tights from ColdLizard, nice review on them on IceBike and
    under $50 :)

    Unofficially around 8" of snow fell. It should be interesting!!!

    Zebu

  6. "Zebu" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Where do you get cold weather clothing online? Any good sites?
    >
    > I have been riding in shorts with a ton of layers since most of my
    clothing
    > is for warmer weather but it's been getting cooler out with highs in the 30's to low 40's and
    > today 8-10" of snow is expected. I need to equip myself a little better if I want to continue
    > to ride.
    >
    > Maybe I can convince Santa to get me some stuff! :)
    >
    > Zebu

    I recently bought a windstopper vest from these guys -> www.beyondfleece.com and they sell jackets
    as well. Great product, custom fit, and very reasonable price compared to big name brands like
    NorthFace and Patagonia. I commutted with a similar jacket with pit-zips one winter along the front
    range of Colorado (before I lived in the real colorado) and it kept me very warm. Fleece is nice and
    the windstopper stuff is great for long downhills.
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

  7. Zebu

    Zebu Guest

  8. Simon

    Simon Guest

    | Good luck pushin' thru 8-10" !!
    |
    | DTW .../\.../\.../\...

    I am so jealous, wish I had snow to go play in.....damn UK rain instead.

    Simon

  9. Dave wrote:
    > Clydesdale pointed me here:
    >
    > http://www.coldlizard.com

    Finest kind, aah

    > You might think that's cold lizard, but it's Col d'Lizard,,,,, from France I think ;-)

    Formerly known as Gekko Gear

    > Rode Lynn Woods tonight in 2" of snow -- the helmet light's not the hot setup in falling snow.

    Like riding in "hyperspace" with all the stars rushing past?-)

    > Good luck pushin' thru 8-10" !!

    aye.