cold weather cycling

abbi

Aug 7, 2004
Hey All,

I have started a longer commute this winter (20 miles round trip) and I'm finding the cold weather much harder to take. I have commuted for two winters already in Boston, and ridden through -10 F temps, but the commute was only 7 miles round trip. Now I feel exhausted after my ride and during the last leg of the ride my feet are getting cold dispite mountainbikeing shoes and two layers of socks. I can tell my hands are going to be a problem as we move into the 0-10 degree range. Any suggestions for gloves and shoes (or socks)? Should I just keep at it and I'll get used to it? What about the exhaustion? Any advice would be greatly appriciated. I love to ride and it keeps me relaxed enough not to chuck my students (I'm a teacher) out the window when they get annoying.:D

Abbi

I live over in Leominster, here are a few things that might help you. I got much bigger shoes, so thick socks would fit. Wind proof bib riding pants are a big improvenent ($$$) Any thing made of Polartec will work very well. And, drink plenty of water. I rode out to Greenfield a couple of weeks ago, it was 40 deg. and just plain cold all the way. Have ridden below freezing days, after so many miles, there is nothing that helps, the chill factor makes for a uncomfortable ride no matter what, you are just going to loose heat. Others I'm sure ride in much colder weather than ours.

Louis Garneau wind-tex gloves are fantastic, despite really brisk/cold wind my fingers don't feel a thing. Plus they are not at all bulky, all the dexterity of surgical gloves.

I'm also up here in the Boston area - south of Boston in Easton MA. I ride to Quincy 3-4 days a week.

My issue is shoes - my toes are going to fall off soon. I use mtnbike shoes with two layers of socks but still cold. I also have a wind cover for the shoes (no insulation value) that is supposed to also be water proof.

Any suggestions? Clearly the issue is that the sole of any clipped shoes is solid - hence it will transfer heat away from the foot to the exterior which is getting attacked by cold, fast wind.

Do I have to forgo clips? Would hate to do that. Anyone know of clipped shoes designed for icy cold weather?

Tabruno3 said:
I'm also up here in the Boston area - south of Boston in Easton MA. I ride to Quincy 3-4 days a week.

My issue is shoes - my toes are going to fall off soon. I use mtnbike shoes with two layers of socks but still cold. I also have a wind cover for the shoes (no insulation value) that is supposed to also be water proof.

Any suggestions? Clearly the issue is that the sole of any clipped shoes is solid - hence it will transfer heat away from the foot to the exterior which is getting attacked by cold, fast wind.

Do I have to forgo clips? Would hate to do that. Anyone know of clipped shoes designed for icy cold weather?
try the icebike web site. some of these guys are crazy but there are great links for cold weather gear. bring your checkbook this stuff is not cheap, but things I have bought so far are great.

Tabruno3 said:

For +20 to -40F I use my winter cyling shoes, Lake DH 2 sizes too large. I chose these because they are intended for cold and have no breath-thru points, most cycling shoes have vents to help keep your feet cool & dry. If you cant afford specialized winter cycling shoes then just duct tape the vents in a used pair thats a few sizes too large. 2 sizes too large are for my sock arrangement, med weight wool rated to -20 or -40 for the first layer, second layer neoprene diving/kayak socks sized to fit over the wool. The wool continues to insulate when wet which is important as this is not a breathable arrangement. On really cold days, -40 w/o windchill (rare it gets that cold but there's usually a day or two each year here) I can expect my windchill on the bike to drop it below -60, which is just ridiculous! Those days I add a mylar liner beneath the wool and use 1 or 2 chemical hot packs at the ankle, tucked into the neoprene socks.

For the hands I recommend glove-mittens or wool Carhartt (glove)-mitten liners. For additional warmth cover them with Acerbis Matrix Rain Glove Covers (about $15) from www.motorcycle-superstore.com, or large plain leather work or hunting mittens.

But it seems that a large fairing would save some trouble from all this dressing. A fairing would cut that nasty wind-chill factor, and increase aerodynamics, especially, when combined with a recumbent configuration. I would appreciate any comments from anyone with knowledge of fairings.