Cold weather gear and icebike any good?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by chris christanis, Oct 3, 2004.

  1. Anyone try this brand of gear. Col d'Lizárd

    This is the site: http://users.rcn.com/icebike/Default.htm

    Or if you know of some good gear? I am listening. I am trying to get ready
    for fall ...winter maybe? I am in upstate NY so we are cold around this
    time. I am especially looking for a good jacket. Thanks a lot.

    Tags:

  2. chris christanis wrote:
    > Anyone try this brand of gear. Col d'Lizárd

    Not positive, but I think they were formerly Gekko Gear. There's a guy on
    AM-B who swears by (pimps) their stuff.

    Bill "don't need any extreme stuff here in San Diego" S.

  3. Doug Purdy

    Doug Purdy Guest

    On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 03:38:34 +0000, chris christanis wrote:

    > Anyone try this brand of gear. Col d'Lizárd
    >
    > This is the site: http://users.rcn.com/icebike/Default.htm
    >
    > Or if you know of some good gear? I am listening. I am trying to get
    > ready for fall ...winter maybe? I am in upstate NY so we are cold around
    > this time. I am especially looking for a good jacket. Thanks a lot.

    Col d'Lizárd used to be Gekko Gear like Bill Sornson wrote. The Icebike
    site is good but there are different winter conditions and different
    clothes will work better for each condition.

    Lots of people push rain jackets for winter but winter weather in southern
    Ontario is probably more similar to upstate NY than maritime Oregon.
    Basically there is rain in the fall and spring but the winter itself is
    snow, not rain.

    Rain jackets tend to hold perspiration in even when they have large
    underarm zips. One of my jackets has pretty good vents and zips and passes
    humidity, but not fast enough for really hard riding. Also the wrists are
    held in with elastic so no ventilation down the arms. This jacket makes me
    wet and cold in the winter for my fast 12 mile commute but would be ok for
    short leisurely rides.

    When it's not raining, I find a jacket with wind blocking on the front of
    the body and the arms is best. The humidity escapes out the back and I
    stay dry. This can be a bit cool at stoplights when there is a high
    following wind but as I often use a messenger bag that helps keep my back
    warmer.

    Heavy snow can cause leg problems as the salt melts the snow and vehicles
    splash through slush ridges firing the wet slush up at riders. Usually
    that hits my legs up to my waist so tights that can handle those
    conditions are best. I usually wear tights that block the wind and rain in
    front but pass humidity out the back. With long underwear for high energy
    sports that's a good combo for my wet and dry winter weather,

    Good luck!

    Doug

  4. Doug Purdy

    Doug Purdy Guest

    On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 03:38:34 +0000, chris christanis wrote:

    > Anyone try this brand of gear. Col d'Lizárd
    >
    > This is the site: http://users.rcn.com/icebike/Default.htm
    >
    > Or if you know of some good gear? I am listening. I am trying to get
    > ready for fall ...winter maybe? I am in upstate NY so we are cold around
    > this time. I am especially looking for a good jacket. Thanks a lot.

    Col d'Lizárd used to be Gekko Gear like Bill Sornson wrote. The Icebike
    site is good but there are different winter conditions and different
    clothes will work better for each condition.

    Lots of people push rain jackets for winter but winter weather in southern
    Ontario is probably more similar to upstate NY than maritime Oregon.
    Basically there is rain in the fall and spring but the winter itself is
    snow, not rain.

    Rain jackets tend to hold perspiration in even when they have large
    underarm zips. One of my jackets has pretty good vents and zips and passes
    humidity, but not fast enough for really hard riding. Also the wrists are
    held in with elastic so no ventilation down the arms. This jacket makes me
    wet and cold in the winter for my fast 12 mile commute but would be ok for
    short leisurely rides.

    When it's not raining, I find a jacket with wind blocking on the front of
    the body and the arms is best. The humidity escapes out the back and I
    stay dry. This can be a bit cool at stoplights when there is a high
    following wind but as I often use a messenger bag that helps keep my back
    warmer.

    Heavy snow can cause leg problems as the salt melts the snow and vehicles
    splash through slush ridges firing the wet slush up at riders. Usually
    that hits my legs up to my waist so tights that can handle those
    conditions are best. I usually wear tights that block the wind and rain in
    front but pass humidity out the back. With long underwear for high energy
    sports that's a good combo for my wet and dry winter weather,

    Good luck!

    Doug

  5. Rich Clark

    Rich Clark Guest

    "chris christanis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Anyone try this brand of gear. Col d'Lizárd
    >
    > This is the site: http://users.rcn.com/icebike/Default.htm
    >
    > Or if you know of some good gear? I am listening. I am trying to get ready
    > for fall ...winter maybe? I am in upstate NY so we are cold around this
    > time. I am especially looking for a good jacket. Thanks a lot.

    Lots of good advice on the Icebike site.

    I bought a few things from Gekko before they changed their name. Good
    service, and in one case they sewed me a custom garment at no extra charge
    becasue the standard size didn't fit right.

    I have their cycling vest -- a terrifically useful garment -- and it's been
    great. I highly recommend the cycling vest (windblocking front, open-mesh
    back) because it most effectively keeps your core temperature from dripping
    in chilly weather without making your back sweat. The old-school version was
    to stuff newspapers under the front of your jersey.

    I have a couple of their fleece cycling jerseys, which have also been very
    serviceable. Their balaclavas (I have two, a light one and a heavy one) are
    indispensible. I've been less happy with their arm- and leg-warmers, which
    are falling apart. I like the ones from Velowear a lot better.

    I don't have a cycling jacket; even in sub-freezing temperatures I find that
    layering is more effective. A wicking long-sleeve t-shirt, followed by a
    fleece jersey, with a windbreaker over the top, with possibly another layer
    of fleece (a vest) if it's really cold. One or two pairs of tights over my
    regular bib shorts; one or two pairs of wool socks; a pair of Trek winter
    gloves with (if necessary) liners under them; an extra ear-band with the
    balaclava.

    I'm a wimp, though; I don't ride in the snow. Here in Philadelphia the last
    few years, that hasn't been much of an issue. It rarely gets colder than 20F
    here during the day -- and usually it's not even that cold -- so what works
    for me probably doesn't apply to the dead of a Thousand Island winter.

    RichC

    RichC

  6. "chris christanis" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Anyone try this brand of gear. Col d'Lizárd
    >
    > This is the site: http://users.rcn.com/icebike/Default.htm
    >
    > Or if you know of some good gear? I am listening. I am trying to get ready
    > for fall ...winter maybe? I am in upstate NY so we are cold around this
    > time. I am especially looking for a good jacket. Thanks a lot.

    I highly recomend the "Polartech Powerstretch 100" tights from Col
    d'Lizard. I bought a pair last fall and they made the Indiana winter
    much more bearable.
    They are virtualy wind/water proof and I was able to ride in temps
    well below
    10F. Watch the sizing though, they run a bit small.

  7. Fx199

    Fx199 Guest

    >Subject: Re: Cold weather gear and icebike any good?
    >From: [email protected] (roadieforlife)
    >Date: 10/4/2004 7:40 PM US Eastern Standard Time
    >
    >"chris christanis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Anyone try this brand of gear. Col d'Lizárd
    >>
    >> This is the site: http://users.rcn.com/icebike/Default.htm
    >>
    >> Or if you know of some good gear? I am listening. I am trying to get ready
    >> for fall ...winter maybe? I am in upstate NY so we are cold around this
    >> time. I am especially looking for a good jacket. Thanks a lot.

    >I highly recomend the "Polartech Powerstretch 100" tights from Col
    >d'Lizard. I bought a pair last fall and they made the Indiana winter
    >much more bearable.
    >They are virtualy wind/water proof and I was able to ride in temps
    >well below
    >10F. Watch the sizing though, they run a bit small.

    What part of Indiana?

  8. [email protected] (Fx199) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > >Subject: Re: Cold weather gear and icebike any good?
    > >From: [email protected] (roadieforlife)
    > >Date: 10/4/2004 7:40 PM US Eastern Standard Time
    > >
    > >"chris christanis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:<[email protected]>...
    > >> Anyone try this brand of gear. Col d'Lizárd
    > >>
    > >> This is the site: http://users.rcn.com/icebike/Default.htm
    > >>
    > >> Or if you know of some good gear? I am listening. I am trying to get ready
    > >> for fall ...winter maybe? I am in upstate NY so we are cold around this
    > >> time. I am especially looking for a good jacket. Thanks a lot.

    > >I highly recomend the "Polartech Powerstretch 100" tights from Col
    > >d'Lizard. I bought a pair last fall and they made the Indiana winter
    > >much more bearable.
    > >They are virtualy wind/water proof and I was able to ride in temps
    > >well below
    > >10F. Watch the sizing though, they run a bit small.

    > What part of Indiana?

    Indianapolis, although I recently moved to the Greensboro, NC area. Looking
    forward to much milder winters!

  9. Fx199

    Fx199 Guest

    >> What part of Indiana?
    >
    >Indianapolis, although I recently moved to the Greensboro, NC area. Looking
    >forward to much milder winters!

    North of Ft Wayne here...arrrgh..may be moving in a couple years to Colorado