Cold weather gear

Myosmith

Apr 27, 2011
I'm from Minnesota and we're headed for some cold weather. We're expecting an early frost this week /img/vbsmilies/smilies/mad.gif. I rode in some cold weather this spring but was just starting out and wearing jeans, heavy hiking socks and athletic shoes to keep warm. Upper body is no problem as I have a good selection of appropriate layered cold weather gear and adequate gloves, but what to cyclists wear to keep their legs and feet warm when the temps near freezing?

I live near the twin cities in MN and ride in the winter. The gear you need will vary depending on the temperature, your ability to tolerate cold, how hard you plan to ride and the length of your ride. Starting out, you probably want to be overdressed a bit as it is easy to peel off layers. Don't go overboard, though, you will sweat and saturate your base layers.

My legs never seemed to get too cold. Usually 1 or two layers of cycling tights did the trick. When it was really cold, I could add a pair of long Johns.

My feet, on the other hand, were hard to keep warm. Regardless of the number of layers worn, I would get white lifeless toes at the end. I. This year I may try some hand warmers in the booties.

For sub zero temps, I customized an old bike helmet with a motorcycle face shield and taped off all the vents. Then I made a breath box to warm the air and direct my breath downward so the shield would not fog up.

Here are the clothes I keep in my winter arsenal.

Feet (your feet will be the first thing to freeze):

-Cycling shoes with booties (shoe covers which go on the outside)
-Wool sock
-Doubled up wool socks

Legs (much easier to keep warm than feet):

-Leg warmers
-Full length tights, single or doubled up
-Thermal underwear underneath full length tights

Torso:

-Long sleeve dri-wick shirt
-Thermal undershirt
-Vest

Hands:

-Gloves, perhaps doubled up
-Mittens

Neck:

-keep it covered up with something

Head:

-balaclava, lycra or fleece
-Stocking Cap

Eyes:

-Glasses
-Ski Goggles
-Motorcycle face shield

I've never figured out the trick how to ride at a decent pace w/o sweating, so for me it's all about moisture management. I use either thin runner's tights on top of wicking long johns, or a pair of thick tights, or a pair with windproof front panels.
Oh, and my much appreciated knee pads. Originally intended for Volleyball, they act as wind breaks for me. The muscles, you can always ride warm, but the knees can benefit from some extra help.
Feet are tricky. Some dedicated winter riders go to great effort making sure they've got properly fitted shoes/boots. Extra wide models can be helpful. The use of pelottes can be beneficial to keep the feet going.
Personally, I've given up. I use winter-specific boots, sized to allow the use of THICK socks, and custom, high-power electrically heated insoles. The only thing that works for me.

Hands, I've started using surgical gloves inside whatever gloves/mitts I'm using. Great stuff.
Sure, my hands get wet, but the gloves keep their insulating properties throughout the ride.

Originally Posted by dabac . Hands, I've started using surgical gloves inside whatever gloves/mitts I'm using. Great stuff.
Sure, my hands get wet, but the gloves keep their insulating properties throughout the ride.

Good tip. I usually use polypropelyne (sp?) glove liners, but on really cold days even those aren't enough. I'm gonna try surgical gloves this winter!

Here's a tip. I haven't used it for cycling, but I have used it to keep my hands dry: Buy the heavy weight nitrile surgical gloves a size too big and wear them over a set of knit glove liners. Then put on a pair of large gloves or mittens over them. I've worked outside in -40 degree F weather for extended periods wearing this combo and my hands stay quite dry and reasonably warm.

dabac - could you provide some more info on those heated insoles please. Sounds like they might be the last piece in the puzzle for me also.

FWIW. I found that for temps between about 25ºF & 40ºF the gear that I would use for XC skiing is suitable ... at least, as a starting point ... i.e., a single-layer, 65-35 or Supplex shell PLUS appropriate layers ...

Beyond the starting point, you may need to add ONE layer ([COLOR= #ff0000]A front-zippered vest is a good idea to have under the wind shell ... I wear a fleece lined vest, so the shell can be removed & I will stll have protection from the wind[/COLOR][COLOR= #000000]) [/COLOR]to account for the added windchill which the higher MPHs of riding over skiing will create ...

I prefer a regular short sleeve cycling jersey + arm warmers (vs. wearing a long sleeve jersey ...) worn over a short sleeve polypropylene shirt that I use for backpacking -- short sleeve if the forecast is that it will probably warm up a little by the end of the ride & long sleeve if the forecast is less friendly.

Wind Pants with a windproof front seem like a great idea every time I see a pair, but I soldier on with just a pair of unlined "cycling" tights over my regular cycling shorts because I anticipate that it will be warmer as the day progresses ([COLOR= #808080]N.B. I'm riding at altitude, so the Sun probably adds about 10ºF to the apparent air temp by the end of the ride[/COLOR]).

Neoprene BOOTIES are a must, IMO, at temps below 40ºF.

• AFAIK, while there isn't much differenece in the Neoprene used in different Booties ([COLOR= #808080]i.e., none use thicker Neoprene than others[/COLOR]), if you want to use them over MTB shoes, then you need Booties intended for shoes at least 2 Euro-sizes larger due to the cleats on the bottom of a MTB shoe's soles.
  • AND, I kept meaning to mention this in the past, you need to be aware that some Booties have a REAR entry while others have a SIDE entry -- it makes a difference ...for the moment, I'll say that rear entry Bootie are marginally better.

For gloves, I wear some knit gloves (Pearl Izumi) over my regular cycling gloves.

A thin Polypropylene Balaclava + Goggles go a long way toward comfort, IMO.

Until you know what your comfort level is, it is probably better to have at least one extra layer for your torso than not.