Cold weather gloves

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Uawadall, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Uawadall

Uawadall Active Member

I'm surprising myself riding through the winter. I'd think I would have packed it in already, but I'm still enjoying it. I have a hand condition that makes riding in the cold a bit more difficult and wonder if any one has recommendations on extreme weather protection gloves.

I bought a pair of Sugoi Zero gloves, but they suck! Its one of my favorite brands for cycling and running apparel, but the gloves are worthless. Loose seams and peeling decals in a few months.

Tags:

2. Weatherby

Weatherby Active Member

I have some nerve damage in my hands that make cold riding uncomfortable and I don't go out often when it is below 20F. I tend to wear a thin pair of merino wool liners under either SealSkinz gloves or GripGrab lobster mitts. The sealskinz are water proof.

3. CrankyThunder

CrankyThunder Member

I am not picky with gloves.......any old pair laying around will do.

I tend to purchase insulated work gloves with safety reflective backing for visibility.

when it gets really cold I switch to ski mittens with long cuffs.

Regards,
    Cranky

4. Susimi

Susimi Active Member

Karrimor do some great gloves for cold weather that are comfy, give freedom of movement and keep your hands warm. I don't have any myself but a friend uses them and he let me try them out one day. I was left pretty surprised by how nice they are. I'd recommend them.

If I didn't already have a set of gloves at the minute I would get some myself but my current gloves, standard no-name brand ones, seem to do me well so I can't really complain.

5. JSWin

JSWin Member

Yeah it has been cold. I've been on the bike a little bit. I thought my fingers were getting frost bite when I walked the dog the past couple nights though. I think those thick insulated gloves are the only thing that are going to cut the cold air. Mountain bike might be fine with those but I don't know about a touring bike. They might be too thick to ride with but at least the fingers won't be freezing off.

6. pyeyo

pyeyo New Member

i ride through winter in snow country, pretty much whatever is dry becomes today's glove, though I am partial to a pair of Ibex, kind of get twisty if I forget to bring them in from the shop where I land each evening. I do have a pair of split finger lobster mitts that were meant for cross-country skiing that work well in bitter cold. my wife has a pair of Outdoor Research heated gloves that I wish would fit me:)

7. mpre53

mpre53 Well-Known Member

I have a pair of Rukka Vauhti motocross gloves, a gift from my wife's cousin in Finland. Lobster claw style.

8. Susimi

Susimi Active Member

I'm pretty jealous!

If it's from Finland then you just know it's made of quality. Those Fins do not mess around when it comes to dealing and coping in the cold, more so than the Russians ;)

9. mpre53

mpre53 Well-Known Member

Yeah, well, I hate to shatter the illusion, but those Suomalainen are joining the rest of the world in having more and more of their stuff made offshore. My gloves are made in Pakistan. Even the time-honored Rapala fishing lures are now mass produced across the Gulf in Estonia---where Finns often travel to stock up on low tax booze.

And you can bet your bottom dollar now that Microshit owns Nokia's mobile division, their phones will speak with a Chinese accent. :rolleyes:

10. peterparker

peterparker New Member

I am surprising for this

11. robwell

robwell New Member

I have a pair of Nordic ski gloves.