Cold weather gloves

Uawadall

Jun 14, 2015
I'm surprising myself riding through the winter. I'd think I would have packed it in already, but I'm still enjoying it. I have a hand condition that makes riding in the cold a bit more difficult and wonder if any one has recommendations on extreme weather protection gloves.

I bought a pair of Sugoi Zero gloves, but they suck! Its one of my favorite brands for cycling and running apparel, but the gloves are worthless. Loose seams and peeling decals in a few months.

I have some nerve damage in my hands that make cold riding uncomfortable and I don't go out often when it is below 20F. I tend to wear a thin pair of merino wool liners under either SealSkinz gloves or GripGrab lobster mitts. The sealskinz are water proof.

Karrimor do some great gloves for cold weather that are comfy, give freedom of movement and keep your hands warm. I don't have any myself but a friend uses them and he let me try them out one day. I was left pretty surprised by how nice they are. I'd recommend them.

If I didn't already have a set of gloves at the minute I would get some myself but my current gloves, standard no-name brand ones, seem to do me well so I can't really complain.

Yeah it has been cold. I've been on the bike a little bit. I thought my fingers were getting frost bite when I walked the dog the past couple nights though. I think those thick insulated gloves are the only thing that are going to cut the cold air. Mountain bike might be fine with those but I don't know about a touring bike. They might be too thick to ride with but at least the fingers won't be freezing off.

i ride through winter in snow country, pretty much whatever is dry becomes today's glove, though I am partial to a pair of Ibex, kind of get twisty if I forget to bring them in from the shop where I land each evening. I do have a pair of split finger lobster mitts that were meant for cross-country skiing that work well in bitter cold. my wife has a pair of Outdoor Research heated gloves that I wish would fit me:)

I have a pair of Rukka Vauhti motocross gloves, a gift from my wife's cousin in Finland. Lobster claw style.

I'm pretty jealous!

If it's from Finland then you just know it's made of quality. Those Fins do not mess around when it comes to dealing and coping in the cold, more so than the Russians ;)

Yeah, well, I hate to shatter the illusion, but those Suomalainen are joining the rest of the world in having more and more of their stuff made offshore. My gloves are made in Pakistan. Even the time-honored Rapala fishing lures are now mass produced across the Gulf in Estonia---where Finns often travel to stock up on low tax booze.

And you can bet your bottom dollar now that Microshit owns Nokia's mobile division, their phones will speak with a Chinese accent. :rolleyes:

Mitts are the best at keeping your hands the warmest. I've tried finger gloves and on a bike with cold air blasting away they're useless at keeping my hands even cool. The fingers being together in a mitt keeps all the fingers warm, instead of isolating them where there is nothing to generate warmth. The drawback with mitts is that they are bit more difficult to work the briftors with, but the warmth is worth the hassle.

There is a pair of inexpensive lobster mitts made by Phew that cost around $30, add a pair of merino wool finger gloves and your good to go. The Phew is windproof and showerproof. Louis Garneau Super Prestige Gloves for about $45 is another great low price option.

I'm surprising myself riding through the winter. I'd think I would have packed it in already, but I'm still enjoying it. I have a hand condition that makes riding in the cold a bit more difficult and wonder if any one has recommendations on extreme weather protection gloves.

I bought a pair of Sugoi Zero gloves, but they suck! Its one of my favorite brands for cycling and running apparel, but the gloves are worthless. Loose seams and peeling decals in a few months.

The problem is that bike gloves get more wear on the palms than other gloves so you're stuck buying cycling specific gloves. And I'm pretty sure that whoever designs these things lives in Hawaii.

So I end up buying a set of wool liners which greatly improves the insulation.

Cold weather has always been a challenge. I mostly don't stay out too long when the weather's too cold. I don't like the idea of getting frostbite. I wear gloves made by my relatives. They gave it to me as a gift during holiday seasons. They're comfy and better made than the ones bought at stores.

Gloves are a real problem. You can get winter tights easily enough and you can wear multiple jerseys with a jacket over the top (AVOID wearing a wind jacket which traps the moisture in and leaves you soaking wet even when you're shivering) and Pearl Izumi makes some nice wool winter socks.

But I have three or four different winter gloves depending on the expected temperature. One pair are two fingered with thick insulation. That was the only thing that worked one very cold year but that was California cold and not Kansas cold.

I suppose you are smart enough to learn what works for you. I just got a pair of Pearl Izumi long fingered gloves that feel much too thin that work very well.

Pearl Izumi, I think, is good. It's lightweight. It's warm and your hands can still breath. Some have some grippy on the palm part so you don't lose your grip on the bar.

I have some nerve damage in my hands that make cold riding uncomfortable and I don't go out often when it is below 20F. I tend to wear a thin pair of merino wool liners under either SealSkinz gloves or GripGrab lobster mitts. The sealskinz are water proof.
Most of the problems with gloves are that they pinch in between the fingers and cut the blood flow off. This cause numbness from pinching the nerves and cold from cutting off the blood flow.

I have various gloves from Voler, Pearl Izumi and Rock Bros. and they all work well in their temperature ranges but they all fit properly. My fingerless gloves invariable pinch since there are no finger ends holding the creases out from between my fingers and I end up with my fingers so numb that I have trouble shifting. Change over to light weight finger gloves and the problem disappears.

Most of the problems with gloves are that they pinch in between the fingers and cut the blood flow off. This cause numbness from pinching the nerves and cold from cutting off the blood flow.

I have various gloves from Voler, Pearl Izumi and Rock Bros. and they all work well in their temperature ranges but they all fit properly. My fingerless gloves invariable pinch since there are no finger ends holding the creases out from between my fingers and I end up with my fingers so numb that I have trouble shifting. Change over to light weight finger gloves and the problem disappears.

Except Tom, light weight finger less gloves was totally impertinent to the discussion. He was discussing cold wintry days which is what I think the OP was saying by using the words "winter" and "cold" is his thread and never used the words "summer" and "hot".

Except Tom, light weight finger less gloves was totally impertinent to the discussion. He was discussing cold wintry days which is what I think the OP was saying by using the words "winter" and "cold" is his thread and never used the words "summer" and "hot".
Unless you can actually interpret English. If your long finger gloves have fingers that are too long for you, they will act just like short finger gloves and pinch between the fingers and make your hands numb and cold both. They can get so bad that you have trouble shifting. Weatherby's problem is more likely to be short fingers for his hand size than nerve damage.