Cold Weather problems

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by Blademun, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Blademun

Blademun New Member

Hello all. I don't normally post in this forum for fear of feeling pretentious. However I really do need some help or advice. I have a hard time cycling in cool weather because of mucus; tons of it. As soon as I leave the house and hit the road I can feel it start draining into my throat and air passages. Pretty soon I am having trouble breathing and have to slow down repeatedly to cough it up and or blow my nose on my glove,sleeve, ect. Needless to say, being in that state makes me feel really miserable and I almost always end up way out of shape by the end of winter due to lack of cycling and pushing myself.

The worse part is I know its not really cold. I live in Florida and it only is 65 F (it gets down to around 40-50 at night, where it gets really bad.). I am not sure if this is because of allergys(the dewpoint is low in the winter and allergens can become airborne much more easily) or just a biological reaction to the cool, dry air itself.

Any thoughts or advice would be helpfull. I really want to train up for a hundred mile ride to Orlando in late Feburary.

Tags:

2. wiredued

wiredued New Member

I increase my vitamin D intake during the fall and winter it reels in your immune system so you don't drown in your own mucus it is good protection from the flu virus for this reason.

If it's allergies some local raw honey would desensitize you to the pollen in your area.

3. TKOS

TKOS New Member

I know that when I excercise in cooler or cold weather my nose fills up pretty fast. I have quickly learned to just turn my head and blow hard and fast. That usually clears things up for awhile. Just try and blow to the side and down. Soon you can easily do it at speed.

4. Hask12

Hask12 New Member

No offense, but that's pretty disgusting.

5. fossyant

fossyant New Member

It is....... but it works :eek:

65f (18-19c) - that's a nice cycling temperature in the UK - fairly warm good summer's day ! :eek:

Called "Cyclist's drip" or something similar in the UK - caused by irritation to eyes by the cold which increases mucus production - just press one nostril, and shoot it out the other - repeat for the other side. Cycling glasses help, but are no means a cure !

Pretty gross but it's common - you need to do it - simple. - Just aim carefully - just don't get a friend ! :D

It's fairly mild in the UK for the time of year - under 10c (35f-45f) but above freezing at the moment !

6. Spunout

Spunout New Member

Blow it out.

Reducing milk products before a ride can clear things up (if in lungs) but it seems that you have sinus problems only.

Blow it out your nose before it drips into your throat.

7. MPCRUSHER

MPCRUSHER New Member

AAHH the bushies blow. Had a guy do it in the bunch a few weeks back. I was sitting on his wheel. All over me. Now thats disgusting. Please pull out of the bunch to do it, or go to the back. Oh god Im gonna heave just thinking about it.

8. nathanb74

nathanb74 New Member

Also known as the bushman's hankie (hankerchief). It may be disgusting but it works and I'm not about to start carrying tissue's while I'm riding. Have seen alot worse - like Ironman triathletes going for number 1's on the bike. Like it was previously said - if you aim down towards the ground in between your elbow and thigh you shouldn't hit anyone with it.