cold weather rides & flat fixing

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Bill B, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Bill B

    Bill B Guest

    cell phones, TAXI's and friends or sig others to come and get you when you have a flat----Whaaaa
    Whaaaa..snif sniffle..gimme a break. Ok Ok I won't be toooo hard on the guys in the cold weather BUT
    for some one that rides in Sunny mild Florida that has to call for a cab!!!!!!! be a real cyclist
    and put in a new tube and continue the ride. No SAG for me when I ride in 20 deg

    Tags:

  2. Actually, my s.o. has responded with our van both times I got a flat in the last 18 months. But the
    local cab company that takes me to the airport told me they just about always have a station wagon
    if I ever need one.

    I do fix flats. I just prefer not to sit at the side of the road and do it if I can avoid it. ;-))
    --
    Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Bill B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    [q1]> cell phones, TAXI's and friends or sig others to come and get you when you have a flat----Whaaaa[/q1]
    [q1]> Whaaaa..snif sniffle..gimme a break. Ok Ok I won't be toooo hard on the guys in the cold weather[/q1]
    [q1]> BUT for some one that rides in Sunny mild Florida that has to call for a cab!!!!!!! be a real[/q1]
    [q1]> cyclist and put in a new tube and continue the ride. No SAG for me when I ride in 20 deg[/q1]

    [q1]> cell phones, TAXI's and friends or sig others to come and get you when you have a flat----Whaaaa[/q1]
    [q1]> Whaaaa..snif sniffle..gimme a break. Ok Ok I won't be toooo hard on the guys in the cold weather[/q1]
    [q1]> BUT for some one that rides in Sunny mild Florida that has to call for a cab!!!!!!! be a real[/q1]
    [q1]> cyclist and put in a new tube and continue the ride. No SAG for me when I ride in 20 deg[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    Not every breakdown can be remedied with a patch kit and a pump. About two years back, I did not
    properly tighten the QR on my front wheel of my P-38. At 10 miles into the Saturday ride with-in
    sight of the Galleria in Houston, I hit a bump in the concrete and my front wheel fell off. My fork
    was bent beyond repair. Yellow-Cab to the rescue. There are also parts of town where I ride that I
    don't want to get caught alone and vulnerable after the sun goes down.

    I'll keep my cell phone handy (thank you) and try to use sound judgment on what to fix and when
    to bail out.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  4. "Bill B" skrev ...
    > be a real cyclist and put in a new tube and continue the ride. No SAG for me when I ride
    > in 20 deg

    A new tube? ptchah! I got out the repair kit and patched it today when the puncture fairy blessed my
    rear tire. Okay, so it was 5-7C. ;-)

    Mikael

  5. "Bill B" skrev ...
    > be a real cyclist and put in a new tube and continue the ride. No SAG for me when I ride
    > in 20 deg

    A new tube? ptchah! I got out the repair kit and patched it today when the puncture fairy blessed my
    rear tire. Okay, so it was 5-7C. ;-)

    Mikael

  6. Derek Swift

    Derek Swift Guest

    > There are also parts of town where I ride that I don't want to get caught alone and vulnerable
    > after the sun goes down.

    Ward 5 there in Houston comes to mind.

    Derek

  7. Baronn1

    Baronn1 Guest

    Ya know Cletus, when I saw your Saturday loop, two thoughts occurred to me.
    1. That's a pretty congested area, how do you maintain the speeds that you do?
    2. At least some of that seems like a pretty rough area, maybe that's how you maintain the
    speeds you do.

    "Cletus D. Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > cell phones, TAXI's and friends or sig others to come and get you when you have a flat----Whaaaa
    > > Whaaaa..snif sniffle..gimme a break. Ok Ok I won't be toooo hard on the guys in the cold weather
    > > BUT for some one that rides in Sunny mild Florida that has to call for a cab!!!!!!! be a real
    > > cyclist and put in a new tube and continue the ride. No SAG for me when I ride in 20 deg
    > >
    > Not every breakdown can be remedied with a patch kit and a pump. About
    two
    > years back, I did not properly tighten the QR on my front wheel of my
    P-38. At
    > 10 miles into the Saturday ride with-in sight of the Galleria in Houston,
    > hit a bump in the concrete and my front wheel fell off. My fork was bent beyond repair. Yellow-Cab
    > to the rescue. There are also parts of town
    where
    > I ride that I don't want to get caught alone and vulnerable after the sun
    goes
    > down.
    >
    > I'll keep my cell phone handy (thank you) and try to use sound judgment on what to fix and when to
    > bail out.

    > - Bellaire, TX USA -

  8. Derek Swift

    Derek Swift Guest

    > There are also parts of town where I ride that I don't want to get caught alone and vulnerable
    > after the sun goes down.

    Ward 5 there in Houston comes to mind.

    Derek

  9. Baronn1

    Baronn1 Guest

    Ya know Cletus, when I saw your Saturday loop, two thoughts occurred to me.
    1. That's a pretty congested area, how do you maintain the speeds that you do?
    2. At least some of that seems like a pretty rough area, maybe that's how you maintain the
    speeds you do.

    "Cletus D. Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > cell phones, TAXI's and friends or sig others to come and get you when you have a flat----Whaaaa
    > > Whaaaa..snif sniffle..gimme a break. Ok Ok I won't be toooo hard on the guys in the cold weather
    > > BUT for some one that rides in Sunny mild Florida that has to call for a cab!!!!!!! be a real
    > > cyclist and put in a new tube and continue the ride. No SAG for me when I ride in 20 deg
    > >
    > Not every breakdown can be remedied with a patch kit and a pump. About
    two
    > years back, I did not properly tighten the QR on my front wheel of my
    P-38. At
    > 10 miles into the Saturday ride with-in sight of the Galleria in Houston,
    > hit a bump in the concrete and my front wheel fell off. My fork was bent beyond repair. Yellow-Cab
    > to the rescue. There are also parts of town
    where
    > I ride that I don't want to get caught alone and vulnerable after the sun
    goes
    > down.
    >
    > I'll keep my cell phone handy (thank you) and try to use sound judgment on what to fix and when to
    > bail out.

    > - Bellaire, TX USA -

  10. U sound like an Ideal candidate for "Air Free" tires and or the purchase of a Glock. "Derek Swift"
    > > There are also parts of town where I ride that I don't want to get caught alone and vulnerable
    > > after the
    sun
    > > goes down.
    >
    > Ward 5 there in Houston comes to mind.
    >
    > Derek

  11. U sound like an Ideal candidate for "Air Free" tires and or the purchase of a Glock. "Derek Swift"
    > > There are also parts of town where I ride that I don't want to get caught alone and vulnerable
    > > after the
    sun