Cold Weather Riding

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Al Kubeluis, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Al Kubeluis

    Al Kubeluis Guest

    Hi Bikers, Been doing 40-60 milers in sub 32F and 20+ knot winds. Seems tough, but only hard part is
    psychological, i.e., getting outside and starting. After 2 miles, all is wonderful. Ironically,
    keeping from overheating is a problem. Zipping jacket and shirt help maintain temperature. Motor
    cycle goggles keep eyes from watering and face warm. Wouldn't like to fix flat in extreme cold, so
    cell phone and route with friends nearby is a caution taken on solo rides. Try cold weather riding
    on clear roads. You might just like it.
    --
    Al Kubeluis ~ Bacchetta Corsa ~ Maryland ~ USA ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

    Tags:

  2. Al Kubeluis

    Al Kubeluis Guest

    Hi Bikers, Been doing 40-60 milers in sub 32F and 20+ knot winds. Seems tough, but only hard part is
    psychological, i.e., getting outside and starting. After 2 miles, all is wonderful. Ironically,
    keeping from overheating is a problem. Zipping jacket and shirt help maintain temperature. Motor
    cycle goggles keep eyes from watering and face warm. Wouldn't like to fix flat in extreme cold, so
    cell phone and route with friends nearby is a caution taken on solo rides. Try cold weather riding
    on clear roads. You might just like it.
    --
    Al Kubeluis ~ Bacchetta Corsa ~ Maryland ~ USA ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

  3. Today I did my daily 16 mile ride in Minus 18 Celsius and I had enuff layers of clothing on I
    must've looked like the Pillsbury Dough Boy and boy was I over dressed, tommorrow am going to wear
    much less and hope body parts don't fall off. As for getting a flat tire...I take a Kryponite
    Shackle lock and $40.00 and if I blow a tire, I lock the bent and take a Taxi home with only the
    wheel. Repair at home and return to the bent and ride her home.
    "Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Bikers, Been doing 40-60 milers in sub 32F and 20+ knot winds. Seems tough,
    but
    > only hard part is psychological, i.e., getting outside and starting. After
    2
    > miles, all is wonderful. Ironically, keeping from overheating is a problem. Zipping jacket and
    > shirt help maintain temperature. Motor cycle goggles keep eyes from watering and face warm.
    > Wouldn't like to fix flat in extreme cold, so cell phone and route
    with
    > friends nearby is a caution taken on solo rides. Try cold weather riding on clear roads. You might
    > just like it.
    > --
    > Al Kubeluis ~ Bacchetta Corsa ~ Maryland ~ USA ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

  4. Today I did my daily 16 mile ride in Minus 18 Celsius and I had enuff layers of clothing on I
    must've looked like the Pillsbury Dough Boy and boy was I over dressed, tommorrow am going to wear
    much less and hope body parts don't fall off. As for getting a flat tire...I take a Kryponite
    Shackle lock and $40.00 and if I blow a tire, I lock the bent and take a Taxi home with only the
    wheel. Repair at home and return to the bent and ride her home.
    "Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Bikers, Been doing 40-60 milers in sub 32F and 20+ knot winds. Seems tough,
    but
    > only hard part is psychological, i.e., getting outside and starting. After
    2
    > miles, all is wonderful. Ironically, keeping from overheating is a problem. Zipping jacket and
    > shirt help maintain temperature. Motor cycle goggles keep eyes from watering and face warm.
    > Wouldn't like to fix flat in extreme cold, so cell phone and route
    with
    > friends nearby is a caution taken on solo rides. Try cold weather riding on clear roads. You might
    > just like it.
    > --
    > Al Kubeluis ~ Bacchetta Corsa ~ Maryland ~ USA ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

  5. John

    John Guest

    Right you are, Al: though my rides have been shorter and in single digit windchill temps, the only
    cold I've experienced is my feet after about 12 miles (about an hour), likely because they're out
    front and up high on my trike. I think neoprene booties will be my next purchase, since the duct
    tape around the cleats provides only minimal insulation. I always wear flannel or fleece-lined
    jeans and consider a balaclava essential. Heck of a lot less pedestrian traffic on the bike
    trails, though.

  6. John

    John Guest

    Right you are, Al: though my rides have been shorter and in single digit windchill temps, the only
    cold I've experienced is my feet after about 12 miles (about an hour), likely because they're out
    front and up high on my trike. I think neoprene booties will be my next purchase, since the duct
    tape around the cleats provides only minimal insulation. I always wear flannel or fleece-lined
    jeans and consider a balaclava essential. Heck of a lot less pedestrian traffic on the bike
    trails, though.

  7. Mike S

    Mike S Guest

    "Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi Bikers, Been doing 40-60 milers in sub 32F and 20+ knot winds. Seems tough, but only hard part
    > is psychological, i.e., getting outside and starting. After 2 miles, all is wonderful. Ironically,
    > keeping from overheating is a problem. Zipping jacket and shirt help maintain temperature. Motor
    > cycle goggles keep eyes from watering and face warm. Wouldn't like to fix flat in extreme cold, so
    > cell phone and route with friends nearby is a caution taken on solo rides. Try cold weather riding
    > on clear roads. You might just like it.

    What I find makes the best cold weather defense is a balaclava. Normally wear the same layered
    clothing (yes, I wash it in between rides). Rode home yesterday in 28 degrees (not cold enough for
    you northerners but plenty cold for the southerners, and for me in St. Louis) and was working up
    quite a sweat. When I wear just normal head covering, even a Coolmax skullcap, I find it more
    difficult to stay warm. But with that balaclava covering the head and tucked into the jacket the
    only thing I need concentrate on is keeping the toes warm.

    As a sidelight, do any of you find your bike handles differently in the colder weather? I find my
    speeds are slower and I seem to work harder. I don't want to repeat the long discussion raised by
    Cletus about a week ago, but just curious as to your experience.

  8. Mike S

    Mike S Guest

    "Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi Bikers, Been doing 40-60 milers in sub 32F and 20+ knot winds. Seems tough, but only hard part
    > is psychological, i.e., getting outside and starting. After 2 miles, all is wonderful. Ironically,
    > keeping from overheating is a problem. Zipping jacket and shirt help maintain temperature. Motor
    > cycle goggles keep eyes from watering and face warm. Wouldn't like to fix flat in extreme cold, so
    > cell phone and route with friends nearby is a caution taken on solo rides. Try cold weather riding
    > on clear roads. You might just like it.

    What I find makes the best cold weather defense is a balaclava. Normally wear the same layered
    clothing (yes, I wash it in between rides). Rode home yesterday in 28 degrees (not cold enough for
    you northerners but plenty cold for the southerners, and for me in St. Louis) and was working up
    quite a sweat. When I wear just normal head covering, even a Coolmax skullcap, I find it more
    difficult to stay warm. But with that balaclava covering the head and tucked into the jacket the
    only thing I need concentrate on is keeping the toes warm.

    As a sidelight, do any of you find your bike handles differently in the colder weather? I find my
    speeds are slower and I seem to work harder. I don't want to repeat the long discussion raised by
    Cletus about a week ago, but just curious as to your experience.

  9. Neil Gaston

    Neil Gaston Guest

    Just got my new V-Rex. Had to take it out to the lake (10 mile circumferential paved trail) despite
    the 25 degree temp. Only time I was uncomfortable was on the south side of the lake as the morth
    wind came across the water. My big problem is that my glasses fog up...especially with a balaclava.

    "Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Bikers, Been doing 40-60 milers in sub 32F and 20+ knot winds. Seems tough,
    but
    > only hard part is psychological, i.e., getting outside and starting. After
    2
    > miles, all is wonderful. Ironically, keeping from overheating is a problem. Zipping jacket and
    > shirt help maintain temperature. Motor cycle goggles keep eyes from watering and face warm.
    > Wouldn't like to fix flat in extreme cold, so cell phone and route
    with
    > friends nearby is a caution taken on solo rides. Try cold weather riding on clear roads. You might
    > just like it.
    > --
    > Al Kubeluis ~ Bacchetta Corsa ~ Maryland ~ USA ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

  10. Neil Gaston

    Neil Gaston Guest

    Just got my new V-Rex. Had to take it out to the lake (10 mile circumferential paved trail) despite
    the 25 degree temp. Only time I was uncomfortable was on the south side of the lake as the morth
    wind came across the water. My big problem is that my glasses fog up...especially with a balaclava.

    "Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Bikers, Been doing 40-60 milers in sub 32F and 20+ knot winds. Seems tough,
    but
    > only hard part is psychological, i.e., getting outside and starting. After
    2
    > miles, all is wonderful. Ironically, keeping from overheating is a problem. Zipping jacket and
    > shirt help maintain temperature. Motor cycle goggles keep eyes from watering and face warm.
    > Wouldn't like to fix flat in extreme cold, so cell phone and route
    with
    > friends nearby is a caution taken on solo rides. Try cold weather riding on clear roads. You might
    > just like it.
    > --
    > Al Kubeluis ~ Bacchetta Corsa ~ Maryland ~ USA ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

  11. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]et says...
    > Hi Bikers, Been doing 40-60 milers in sub 32F and 20+ knot winds.

    Does 28° count? I had a 'fun' ride to work this AM. The wind chill at the local WeatherBug station
    down the street from my office was reading a 19° windchill.

    Yes, it does get cold in Houston sometimes. Tomorrows lows are expected to be in the low 20s in time
    for my regular Saturday ride.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  12. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > Hi Bikers, Been doing 40-60 milers in sub 32F and 20+ knot winds.

    Does 28° count? I had a 'fun' ride to work this AM. The wind chill at the local WeatherBug station
    down the street from my office was reading a 19° windchill.

    Yes, it does get cold in Houston sometimes. Tomorrows lows are expected to be in the low 20s in time
    for my regular Saturday ride.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  13. If my s.o is unreachable or just cannot bring the van to get me, I have asked the cab dispatcher to
    send a station wagon. My TiRush can be squeezed into one. For my very occasional flats a cell phone
    and a cab has worked just fine for me.

    Weather here in North Central Florida has been bright and sunny but only in the 50s during the
    current cold snap ... so I bundle up with a heavy sweat shirt and wear the hood under my helmet,
    along with tights and lightweight cotton gloves. Wow. What hardship.

    Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote > As for
    getting a flat tire...I take a Kryponite Shackle lock and $40.00 and
    > if I blow a tire, I lock the bent and take a Taxi home with only the
    wheel.
    > Repair at home and return to the bent and ride her home.

  14. Al Kubeluis

    Al Kubeluis Guest

    John, Chemical foot warmer inserts that hunters use are a must for me if ride is over an hour. Get
    shoe insert designed to accept these warmers and warmers at Walmart, etc.
    --
    Al Kubeluis ~ Bacchetta Corsa ~ Maryland ~ USA ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ "John"
    > Right you are, Al: though my rides have been shorter and in single digit windchill temps, the only
    > cold I've experienced is my feet after about 12 miles (about an hour), likely because they're out
    > front and up high on my trike. I think neoprene booties will be my next purchase, since the duct
    > tape around the cleats provides only minimal insulation. I always wear flannel or fleece-lined
    > jeans and consider a balaclava essential. Heck of a lot less pedestrian traffic on the bike
    > trails, though.

  15. If my s.o is unreachable or just cannot bring the van to get me, I have asked the cab dispatcher to
    send a station wagon. My TiRush can be squeezed into one. For my very occasional flats a cell phone
    and a cab has worked just fine for me.

    Weather here in North Central Florida has been bright and sunny but only in the 50s during the
    current cold snap ... so I bundle up with a heavy sweat shirt and wear the hood under my helmet,
    along with tights and lightweight cotton gloves. Wow. What hardship.

    Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote > As for
    getting a flat tire...I take a Kryponite Shackle lock and $40.00 and
    > if I blow a tire, I lock the bent and take a Taxi home with only the
    wheel.
    > Repair at home and return to the bent and ride her home.

  16. Al Kubeluis

    Al Kubeluis Guest

    John, Chemical foot warmer inserts that hunters use are a must for me if ride is over an hour. Get
    shoe insert designed to accept these warmers and warmers at Walmart, etc.
    --
    Al Kubeluis ~ Bacchetta Corsa ~ Maryland ~ USA ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ "John"
    > Right you are, Al: though my rides have been shorter and in single digit windchill temps, the only
    > cold I've experienced is my feet after about 12 miles (about an hour), likely because they're out
    > front and up high on my trike. I think neoprene booties will be my next purchase, since the duct
    > tape around the cleats provides only minimal insulation. I always wear flannel or fleece-lined
    > jeans and consider a balaclava essential. Heck of a lot less pedestrian traffic on the bike
    > trails, though.

  17. John

    John Guest

    Heck yes I'm slower: more clothes (flexing the lined jeans with every pedal stroke must consume a
    bit of energy), tire compounds get harder, denser air inside them, every lubricant thickens,
    breathing through that balaclava...darn, I'm just glad I get the trike to move.

  18. John

    John Guest

    Heck yes I'm slower: more clothes (flexing the lined jeans with every pedal stroke must consume a
    bit of energy), tire compounds get harder, denser air inside them, every lubricant thickens,
    breathing through that balaclava...darn, I'm just glad I get the trike to move.

  19. Wear Ski Goggles and the balaclava will be fine. Double lens goggles won't fog up. Alternative if U
    don't mind looking like a dork, wear a full face fairing (debris shield), it covers your entire face
    and neck and costs about $10.00. Works well on a trike too.
    "Neil Gaston" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Just got my new V-Rex. Had to take it out to the lake (10 mile circumferential paved trail)
    > despite the 25 degree temp. Only time I was uncomfortable was on the south side of the lake as the
    > morth wind came across the water. My big problem is that my glasses fog up...especially with a
    > balaclava.
    >
    > "Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi Bikers, Been doing 40-60 milers in sub 32F and 20+ knot winds. Seems tough,
    > but
    > > only hard part is psychological, i.e., getting outside and starting.
    After
    > 2
    > > miles, all is wonderful. Ironically, keeping from overheating is a problem. Zipping jacket
    and
    > > shirt help maintain temperature. Motor cycle goggles keep eyes from watering and face warm.
    > > Wouldn't like to fix flat in extreme cold, so cell phone and route
    > with
    > > friends nearby is a caution taken on solo rides. Try cold weather riding on clear roads. You
    > > might just like it.
    > > --
    > > Al Kubeluis ~ Bacchetta Corsa ~ Maryland ~ USA ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

  20. Wear Ski Goggles and the balaclava will be fine. Double lens goggles won't fog up. Alternative if U