Cold Weather Riding

katz

Sep 17, 2005
What's the best thing to wear on bike rides in cold weather? I'm very cold natured, and usually I just don't ride in the winter - but I want to.:p

katz said:
What's the best thing to wear on bike rides in cold weather? I'm very cold natured, and usually I just don't ride in the winter - but I want to.:p
Layers and a headbaband to cover your ears to prevent ear infections. Let me know if someone knows what to wear over your nose and mouth. I ended up with an asthma attack last year.

Depends on how cold it is. For me it's like, under 50 f: warmer socks, arm and legs warmers, wind vest, maybe some light gloves. If it's cloudy, and not likely to warm up much, I'll wear my Columbia coat that was designed for cross-country skiers. Under 40: neoprene booties, Columbia coat, cycling specific pants, light ski cap, ski gloves. Under 30: Camelback under my coat. I'll add warm socks, and maybe some synthetic long johns. Under 20: I'll be riding my beater mountain bike with old school flat pedals. I'll wear hiking boots with heavy socks, a synthetic scarf, heavy ski cap, heavy vest over my coat.

I have some of those neoprene booties but my shoes were too little when I put them on. Or are you supposed to wear them on top of your shoes. In that case my clip on shoes wouldn't work! :mad:

katz said:
I have some of those neoprene booties but my shoes were too little when I put them on. Or are you supposed to wear them on top of your shoes. In that case my clip on shoes wouldn't work! :mad:

The booties go over your shoes, and you have to cut holes in the soles for the cleats if you want to clip into the pedals.

wackydeirdre said:
Layers and a headbaband to cover your ears to prevent ear infections. Let me know if someone knows what to wear over your nose and mouth. I ended up with an asthma attack last year.
I just ordered a mast from Sierratradingpost.com. It is item #56533-27 A Polarwrap mast. Don't know if it will work or how funny it will look - but I'm going to try it. I also walk everyday so I figured it would come in handy then, too!:D

eric_the_red said:
The booties go over your shoes, and you have to cut holes in the soles for the cleats if you want to clip into the pedals.
Duh! How could I be so dumb?:rolleyes:

Dr.Hairybiker said:
Depends on how cold it is. For me it's like, under 50 f: warmer socks, arm and legs warmers, wind vest, maybe some light gloves. If it's cloudy, and not likely to warm up much, I'll wear my Columbia coat that was designed for cross-country skiers. Under 40: neoprene booties, Columbia coat, cycling specific pants, light ski cap, ski gloves. Under 30: Camelback under my coat. I'll add warm socks, and maybe some synthetic long johns. Under 20: I'll be riding my beater mountain bike with old school flat pedals. I'll wear hiking boots with heavy socks, a synthetic scarf, heavy ski cap, heavy vest over my coat.
Where do you get a Columbia Coat?:eek:

cycling specific pants,

I am new to this sport and just went on the Performance web site to look for cycling pants. I only found a couple of pairs of tights with padding. Would I
buy cycling tights without padding to wear under my cycling shorts? Help.

Thank you.

lisa1517 said:
cycling specific pants,

I am new to this sport and just went on the Performance web site to look for cycling pants. I only found a couple of pairs of tights with padding. Would I

Thank you.
Eden would be better able to answer that than I would. I'm still trying to figure out how to bundle up this winter without getting an asthma attack like I did last winter.

lisa1517 said:
cycling specific pants,

Thank you.
No, you always wear your shorts with the chamois next to your skin. You wear the pants/tights/whatever over your shorts.